Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intelligent Speed Assistance - speed warnings

Beefstah

6 hours ago, IG6 said:

Nick, yes you can have the 360 and front view camera switching on automatically below about 3mph. I found it by accident, but is great for parking etc.  

the graphics are actually very good. Not quite as good as BMW for instance, but definitely high res.

A godsend. Looking forward to that.

6 hours ago, IG6 said:

Nick, yes you can have the 360 and front view camera switching on automatically below about 3mph. I found it by accident, but is great for parking etc.  

the graphics are actually very good. Not quite as good as BMW for instance, but definitely high res.

Ooh, how do you get it to always turn on automatically? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueluc said:

It's not very difficult to physically dampen the buzzer. Here is how to do it for RAV4, you may need to use Google translate: https://www.drive2.ru/l/674779907766617151 Instrument cluster removal: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3JnJrdXK5A

After doing the mod you may want to clear the OBD error due to removal of instrument cluster (easily done via Carista or Car Scanner. Error is not showing up, only stored by the ecu) I silenced the buzzer for my car, but with some foam tape, and I no longer hear the audio notifications. Drawback is that seatbelt chimes are quieter than before. Maybe not a drawback.

What about chimes that matter like collision warning and brake warning?

On 8/23/2024 at 7:25 PM, Nick72 said:

What about chimes that matter like collision warning and brake warning?

These remain audible with quite high volume. Parking sensors as well.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 5:23 PM, Beefstah said:

When the reverse camera comes on the display, there is an option on the rhs list to have the auto camera on. Page 221 of the multimedia manual shows it.

once vehicle speed drops below about 3mph it comes on automatically to show front view.

RAV4 Multimedia page 221.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IG6 said:

When the reverse camera comes on the display, there is an option on the rhs list to have the auto camera on. Page 221 of the multimedia manual shows it.

once vehicle speed drops below about 3mph it comes on automatically to show front view.

RAV4 Multimedia page 221.jpg

Actually it’s 6mph, just found it on page 224.

RAV4 Multimedia page 224.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 5:23 PM, Beefstah said:
On 8/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, IG6 said:

... which means that you get 360-degree parking mode view every time that you slow for a jam or junction. I played with that for less than a day before deciding that at junctions I would generally prefer to stick with the navigation screen and on most other occasions the screen switching is just another distraction.

It's pretty simple to press the button when you want "view mode" ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IG6 said:

Actually it’s 6mph, just found it on page 224.

RAV4 Multimedia page 224.jpg

That is super useful.

8 hours ago, philip42h said:

... which means that you get 360-degree parking mode view every time that you slow for a jam or junction. I played with that for less than a day before deciding that at junctions I would generally prefer to stick with the navigation screen and on most other occasions the screen switching is just another distraction.

It's pretty simple to press the button when you want "view mode" ...

That's a good point. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading a forum that was talking about this subject and I wanted to add my two-pennyworth, so I joined the owners club.  Now I cant find the thread I was on.  This subject so annoyed me I wanted to post here and find out if anybody has found a work round.  I am reduced to trying to find the beeper and disconnecting it. (Joke but that's how I feel), let me explain.

In July I received my shiny new RAV4 GR Sport PHEV, it replaced my older RAV4 PHEV which I was very happy with.  After setting the car up as I wanted through the menu system, I found that every time the car is turned on, some of the setting revert to factory default, and I cannot change their default settings.  I later found out the dealer had no idea of this change, and it's an EU directive and cannot be changed.

I can live with the lane assist and lane centring having to be turned off every time, it's simply a matter of holding one button on the steering wheel for a few seconds, what I cannot live with is the over speed warning, it is a lengthy process that makes it unfeasible to turn off every time the car is started.  Don't speed I hear you say, I Don't !!  Everybody knows you have a few miles an hour on the clock, even at thirty before you actually are doing thirty. but even when the digital speed readout says thirty, I still get this annoying 3 beeps.  Not only that, when going down a road that has had roadworks on it some time in the past several year, the GPS still says its a thirty and the three beeps go off again, even when your not speeding.  

