Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid battery failed too early? 147k miles

Mihai24

Hi,

The hybrid Battery on my 15 plates Auris touring has failed at just over 147k miles. 
I am wondering if it is too early or it's just bad luck? I learned that most users have replaced or serviced the Battery at 200k+ miles. Before the Battery failure I have noticed some unusual symptoms such as some sort of nudge when the car switched from EV to ICE, battery charging/discharging quite fast and ICE running a lot when the car was on standstill.

Car is a PCO vehicle in London

Has anyone else experienced this issues and would anyone recommend Toyota for battery replacement or other reputable garages in or around London?

Regards

IMG_3160.jpeg

• Sad 1

So have the fault code come back as a hybrid Battery failure? Maybe just the filter got clogged up??

Tony is about to buy the hybrid Battery for his auris and DIY fit. He'll drop by here and can advise later. 

• Like 5

Hi Mihai, has the car been regularly serviced by Toyota 

15 Year Toyota Hybrid Battery Cover

In addition to the manufacturer warranty, your Toyota Hybrid Battery can benefit from up to 15 years of warranty in total. With every service at a Toyota dealer, the warranty is extended for a further 12 months, up to the 15th year of registration.😄

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

So have the fault code come back as a hybrid battery failure? Maybe just the filter got clogged up??

Tony is about to buy the hybrid battery for his auris and DIY fit. He'll drop by here and can advise later. 

Yes. The code is P0A80 replace Battery pack. Also 5 Battery blocks have really low voltage, I can't remember exactly the figures but I remember something around 6V per block (as far as I am aware a healthy one should have around 14v). I am regularly cleaning the filter but thanks for asking

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bper said:

your Toyota Hybrid battery can benefit from up to 15 years of warranty in total.

From the OP's post the vehicle is a taxi. The hybrid Battery extended warranty doesn't apply for vehicles which are professionally used as taxis and already have had five Hybrid Battery Health Checks.

Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

nevermind

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

you need to check for codes, most common reson for that message is the filter needs cleaning on the fan under the back seat

Got P0A80 replace Battery pack. Filter has been cleaned regularly. Got low voltage on 5 cell blocks unfortunately altough I am not sure how accurate the OBD is

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

From the OP's post the vehicle is a taxi. The hybrid battery extended warranty doesn't apply for vehicles which are professionally used as taxis and already have had five Hybrid Battery Health Checks.

Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

Thanks Mike but does that also apply if you did buy a used Toyota that has been used as a taxi with lower milage and say 5 years old.👍

Not sure about that scenario, but I do remember another taxi driver who posted on the Club, and who was caught out by this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bper said:

Thanks Mike but does that also apply if you did buy a used Toyota that has been used as a taxi with lower milage and say 5 years old.👍

Bought it 2 years ago when it had 86k miles so I reckon it does not apply in my case but thank you. Previous owner never mentioned about extended warranty. I don't know exactly how the whole process works but the previous owner had it on finance then the car got stolen in Jan 2021 and found by the police in December 2021 in impecable condition, only with driver's window smashed and 4 miles more on the odometer (very odd I know)  

Maybe the fact that it hasn't been driven for nearly one year had an impact on the hybrid system

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not sure about that scenario, but I do remember another taxi driver who posted on the Club, and who was caught out by this.

Reading through the terms and conditions of the Hybrid Battery extended warranty it doesn't appear to mention anywhere that taxis are not covered. Surely if this was the case then  private hire along with UBER hybrid would also not be covered. The resale of these vehicles would be rock bottom.  It also begs a question of why they would not be covered as what would be the difference from a taxi with high milage then a rep or high milage driver.😄

• Like 2

It also needs to be serviced every 10k miles or annually for any chance of the warranty. The 1 year of being stolen and not driven would have had a negative impact on the life of the hybrid Battery for sure.  

• Like 5

It's out of any warrantee as it's over 100k miles

the Battery is about £2500 (£1600-1800 for the pack) even is you buy a pack and fit it your self there is a large core charge refunded on return

• Like 6

Hi, 

yes it seems a bit premature wear on hybrid Battery to finish at 150k miles but again it depends on use of the car, conditions, how often the filter was cleaned, replaced, and also on the elements like for example  any moisture, higher temperature, a lots of city driving etc. My one gave up at around 260000 miles 13.5 years old , but I managed to drive another 8000 miles ever since , I just learned how to drive with bad Battery and I was resetting the fault few times a week.  
There are many places who offer hybrid service, reconditioning of the pack and or replacing dead Battery modules but imo this is waste of time especially on any battery older than 5 years or more.
Just buy new from a Toyota dealer.  Reconditioned batteries or use of non original Toyota cells often brings same faults shortly after. 
The problem here is that the dealers wants upfront full payment £1448 + £1000 surcharge for your old battery. This is non refundable, non returnable high cost bill of £2500. Then after you replace the battery within 20 days you need to return your old one to get your £1000 surcharge money back. 
It is very risky, complicated and unnecessary hassle. 
If you prefer them to fit for you it will be £1448 for the battery +3hrs  labour at around £470 total cost £1930 + money. Most dealers are busy and will make you wait at least a week or 10 days before they can book you in. 
Today I just went ahead and ordered a new battery from my local Toyota branch and expecting delivery from Wednesday onwards. Hopefully the weather will allow me to put it in. All work planned for Wednesday or Thursday. 
image.thumb.jpeg.cb82b5884e7c152a738ce817f9f6f57e.jpeg

