Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intelligent Speed Assistance - speed warnings

Beefstah

Will help reduce speeding fines 'eh? So is it a valid defence if my car says the speed limit is 120mph, which it very often does? :laugh: 

(The correct answer is No.)

It's just another system training us to ignore the warnings - Mine is constantly telling me to do 20mph on the 40 and 50mph dual-carriage ways and it used to annoy me but now I just ignore the system completely.

How is this helping anyone? It's just a waste of money and processing power.

The only way to fix things is to make drivers better, but they're literally trying to do everything EXCEPT that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Will help reduce speeding fines 'eh? So is it a valid defence if my car says the speed limit is 120mph, which it very often does? :laugh: 

(The correct answer is No.)

It's just another system training us to ignore the warnings - Mine is constantly telling me to do 20mph on the 40 and 50mph dual-carriage ways and it used to annoy me but now I just ignore the system completely.

How is this helping anyone? It's just a waste of money and processing power.

The only way to fix things is to make drivers better, but they're literally trying to do everything EXCEPT that.

Absolutely correct. It's human factors 101.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Given the sale of seat belt socket inserts on Amazon etc so that people can avoid the nagging when they choose to break the law and go unbelted,  I suspect nefarious tech is already working hard at making a fast buck. 

I think so, with the decline in ICE vehicle some of those engine remapping companies may turn their attention to fiddling with other things, they have been fiddling with other systems for years like fooling cars to think they still have catalytic converters or full tanks of Adblue when empty.

Such things even on the RAV are possible, you can currently get small plug in device for a few quid that injects into the electronics system proper tyre pressure readings onto the drivers display. If demand grows, which it will, and there will be a big Europe wide market, there will be modules to quick disengage various systems I have no doubt. 

Ironically the enhanced security measures like encrypted CANBUS we all want, may make it harder, with the old insecure bus, a device may have been able to just spoof the same commands that would have been created by someone going into the menus and disabling the various annoyances.

• Like 1

Had my 2024 GR now for a couple of weeks. Really doesn't bother me turning off the RSA at the beginning of every drive. And as for the LTA I actually turned the sensitivity up for that 😅, i quite like it to be honest, keeps me central on the road without trying.

What does get on my nerves more than anything though is having to accept the multimedia terms and conditions on the blue screen everytime i turn the car on. Some days my profile loads up absolutely fine and i'll think ive got to the bottom of the issue, then the following day ill get back in the car and see the GUEST account has logged in again so i have to reconfirm T's and C's. Rather infuriating because unlike the RSA, you actually have to be stopped and in P before you're allowed to tick the boxes to proceed. Anyone shed some light on this?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Oh the multimedia system is an absolute disgrace. Totally user-hostile, poorly featured, I could go on. 

I wrote the the multimedia support team complaining about it, and they said it was like that due to GDPR. They didn't respond to my follow up highlighting the raft of  issues that had nothing even vaguely to do with GDPR.

• Like 4

Typically software/hardware interfaces written and designed by engineers with little appreciation on how it's likely to be used in the real world. They hit the brief as all the scoped functions are there but somehow miss the fact that humans will need to interact with the equipment. I'm sure they have loads of testing and 'focus groups' that look at this stuff but generally no real users. Sometimes being able to reorder the menu's would help, example on my Android Google Pixel phone the main features that you might want to immediately access can be opened by a simple swipe down from the top of the screen, the buttons can be reordered and moved so that the ones I want appear on the first page and in the priority I want. What would be a pain to constantly find going through the settings app is made easy and fast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Typically software/hardware interfaces written and designed by engineers with little appreciation on how it's likely to be used in the real world. They hit the brief as all the scoped functions are there but somehow miss the fact that humans will need to interact with the equipment. I'm sure they have loads of testing and 'focus groups' that look at this stuff but generally no real users. Sometimes being able to reorder the menu's would help, example on my Android Google Pixel phone the main features that you might want to immediately access can be opened by a simple swipe down from the top of the screen, the buttons can be reordered and moved so that the ones I want appear on the first page and in the priority I want. What would be a pain to constantly find going through the settings app is made easy and fast.

Agree Ernie. And as we know... Any engineering involving human interaction has to include a human factors team. Assuming good engineering is the desired outcome.