I don't even want the warning turned off, I just want the ability to change the default settings to visual warning only.  This is an option in the menu system, but I cannot make this the default option.  Also, unlike the slightly older mode, I cannot add an adjustment of a couple of miles an hour before it goes off, this is not even an option any more.

HELP, what can I do, this is severely effecting my enjoyment of what otherwise would be a very good car.

Do Toyota read any of these posts, or is there somewhere official I can complain to??

That's my rant over, does anybody else feel the same way?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PJF said:

Do Toyota read any of these posts

As far as I'm aware Toyota don't visit the Club, and they certainly won't reply to posts here.

As Intelligent Speed Assistance is a mandatory fitment on all new cars after July 2024, it cannot be permanently turned off.

Complain to Toyota GB Customer Services if you wish, but it will be a wasted effort.

Similar topics merged.

• Like 1

Feel your pain.

It's distracting and counterproductive.

music volume at 30 does however make it mostly go away. 😂

What's odd is the SA can be switched off on the steering wheel. Long press on the steering wheel button at any time. 

What would be great is if you could long press the adaptive cruise or other button to disable the speed warnings. If you're already on your long trip and you forgot to go through the menus before setting off then you are stuck with it until your destination or you're forced to pull over. Another distraction risk.

What is annoying me most is not so much the over speed ping bong but the speed limit change warnings. That's more of a big PONG and it's erroneously going off every 20 seconds driving in my neck of the woods with all the side roads with 20mph signs from the 30 or 40s main roads. And then correcting itself back with another PONG. I feel like I'm inside a Gameboy. Must remember to switch it off! 

There may be a secret button combo you know! It's worth a random sweep. Like on an old DVD player I had. Think it was a Samsung 807. It enabled multiregion!

• Like 1

So who knows the secret button press sequence from the steering wheel to turn off the RSA speed limit warnings at any point? There's got to be something!

4 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Feel your pain.

It's distracting and counterproductive.

Music volume at 30 does however make it mostly go away. 😂

What's odd is the SA can be switched off on the steering wheel. Long press on the steering wheel button at any time. 

What would be great is if you could long press the adaptive cruise or other button to disable the speed warnings. If you're already on your long trip and you forgot to go through the menus before setting off then you are stuck with it until your destination or you're forced to pull over. Another distraction risk.

What is annoying me most is not so much the over speed ping bong but the speed limit change warnings. That's more of a big PONG and it's erroneously going off every 20 seconds driving in my neck of the woods with all the side roads with 20mph signs from the 30 or 40s main roads. And then correcting itself back with another PONG. I feel like I'm inside a Gameboy. Must remember to switch it off! 

There may be a secret button combo you know! It's worth a random sweep. Like on an old DVD player I had. Think it was a Samsung 807. It enabled multiregion!

the most annoying of the beeps is the change in speed limit one, luckily that can be turned off and it stays off.  the over speed limit beep when the radio is on is very low.  I was driving on the motorway last week,  and the  road sign detection, picked up a speed sign on an exit of the motorway  as I was passing it,  which was 80km/h,  the limit on the motorway was 120 km/h  so it started beeping even though I was under the speed limit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2024IE said:

the most annoying of the beeps is the change in speed limit one, luckily that can be turned off and it stays off.  the over speed limit beep when the radio is on is very low.  I was driving on the motorway last week,  and the  road sign detection, picked up a speed sign on an exit of the motorway  as I was passing it,  which was 80km/h,  the limit on the motorway was 120 km/h  so it started beeping even though I was under the speed limit.

Oh that's great news. I didn't know you could turn off the speed limit change warning permanently. That's a godsend! Thank you.

I'm going to faff with it tomorrow.

Quick question... What on Earth is this which came in a bundle of stuff from the lease company we use in our business...

20240909_141748.jpg

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Nick72 said:

Oh that's great news. I didn't know you could turn off the speed limit change warning permanently. That's a godsend! Thank you.

I'm going to faff with it tomorrow.

I had just turned off the speed limit change beep, and next day bought a new dash cam. set it up and was driving, and then that started to beep  when the speed limit changed, as it had speed sign detection built in. 🤣  so had to turn that off  also. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, J2024IE said:

I had just turned off the speed limit change beep, and next day bought a new dash cam. set it up and was driving, and then that started to beep  when the speed limit changed, as it had speed sign detection built in. 🤣  so had to turn that off  also. 

