Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intelligent Speed Assistance - speed warnings

Beefstah

Just out of interest. I have turn off the pings relating to this discussion, opting for visual notification of exceeding speed limit only. My only question follow this is what is the difference between “above speed limit” and “overtaking” ? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Loanwheeler said:

Just out of interest. I have turn off the pings relating to this discussion, opting for visual notification of exceeding speed limit only. My only question follow this is what is the difference between “above speed limit” and “overtaking” ? 

Good question 

On 2/1/2024 at 11:21 PM, Beefstah said:

Well whatever the reason, it's extremely annoying.

Between this and the disaster that is MyToyota - especially the 'Profile not syncing' error that plonks itself across the screen on top of everything else every few minutes - I'm seriously considering returning the vehicle.

Great car mechanically...but the software is disgraceful and Toyota should be ashamed to have released something so poorly designed and tested. It's just one nonsensical frustration after another.

If you set it to visual only notification are you saying it reverts back to audio and visual each time you start your car?

And there's nothing on the vehicle settings web page when you login there, since it took me a while a couple of years to go to realise you can change certain things here.

Are you sure?  If indeed this warning cannot be turned off on 2024 cars that could be a bit annoying.  It certainly can be on 2021 cars.  However I don't think it it is simply the fault of Brussels as has been suggested.  Surely it is just another step on the road to autonomous vehicles? 🤔

I agree. The UK is out of the EU, and the UK spec cars are made in Japan, for the UK market only, so no need to abide by EU regulation... I don't think there are any EU countries that have RHD car as standard...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, chilaspt said:

I agree. The UK is out of the EU, and the UK spec cars are made in Japan, for the UK market only, so no need to abide by EU regulation... I don't think there are any EU countries that have RHD car as standard...

The UK is continuing to follow EU regs as regards vehicle safety. Ireland, Republic of Cyprus and Malta are  in the EU, and are RHD markets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's one of the most infuriating things about Brexit - We've lost all the benefits but we're still operating within all the restrictions, so effectively we've ended up with the worst of both worlds! :wallbash:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The UK is continuing to follow EU regs as regards vehicle safety. Ireland, Republic of Cyprus and Malta are  in the EU, and are RHD markets.

Always learning! Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to buy a new yaris, would I be better getting the 2021 model? 

Thanks 

Louise 

On 2/1/2024 at 11:21 PM, Beefstah said:

the disaster that is MyToyota - especially the 'Profile not syncing' error that plonks itself across the screen on top of everything else every few minutes -

Not had a problem since January and trip data appearing in minutes.  I can't say how many minutes but usually available after I have finished my 'arrival' routine. 

8 hours ago, louiselee said:

Thanks 

Louise 

I wish I had purchased the older model just got the gr sport hybrid thought i was going mad every time i turned the beep off and it came back the next day it drives me mad every time it beeps

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Loanwheeler said:

I believe the RSA feature also recognises the no overtaking sign and will nag you if you try to do so. 
But good to know that you can permanently switch to visual notification only - that would be easier to live with.  The RSA feature is not really good enough to recognise when sighs only apply to a sliproad or a roadabout exit you are NOT taking.  And the roads infrastructure is not good enough to avoid these "misunderstandings".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TerminalOversteer said:

I believe the RSA feature also recognises the no overtaking sign and will nag you if you try to do so. 
But good to know that you can permanently switch to visual notification only - that would be easier to live with.  The RSA feature is not really good enough to recognise when sighs only apply to a sliproad or a roadabout exit you are NOT taking.  And the roads infrastructure is not good enough to avoid these "misunderstandings".

Some folks saying that even switching to visual only warning on the new model is not permanent. It switches back.

Could do with a definitive answer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Some folks saying that even switching to visual only warning on the new model is not permanent. It switches back.

Could do with a definitive answer.

