Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intelligent Speed Assistance - speed warnings

Beefstah

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Even GPS isn't 100% accurate, as it is the average speed over a given number of points. 

Although on a good dedicated GNSS receiver (3 constellations) that average is a rolling average at 10Hz on my device (vs 1Hz majority consumer equipment) provided we are talking distances much greater than the GNSS accuracy and precision (so typically over a 40m stretch being 10 times the typical commercial accuracy) which at 30mph is covered in c. 3 seconds, and thus 30 measurement points on my device. So pretty accurate with no realistic margin for error in this context. 

Using smartphones and apps like Waze which shows your speed at a typical 1Hz GNSS background update there's still not much in it, but to your point Frosty there's a chance that for a second or two you might be exceeding the speed limit but this is lost in whatever rolling average window is used by the algorithm that Waze and other phone apps use.

Far more importantly, what colour did you go for?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Doesn't matter what you buy new, it will be the same, all these things are a legal requirement and can be turned off/down, but will default to ON when you start the car next time, annoying? Yes, but still a legal requirement unfortunately, there are plenty of threads on the same topic on here

Strange, on MY June 2023 RAV4 I have switched off all my audibles and they stay off permanently, the only thing I have is the steering wheel vibrator🤔

6 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Mine doesn't. Calibrated with multiple GNSS receivers on flat and level roadways. It states 77mph on the speedo when it's true speed is 70 to 71mph. 34mph is actually 30mph. So we are talking c. 10% over. Or at least this is the case on my 2021 PHEV.

And that's the point really - it will vary from car to car, with tyre brand, tread depth, inflation pressure and possibly temperature too. We shouldn't assume anything other than the speedo won't understate our true speed - we can calibrate our individual cars if we really need to drive as close to the limit as possible.

And, yes, life would be better if the speedometer was more accurate - the legal latitude is unnecessarily wide these days, and excessive audible warnings really are unhelpful.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

Strange, on MY June 2023 RAV4 I have switched off all my audibles and they stay off permanently, the only thing I have is the steering wheel vibrator🤔

Is this a European (Greek?) car? The local homologation rules may be marginally different. The UK is famed for queuing and adhering to the letter of the law where Europeans might take a more relaxed attitude ... 😉

25 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Is this a European (Greek?) car? The local homologation rules may be marginally different. The UK is famed for queuing and adhering to the letter of the law where Europeans might take a more relaxed attitude ... 😉

Yes I do take it to have been built for the Greek market but I would have thought that the EU's homologation rules would have overridden all others and plus simplex standardisation by the manufacturer 🤔

14 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

Yes I do take it to have been built for the Greek market but I would have thought that the EU's homologation rules would have overridden all others and plus simplex standardisation by the manufacturer 🤔

... but the UK isn't in the EU ...

Country specific settings for the UK are applied when the cars go through Burnaston, Derby. I've no idea where they are applied for cars destined for sale in Greece.

There clearly are options / the capability to enable options for the driver to select visual warnings only (no audible warnings) and for these settings to persist / be reset when the car is next started - these are described in the Owner's Manual. I don't have a fancy new car, so I can't actually test for myself ... 😉

A question for the bong bong experts but only for those with the latest bonging cars.

Your car bongs if you have 61 indicated in a 60 zone.  That's a given.

Does it bong if you have the ACC set at 55 and the car goes faster than 55?

I ask,  as my cars bong when I exceed the set speed regardless of the actual limit.   It will do this cresting a rise and accelerates slightly on the down slope before the ACC catches up.

11 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Do you mean DRCC or are you using boring old-fashioned cruise control?

Do you / could you have the speed limiter set?

The issue of going over a rise wouldn't really impact with my RAV4 - it simply doesn't run-away like that. If I set a cruise speed well below the limit and then choose to accelerate to pass a car I'd be 'peeved' if the car complained before I hit the speed limit. If I had set the speed limiter I would probably expect the car to warn me if I were to exceed that set limit.

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

... but the UK isn't in the EU ...

Really, well blow me over......😁Even though we have supposably left the EU the rulings are generally aligned because we drive on the EU roads and vise versa

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

A question for the bong bong experts but only for those with the latest bonging cars.

Your car bongs if you have 61 indicated in a 60 zone.  That's a given.

I ask,  as my cars bong when I exceed the set speed regardless of the actual limit.   It will do this cresting a rise and accelerates slightly on the down slope before the ACC catches up.

Yes it stills does. I was on Spanish highway and set my car on ACC, when the speed limits changed it went bong bong bong and I thought it's so stupid if it's so clever why it didn't reduce the speed? 

• Like 1

Similar topics merged.