There's no escape.

I'm all in for safety systems, sticking to speed limits, etc. But when a tool becomes so annoying that it's now distracting your attention from where it needs to be it has just got to go.

Tomorrow I'm going to try random button presses, short and long, and together, on the steering wheel to see if there's a secret cancellation method for the RSA beeping so I'm not having to faff in the menus. I was born an optimist. 😂

20 hours ago, Nick72 said:

So who knows the secret button press sequence from the steering wheel to turn off the RSA speed limit warnings at any point? There's got to be something!

I use the following (which works on the love too).

Assuming you have ‘settings’ showing on the dash display:

ok

up arrow three times

ok

return arrow.

This disables road sign assist completely, including the speed warnings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IG6 said:

I use the following (which works on the love too).

Assuming you have ‘settings’ showing on the dash display:

ok

up arrow three times

ok

return arrow.

This disables road sign assist completely, including the speed warnings.

Move, not love….😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IG6 said:

Move, not love….😂

Oh I didn't know you disable it once driving.

Its getting less annoying by the day. I've now permanently switched off the speed change pong bong too. 

Thank you

On reflection having read all the really helpful posts here this is nowhere near as bad as I first thought.

To summarise to help folks landing in this thread... If you don't want to distracted or bothered by the constant ping bongs...

1. You can permanently switch off speed limit change warning in the driver display settings menu. This for me is the worst offender with all the false positives from side roads you drive past.

2. You can disable the RSA completely before your drive AND during your drive through driver display settings. Once you've done it a few times it's easy to do. As IG6 says... Long press OK with settings icon in the mid portion of the driver display, up bottom 3 times, press OK, press return or back button. Done. 

3. Steering Assist can be disabled by Long Press of the LTA button on the steering wheel at any time.

If you want the speed limit warnings but don't want them intrusive you can switch them to visual only or just turn your music up. Personally I like the visual warnings but not the audio. That's a couple more button presses and unsure if you can switch warning type during a drive. Yet to try.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

On reflection having read all the really helpful posts here this is nowhere near as bad as I first thought.

To summarise to help folks landing in this thread... If you don't want to distracted or bothered by the constant ping bongs...

1. You can permanently switch off speed limit change warning in the driver display settings menu. This for me is the worst offender with all the false positives from side roads you drive past.

2. You can disable the RSA completely before your drive AND during your drive through driver display settings. Once you've done it a few times it's easy to do. As IG6 says... Long press OK with settings icon in the mid portion of the driver display, up bottom 3 times, press OK, press return or back button. Done. 

3. Steering Assist can be disabled by Long Press of the LTA button on the steering wheel at any time.

If you want the speed limit warnings but don't want them intrusive you can switch them to visual only or just turn your music up. Personally I like the visual warnings but not the audio. That's a couple more button presses and unsure if you can switch warning type during a drive. Yet to try.

Summary Bob on.

You can’t switch speed warning to visual only whilst moving though, which is a pain if you forget to do it before driving off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IG6 said:

Summary Bob on.

You can’t switch speed warning to visual only whilst moving though, which is a pain if you forget to do it before driving off.

Thanks.

I assume that when we switch RSA off there's no current speed limit indication shown on the HUD or drivers display? I hope that's not the case and that it still shows the current speed limit but without visual (I think the limit sign goes red) or the audio warnings. 

Quite often I'm thinking, what speed limit is it. 

16 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Thanks.

I assume that when we switch RSA off there's no current speed limit indication shown on the HUD or drivers display? I hope that's not the case and that it still shows the current speed limit but without visual (I think the limit sign goes red) or the audio warnings. 

Quite often I'm thinking, what speed limit is it. 

No, it turns it all off, so no speed limit shown.

I have found though that it wasn’t that reliable really. It often picked up 20mph signs on side roads when still on the 30mph main road, or it didn’t see the signs at all.

So now I just use CarPlay to show maps that display the speed limit far more accurately.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links