Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

dealer fitted. nextbase 380gw dash cam

twintopp

A bit of maths for you.

My Dashcam videos are about 90Mb/minute.  With a 32Gb card you can record for about 6 hours.

That will allow you to record of most of the longest trip in a day.  For a typical weekend away you will get most of the trip.

I drive between 24 and 42 hours per month.   Where my full 32Gb is available the card is over written between 3 and 6 times.

Now suppose you were to receive a notice of intended prosecution within the 14 day notice period (not sure about car parks) your video could have been over written more than once.

A 64Gb card might in most cases capture the relevant time period.  A 128Gb card would give greater assurassurance.

If however you thought you might have run a red light, hit the protect button and the preceding and current video will be protected.

The larger card however will cover unknown events such as a cloned number plate transgression. 

Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

A bit of maths for you.

My dashcam videos are about 90Mb/minute.  With a 32Gb card you can record for about 6 hours.

That will allow you to record of most of the longest trip in a day.  For a typical weekend away you will get most of the trip.

I drive between 24 and 42 hours per month.   Where my full 32Gb is available the card is over written between 3 and 6 times.

Now suppose you were to receive a notice of intended prosecution within the 14 day notice period (not sure about car parks) your video could have been over written more than once.

A 64Gb card might in most cases capture the relevant time period.  A 128Gb card would give greater assurassurance.

If however you thought you might have run a red light, hit the protect button and the preceding and current video will be protected.

The larger card however will cover unknown events such as a cloned number plate transgression. 

Just a thought.

Good point, note integral security micro sd cards on Amazon are £14.95 for 128gb, these cards are designed for dashcams, I’ve used for a while with no issues. At this price no need to use small cards and risk no having the footage you need

Simon,  how have you determined,no issues'?

I had a SanDisk card,  only on checking my data did I discover chunks of data had not been recorded.  Problem of course was it card or cam?

With my Nextbase Cam it cleared when a new card was fitted.

• Like 1

Just had a look at my Nextbase manual.  With dual cameras the storage period is halved  - 32Gb just 3 hours.  In other words you will overwrite the start of many journeys by the time you arrive.

A 128Gb should last 12 hours.  For the average user doing 1,000miles/month that will last 10 days or so.

It's quite obvious that 32Gb is really a waste of money.

BTW, Nextbase would charge £55 for the 128Gb.

I use SanDisk Extreme 128 GB microSDXC... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FCMKK5X?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share successfully in the 380gwx

The 256gb version works but when full, the delete/over write causes recording to stop and restart continually. Can't recall if it was 64 or 128 quoted as recommended max size for this dash cam

To roy124's point, I successfully avoided a parking fine from one of those awful private companies using stills from the footage which clearly showed I was not in the car park at the time they said. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure that Nextbase state the maximum size for sd card in the 380GWX is 128Gb

10 minutes ago, Basil-BarryC said:

Pretty sure that Nextbase state the maximum size for sd card in the 380GWX is 128Gb

Yes you're right... They do say use their brand. 

Of interest, latest firmware is dated 17th January this year. I thought they had long stopped updating! 

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Just had a look at my Nextbase manual.  With dual cameras the storage period is halved  - 32Gb just 3 hours.  In other words you will overwrite the start of many journeys by the time you arrive.

A 128Gb should last 12 hours.  For the average user doing 1,000miles/month that will last 10 days or so.

It's quite obvious that 32Gb is really a waste of money.

BTW, Nextbase would charge £55 for the 128Gb.

Yes I found Nextbase want you to use their expensive cards and they aren’t that reliable, they exchanged one for me that was faulty, maybe the fixed the firmware to their own brand, you do need a card designed for constant overwriting that’s why I pointed to integral security cards which dashcams.co.uk recommend.  128gb is £15 when Nextbase is £55.

I’m no longer a Nextbase fan and switched to fine vu gx1000 which has a parking mode that actually works and lasts for hours with really minimal Battery drain, best I’ve ever seen

37 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

Of interest, latest firmware is dated 17th January this year. I thought they had long stopped updating! 

Yes latest version is R5.3 according to their official website however I’ve tried to download and install this three times ( I’ve previously successfully updated to ver R5.1 ) but it just will not accept the update. I know the firmware update has partially been successful as I need to reset some of the audio and parking mode. Very strange 🤔

1 hour ago, trashman1965 said:

I updated mine (I just stumbled on the update).  I had problems running the update.  Nextbase gave me some advice but I stumbled on the problem. 