36 minutes ago, Torrox said:

why it didn't reduce the speed? 

Because YOU set the speed.

The car (fortunately !) doesn’t have “ACC with traffic sign recognition “ so it followed the limit you set rather than changing to (whatever it read to be ) the reduced speed limit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Because YOU set the speed.

The car (fortunately !) doesn’t have “ACC with traffic sign recognition “ so it followed the limit you set rather than changing to (whatever it read to be ) the reduced speed limit.

But it does! Or, at least, mine does: Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with Road Sign Assist (vehicles with RSA):

When this function is enabled and the system is operating in vehicle-to-vehicle distance control mode, when a speed limit sign is detected, the recognized speed limit will be displayed with an up/down arrow. The set speed can be increased/reduced to the recognized speed limit by pressing and holding the “+RES”/“-SET” switch.

Fortunately, it is not automatic - that might be quite interesting and possibly scary - but is does offer the capability to facilitate switching quickly to a new speed limit.

10 minutes ago, philip42h said:

When this function is enabled

That was my point.

I’m aware some cars have it, my handbook references it and I’ve seen a setting in the central display settings. I haven’t enabled it because, to say the least, speed limit recognition is ‘flaky’.

13 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

That was my point.

I’m aware some cars have it, my handbook references it and I’ve seen a setting in the central display settings. I haven’t enabled it because, to say the least, speed limit recognition is ‘flaky’.

1 hour ago, Torrox said:

Yes it stills does. I was on Spanish highway and set my car on ACC, when the speed limits changed it went bong bong bong and I thought it's so stupid if it's so clever why it didn't reduce the speed? 

And my point was more directed at Thanh ... if you enable the functionality that your car is equipped with you can reduce the set speed with a single button press ...

It will go "bong, bong, bong" and you should verify that it has correctly detected a change in the speed limit (which it does quite well on motorways) but adopting the new speed limit can be very simple. It is quite clever ... 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I have a 'bonger', and I don't recall ever hearing a bong for overrun whilst the ACC is active and set.
I'll try and find a hill crest to test it on sometime and feedback. 

• Thanks 1

And my point was more directed at Thanh ... if you enable the functionality that your car is equipped with you can reduce the set speed with a single button press ...

It will go "bong, bong, bong" and you should verify that it has correctly detected a change in the speed limit (which it does quite well on motorways) but adopting the new speed limit can be very simple. It is quite clever ... 😉

Yes I have done that. A single press-hold + or - button will bring it to the speed limit. But other occasion say I set it at 120km/h on ACC and the car more often goes at 121 km/h then it goes bong bong bong. It was on cruise so it did itself especially if going down a slope so it could have reduced the speed on it own instead of bong bong bong, not very clever in this instance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Torrox said:

But other occasion say I set it at 120km/h on ACC and the car more often goes at 121 km/h then it goes bong bong bong. It was on cruise so it did itself especially if going down a slope so it could have reduced the speed on it own instead of bong bong bong, not very clever in this instance.

Is there not an option to set a tolerance e.g. +3 kph?

No

The longer version of 'no' would be 'yes' but it appears not to be available in the UK:

image.thumb.png.280464c31a2b448b2a5ddfa3a037cac5.png

image.thumb.png.fa5e29e32797d7b2415aaee67867a14b.png

See note 4.

From what owners tell us, somebody, somewhere seems to have decided that we don't need that option in the UK ... 😉 

somebody, somewhere seems to have decided that we don't need that option in the UK

Having this option available, I think, would allow the vast majority of those affected to be at peace with the enforced implementation of bongs. 
And it should really be a simple fix, IF 'somebody, somewhere' would allow it. 

So if it’s available elsewhere is there not the potential to program this into the ECU via an OBD device?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, P_J said:

Having this option available, I think, would allow the vast majority of those affected to be at peace with the enforced implementation of bongs. 
And it should really be a simple fix, IF 'somebody, somewhere' would allow it. 

This is the option that we use in the older, ‘21, versions of the PHEV. Mine is set to +5mph so triggers when the ‘real’ speed is 31/32 mph. (Assuming a 30mph speed limit)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Mine is set to +5mph so triggers when the ‘real’ speed is 31/32 mph

See that would be perfect for most I would imagine. Feel a bit let down that the later versions don't allow it. Never had an issue during test drive, so never thought to investigate further. 
There are occasions when I knowingly and purposefully exceed the road limit, and I would happily except the bongs as a proper warning.
But the usual, careful, near-limit driving I do is littered with bongs to the point I just ignore them, and monitor my speed the old fashioned way; glancing at the speedo and (if I'm on unfamiliar roads) comparing to road signs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links