Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving abroad

TwoZeroAlpha

Hi folks, 

Having just purchased a C-HR (new shape), we're heading to Flanders in late March. 

I can't seem to find anywhere in the owner's manual (huge content - bewildering) about adjusting the headlights for driving in countries with right hand side driving. 

Any ideas or are the headlights already set up to just dip down and up, rather than down and to the left as in British Isles?

Thanks in advance, 

Brian (newbie) 

The headlights on a right-hand drive car will dip to the left to better illuminate the kerb / verge. That is not, of itself, an issue when driving on the right.

What is important is that the lights do not tick up to the left because that would dazzle oncoming drivers when driving on the right. Modern cars with LED headlights have beams that are flat - there is a sharp cut-off so that no light 'escapes' to dazzle oncoming drivers.

The only way to be sure is to park your car facing a wall at night and examine the headlight beam. If it ticks up to the left, you will need standard beam adapters. I'm 90% certain that a new shape C-HR will have an absolutely flat beam pattern and you will be good to go exactly as you are ...

13 hours ago, philip42h said:

The headlights on a right-hand drive car will dip to the left to better illuminate the kerb / verge. That is not, of itself, an issue when driving on the right.

What is important is that the lights do not tick up to the left because that would dazzle oncoming drivers when driving on the right. Modern cars with LED headlights have beams that are flat - there is a sharp cut-off so that no light 'escapes' to dazzle oncoming drivers.

The only way to be sure is to park your car facing a wall at night and examine the headlight beam. If it ticks up to the left, you will need standard beam adapters. I'm 90% certain that a new shape C-HR will have an absolutely flat beam pattern and you will be good to go exactly as you are ...

My GR MY22 (old shape) did not require any adapters as it was a flat beam. I cannot see any manufacturer going back on that design of headlights but cannot answer for a MY24.

Thanks for the replies guys, kinda suspected that they may indeed be flat beams (don't dip right or left). We took a UK 2014 plate Renault Megane into France years back and it passed the local CT (MOT) without any issue with the lights - turned out they were similar - not left or right dipping. 

I'll run the wall test as suggested by Chrisg99 and that will set my mind at east. 

Thanks again - looking forward to Flanders and it's tributes to those heroes of the first world war. 

Safe driving,

Brian

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 11:59 PM, TwoZeroAlpha said:

Thanks for the replies guys, kinda suspected that they may indeed be flat beams (don't dip right or left). We took a UK 2014 plate Renault Megane into France years back and it passed the local CT (MOT) without any issue with the lights - turned out they were similar - not left or right dipping. 

I'll run the wall test as suggested by Chrisg99 and that will set my mind at east. 

Thanks again - looking forward to Flanders and it's tributes to those heroes of the first world war. 

Safe driving,

Brian

Brian, I’d be interested in your result. Pick up my 24 C-HR in May and driving to Greece in August. Let me know how you got on…

kr

Dave

1 hour ago, Stokesy65 said:

Brian, I’d be interested in your result. Pick up my 24 C-HR in May and driving to Greece in August. Let me know how you got on…

kr

Dave

Gese that's an epic. Driving all the way or ferry from Italy?

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on picking the new C-HR, nice to look forward to May and it's arrival. 

I'll post here with my findings - I have (apparently) Bi-LED headlamps - whatever they are! 

Best wishes on your trip, like you, I'm looking forward to my Flanders trip. 

Safe driving, 

Brian 

12 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

Gese that's an epic. Driving all the way or ferry from Italy?

John I may be mad but not that mad! Yes ferry from Ancona to Patras! Stoke, Dover, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Greece….

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links