The Dashcam was in protected mode.  I found out how to unprotect and then run the update. Don't remember the procedure. 

@Basil-BarryC you probably have the same issue.  Search the FAQ or Google.

In the manual,  page 18, it describes the Protect Button for the SD Card.  It has a different function when connecting camera to the computer.  I think you need to press the button before connecting computer and keep pressing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I updated mine (I just stumbled on the update).  I had problems running the update.  Nextbase gave me some advice but I stumbled on the problem. 

The dashcam was in protected mode.  I found out how to unprotect and then run the update. Don't remember the procedure. 

In the manual,  page 18, it describes the Protect Button for the SD Card.  It has a different function when connecting camera to the computer.  I think you need to press the button before connecting computer and keep pressing.

Thanks I’ll give that a try 👍

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

The dashcam was in protected mode.  I found out how to unprotect and then run the update. Don't remember the procedure. 

Did you notice any improvements after the latest firmware?

11 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

Did you notice any improvements after the latest firmware?

Can't even remember what it was supposed to do.

My reason for keeping is up to date is if the next update is really important an update should be easier🤞

The firmware update applies 380GWG and not the 380GW.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Can't even remember what it was supposed to do.

My reason for keeping is up to date is if the next update is really important an update should be easier🤞

The firmware update applies 380GWG and not the 380GW.

Thanks - I guess if you haven't noticed it can't have done much 😂😂

• 5 months later...

Nextbase 380 webcam - bleep bleep bleep 

Purchased new Yaris cross in Dec 23 and got the extra Nextbase 380cwx. it will not stop bleeping.

every ten second beep beep beep - unplugging rear cam no change. 

Nextbase answer was it has no memory card or Battery - so after purchasing both for over £70, I found out it already had both!

Pd off with dealler and nextbase as neither want to sort out issue.

• Sad 2

To pick up a few things from this thread:

1. I ordered a Battery for my (dealer fitted) 380gw before the car arrived and when I opened the hatch in the main unit to install it found one was already inside!  At least I have a spare.

2. I found the App useless for connecting until a technician at my dealer looked at it with me and said I was using an out of date App.  We installed Cam Viewer and that has worked flawlessly.

3. Armed with that knowledge I downloaded an up-to-date player for my PC (MyNextbase Player) which also showed the position on a map which the old one didn't.

4. Despite having an internal Battery, Nextbase Parking Mode only records after it has detected an impact.  A Road Angel camera fitted to a previous car recorded before and after if it detected movement  or impact.  It ran off the car's 12V Battery and shut down if the voltage dropped.

It did once help someone else when a mobility scooter user ran off the kerb and got wedged against someone's car that was a dealer's loan vehicle.  In freeing it, they managed to rip off the passenger door mirror.  When the driver of that car returned and saw the damage he noticed a light in my windscreen and came into the restaurant opposite where I was dining.  Fortunately for him, when I showed the footage to his dealer they let him off the £500 excess they could have charged him.  My 380 GW wouldn't have recorded anything.
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, SDF2015 said:

NEXTBASE 380 webcam - bleep bleep bleep...

Just a long shot (and apologies if you've done this), have you tried reformatting the SD Card?

• Like 2

That’s a good shout, the internal memory card needs formatting every 3-4weeks as the protected files build up and the camera cannot then record to the card. I forgot to do this and the protected files built up decreasing the available file space.

Also if you connect to your phone it’s possible to turn off the audible notification in the settings menu

manual here:- https://cdn.nextbase.co.uk/manuals/B4A2C8E8-1697-4A35-B921-2A86A99F6324/NBDVR380GWXRCB - Instruction Manual (English R15).pdf

• Like 1

The card can also be formatted without the app by holding the record button down for 7 seconds after turning recording off. 

I’ve found on mine it takes a couple of tries to connect the app to the Dashcam through WiFi so it’s quicker to use the button. 

The parking mode does fill up the card with protected files - unfortunately you can’t adjust any settings such as sensitivity/etc for this. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 8:13 PM, simond64 said:

Good point, note integral security micro sd cards on Amazon are £14.95 for 128gb, these cards are designed for dashcams, I’ve used for a while with no issues. At this price no need to use small cards and risk no having the footage you need

Update Jul 24. 128gb integral security sd cards now £20.95 on Amazon. ' deja vu ' all over again. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links