• Like 1

If you agree to T&Cs as a named user (i.e. not a guest) then they stay ticked unless they update the T&Cs. 
No need to tick each time. 
Simplest way to do this is to assign your phone to car via bluetooth
When you get in car, the bluetooth connection is made, and the T&Cs are not shown. 

Only time it appears for me is when I forget that I've left bluetooth turned off. 

• Like 1

The trouble with that @P_J is that sometimes it randomly turns on and logs in as guest even though the registered phone is close by and connected ok...

• Like 1

Not if you have two regular drivers; only the 'Primary' device skips the T's and C's.

"So have two named drivers then!"

Ah, but connected services (eg remote climate) only work with account...and you can't share them with another account.

Plus if you have the two named drivers in the car at the same time, the system connects one of them...which may be the wrong device. This is multiplied in unreliability and frustration when you're using Android Auto, and the device that's been detected isn't the device you want to use AA on.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, CPN said:

The trouble with that @P_J is that sometimes it randomly turns on and logs in as guest even though the registered phone is close by and connected ok...

Oh yeah, it does that to. And sometimes makes you enter the password through the touchscreen, or you get repeated, full-screen, press-to-clear 'Profile not synced' warnings.

And entering a proper secure password on that touchscreen is miserable.

• Sad 2

Just now, Beefstah said:

And entering a proper secure password on that touchscreen is miserable.

Absolutely it is! ☹️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beefstah said:

only the 'Primary' device skips the T's and C's.

Ok well I've not come across that problem in my short 3 months of ownership. 
Seems strange that only one device can auto-agree the T&Cs. I'll try a second phone if I get chance, so how that behaves. 

Android Auto for me is not an issue as it only works with the phone I connect to the cable. 

• Like 1

picked up a new  Rav4 Hybrid recently,  there were two speed related beeps when i started driving it, one was for change in speed limit, and second was over speed  limit alert beep.

it was easy to turn off the alert on change of speed limit, and it has been turned off permanently.  the over speed limit beep are 3 beeps once you go over the speed limit, they are very low volume, and with radio on you can just about hear them very low volume.   easy to live with.

the more annoying one was the change of speed limit beep and that was easy to turn off.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 12:01 PM, haelewyn said:

It's a part of the toyota road sign assist system. The abbreviation is RSA system.

See manual/// search for RSA ROAD SIGN ASSIST warnings.

ROAD  SIDE ASSIST, then >>> warnings.

----------------

Explained in short : steering wheel, left side of it, press the ARROW DOWN until you reach a sign for SETTINGS.

Select OK.

Go down again to settings for RSA.

There you can change the warnings. 

I have an aygoX but I trust all systems are a bit the same in toyotas..  if not, try to find a way with the above path. 

Good luck and enjoy !!

Unfortunately these detailed settings are reset on restarting the car. What is annoying for me is that the limit is 20mph on my estate and the camera doesn't pick up the 30mph limit change on exiting as there isn't a sign facing it so stuck with continuous beeping for about 2 miles whilst driving within the speed limit. I consider this dangerous as in similar circumstances someone may start fiddling with the settings whilst driving with nasty consequences.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prcruickshank said:

Unfortunately these detailed settings are reset on restarting the car. What is annoying for me is that the limit is 20mph on my estate and the camera doesn't pick up the 30mph limit change on exiting as there isn't a sign facing it so stuck with continuous beeping for about 2 miles whilst driving within the speed limit. I consider this dangerous as in similar circumstances someone may start fiddling with the settings whilst driving with nasty consequences.  

Correct, 💯. It is dangerous. This is human factors 101 stuff. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 2:24 PM, secretsquirel said:

I have just tried that with mine but it just resets once the ignition is turned off 🤬

Mine too, sadly. It's extremely annoying. The only solution I could find is to put black tape over the front camera, which disables the bleeping permanently at the cost of an orange warning sign on your dashboard.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 12:01 PM, haelewyn said:

It's a part of the toyota road sign assist system. The abbreviation is RSA system.

See manual/// search for RSA ROAD SIGN ASSIST warnings.

ROAD  SIDE ASSIST, then >>> warnings.

----------------

Explained in short : steering wheel, left side of it, press the ARROW DOWN until you reach a sign for SETTINGS.

Select OK.

Go down again to settings for RSA.

There you can change the warnings. 