For my car:

I can switch the speed limit change notification to visual only, permanently. 
The over-speed notification (speed>limit+1) can be temporarily changed to off/visual only, only when the car is stopped, and returns to visual and audible after each car start. 
If you want to turn this off whilst in motion - say on motorway with next junction 100 miles away - you can toggle the main RSA function off from the settings menu (up,up,up,up,toggle) but then you get a red warning on the dash, and no speed limit notifications at all (!).

It's the biggest issue so far for me for this car, which ultimately is not that big issue, and eclipsed by how many other things are so brilliant about it. 
Shame really. I'm hoping for a software 'fix' to enable the over-speed tolerance to be changed, but I'm not holding my breath..

• Thanks 3

There are so many issues with the road signs themselves being wrong - concealed by vegetation, angled to wrong one seen, and limited hours school zones being seen out of hours.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, P_J said:

For my car:

I can switch the speed limit change notification to visual only, permanently. 
The over-speed notification (speed>limit+1) can be temporarily changed to off/visual only, only when the car is stopped, and returns to visual and audible after each car start. 
If you want to turn this off whilst in motion - say on motorway with next junction 100 miles away - you can toggle the main RSA function off from the settings menu (up,up,up,up,toggle) but then you get a red warning on the dash, and no speed limit notifications at all (!).

It's the biggest issue so far for me for this car, which ultimately is not that big issue, and eclipsed by how many other things are so brilliant about it. 
Shame really. I'm hoping for a software 'fix' to enable the over-speed tolerance to be changed, but I'm not holding my breath..

Totally agree with you - so many good things, but ‘nanny state’ mentality with the so called safety features.

Out of interest -

With the LTA, is there a way to switch it off permanently, or at least each journey?

I have it set to vibration alert only as audible just annoys me as much as the RSA chimes !

Anything affecting my choice of road positioning, like overtaking a parked car on an otherwise deserted road is simply not a safety feature, IMHO.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Simon, yes.  I think they hope that you will get used to it.

In practise you won't bother/remember if it is a short trip to the shops.  You then find it such a PITA that you accept it.

However there will be so many false alerts it will drive you nuts.

Everyone will have to bombard the officials, Highways, Councils, shopping park owners, MPs to get the proper signage in place.  EVERYTIME.

• Like 3

I'm on a 2021 R4P and it doesn't do smart motorway or other gantry type signs. Since I travel a lot on the motorways on business I was kind of hoping that the 2024 R4P can recognise these signs (I upgrade cars to the GR Sport R4P in September as my 3 years with the current car are up). If it can't recognise them then that itself will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

I'm on a 2021 R4P and it doesn't do smart motorway or other gantry type signs ...

Interesting - my 2020 HEV does. Or to be more precise, it recognises the imposition of a lower limit but rarely the removal of same ... 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Interesting - my 2020 HEV does. Or to be more precise, it recognises the imposition of a lower limit but rarely the removal of same ... 😉

Interesting. 

On 4/24/2024 at 1:12 PM, louiselee said:

Thanks 

Louise 

My Yaris 2023 is visual alert permanently for the speed limit. It would be really bad if 2024 cars cannot set it to visual permanently.

4 hours ago, Nick72 said:

I'm on a 2021 R4P and it doesn't do smart motorway or other gantry type signs. Since I travel a lot on the motorways on business I was kind of hoping that the 2024 R4P can recognise these signs (I upgrade cars to the GR Sport R4P in September as my 3 years with the current car are up). If it can't recognise them then that itself will be interesting.

4 hours ago, philip42h said:

My Yaris does intermittently.

Interestingly, it seems to notice gantry signs more often when it's raining, but then it thinks a 60mph sign is 80mph soooo definitely needs work still :laugh: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

My Yaris 2023 is visual alert permanently for the speed limit. It would be really bad if 2024 cars cannot set it to visual permanently.

I'm afraid that that is exactly how it is unfortunately! 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CPN said:

I'm afraid that that is exactly how it is unfortunately! 😢

It’s really annoying me!  One mile over the limit and off it goes. Even worse when it’s wrong because it’s picked up aside street sign. I shout at it but it doesn’t listen 😡

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I feel your pain Shelagh, I feel your pain...😢

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links