I have an aygoX but I trust all systems are a bit the same in toyotas..  if not, try to find a way with the above path. 

Good luck and enjoy !!

Doesnt work as reset when you restart the car

On 5/3/2024 at 1:10 PM, P_J said:

For my car:

I can switch the speed limit change notification to visual only, permanently. 
The over-speed notification (speed>limit+1) can be temporarily changed to off/visual only, only when the car is stopped, and returns to visual and audible after each car start. 
If you want to turn this off whilst in motion - say on motorway with next junction 100 miles away - you can toggle the main RSA function off from the settings menu (up,up,up,up,toggle) but then you get a red warning on the dash, and no speed limit notifications at all (!).

It's the biggest issue so far for me for this car, which ultimately is not that big issue, and eclipsed by how many other things are so brilliant about it. 
Shame really. I'm hoping for a software 'fix' to enable the over-speed tolerance to be changed, but I'm not holding my breath..

Toyota ... please read and fix this please.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prcruickshank said:

Toyota ... please read and fix this please.

Toyota doesn't visit the Club, so you need to contact them direct.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2024 at 1:08 PM, CPN said:

I DID email the customer service people and complained about this repeated faff. I got this reply:

Thank you for your email.

I will filter your feedback to the relevant teams involved in product design, I'm at present there is no plans to change the way the system operates. 

As for your issue with trips being recorded, this is usually ties to a profile not being loaded at the time the journey started, you will need to ensure your profile is loaded before your put the car into Drive otherwise the trip will not be recorded as consent to record your location is tied to your profile being logged in. 

Kind regards,
Amar

Amar Selli
Multimedia & Connected Car Support

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sarfendboy said:

Mine too, sadly. It's extremely annoying. The only solution I could find is to put black tape over the front camera, which disables the bleeping permanently at the cost of an orange warning sign on your dashboard.

Which probably also disabled several safety features on the car which use vision, like cyclist detection etc. 

Best thing Toyota could do is make sure it only goes off when you are actually over the speed limit versus now which is about 7% below the speed limit because of the over speed bias of the Speedo.

Next best thing is to enable one press switch off at the beginning of each journey.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Which probably also disabled several safety features on the car which use vision, like cyclist detection etc. 

Best thing Toyota could do is make sure it only goes off when you are actually over the speed limit versus now which is about 7% below the speed limit because of the over speed bias of the Speedo.

Next best thing is to enable one press switch off at the beginning of each journey.

Which is what Ford BMW Mazda and others have done.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2024 at 6:53 PM, Nick72 said:

That's good to hear on both the ride quality and the stereo. Yes, circular European socket. I got a converter that plugs in and has a mains socket on it. I just leave it in because it's relatively flush. I think it might have been @ernieb that suggested it. Not that I've plugged anything in yet given the low wattage but may be useful one day. Shame about the lack of net in the cubby in the boot. Ideal little spot for plastic bottles of water. I may need to make something for that. 

My biggest disappointment with the 2021 PHEV was the shockingly bad reversing camera. VHS long play quality and the low resolution infotainment display. Had many company hire cars with low specs far from premium which were better. Plus coming from a high spec Merc also clouded my judgement. So I'm glad to hear this is now pretty good. I believe you can set it to come on automatically in 360 when driving at very low speed which for me is a huge benefit as I'm navigating cliff edges and low rocks on some of the mountain roads around the north Lake District where I spend a lot of time April to October.

Heated steering wheel a bonus as my hands and feet really feel the cold.

How is the MyT Toyota App as I believe you get extra functions?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Nick, yes you can have the 360 and front view camera switching on automatically below about 3mph. I found it by accident, but is great for parking etc.  

the graphics are actually very good. Not quite as good as BMW for instance, but definitely high res.

• Thanks 1

It's not very difficult to physically dampen the buzzer. Here is how to do it for RAV4, you may need to use Google translate: https://www.drive2.ru/l/674779907766617151 Instrument cluster removal: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JnJrdXK5A

After doing the mod you may want to clear the OBD error due to removal of instrument cluster (easily done via Carista or Car Scanner. Error is not showing up, only stored by the ecu) I silenced the buzzer for my car, but with some foam tape, and I no longer hear the audio notifications. Drawback is that seatbelt chimes are quieter than before. Maybe not a drawback.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links