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

yes it seems a bit premature wear on hybrid battery to finish at 150k miles but again it depends on use of the car, conditions, how often the filter was cleaned, replaced, and also on the elements like for example  any moisture, higher temperature, a lots of city driving etc. My one gave up at around 260000 miles 13.5 years old , but I managed to drive another 8000 miles ever since , I just learned how to drive with bad battery and I was resetting the fault few times a week.  
There are many places who offer hybrid service, reconditioning of the pack and or replacing dead battery modules but imo this is waste of time especially on any battery older than 5 years or more.
Just buy new from a Toyota dealer.  Reconditioned batteries or use of non original Toyota cells often brings same faults shortly after. 
The problem here is that the dealers wants upfront full payment £1448 + £1000 surcharge for your old battery. This is non refundable, non returnable high cost bill of £2500. Then after you replace the battery within 20 days you need to return your old one to get your £1000 surcharge money back. 
If you prefer them to fit for you it will be £1448 for the battery +3hrs  labour at around £470 total cost £1930 + money. Most dealers are busy and will make you wait at least a week or 10 days before they can book you in. 
Today I just went ahead and ordered a new battery from my local Toyota branch and expecting delivery from Wednesday onwards. Hopefully the weather will allow me to put it in. All work planned for Wednesday or Thursday. 

I used to drive rental Priuses and some of them had over 220k on original Battery and no minicab office bothered to service the batteries, and that made me confident that I will get to 200k on my Auris without issues but I believe that, the fact that the car has been stolen and hasn't been driven for a year played an important role in the Battery lifespan. 

From the pic I take it that Toyota offers warranty only of you service the car at them? It would be an inconvenient as I change the oil 3-4 times/year but in the same time I don't know other reputable sellers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

yes it seems a bit premature wear on hybrid battery to finish at 150k miles but again it depends on use of the car, conditions, how often the filter was cleaned, replaced, and also on the elements like for example  any moisture, higher temperature, a lots of city driving etc. My one gave up at around 260000 miles 13.5 years old , but I managed to drive another 8000 miles ever since , I just learned how to drive with bad battery and I was resetting the fault few times a week.  
There are many places who offer hybrid service, reconditioning of the pack and or replacing dead battery modules but imo this is waste of time especially on any battery older than 5 years or more.

Ooh we'll need to get anchorman down to film the replacement - I'm sure he'd enjoy it given how eager he is to tear apart his own brand new cars! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

I'll be interested too in how you get on with this! Do keep us posted 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

I'll be interested too in how you get on with this! Do keep us posted 

Hi, 

Definitely I will post about the replacement and take some photos. 
Meanwhile an interesting video how this usually happens. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

Definitely I will post about the replacement and take some photos. 
Meanwhile an interesting video how this usually happens. 

Tony, just watched the video and it is pretty comprehensive in detail of how to change the Hybrid Battery. I would definitely either take photos or even better a video as my memory isn't as good as his that's for sure.😂

I think anyone with a good diy could change these without any real problems. However I would like to know if any reprogramming would be needed after the removal and replacement to the Battery to the ECU. I understand he said he didn't need any but wondering if that would be the same on other models. Anyway good video and certainly worth a watch to anyone looking to change their hybrid Battery 👍😄

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bper said:

Tony, just watched the video and it is pretty comprehensive in detail of how to change the Hybrid battery. I would definitely either take photos or even better a video as my memory isn't as good as his that's for sure.😂

I think anyone with a good diy could change these without any real problems. However I would like to know if any reprogramming would be needed after the removal and replacement to the battery to the ECU. I understand he said he didn't need any but wondering if that would be the same on other models. Anyway good video and certainly worth a watch to anyone looking to change their hybrid battery 👍😄

Changed mine today. I got it from a company in London that offered 3 years warranty or 100k miles whicever comes first. The 3 years warranty works for me as I am able to use it as a taxi until 2026 and then I will part exchange it. 

I changed it with a friend and it took around 40minutes. Maybe it would have taken less but we replaced some bus bar connectos as they were coroded. No reprogramming needed if that helps 👍

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Mihai24 said:

Changed mine today. I got it from a company in London that offered 3 years warranty or 100k miles whicever comes first. The 3 years warranty works for me as I am able to use it as a taxi until 2026 and then I will part exchange it. 

I changed it with a friend and it took around 40minutes. Maybe it would have taken less but we replaced some bus bar connectos as they were coroded. No reprogramming needed if that helps 👍

Hi Mihai, I was wondering if any programming may have been necessary on any of the Toyota models after a Battery change but it doesn't look like it does.Glad your change of Battery went well.😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Mihai, I was wondering if any programming may have been necessary on any of the Toyota models after a battery change but it doesn't look like it does.Glad your change of battery went well.😄

As far as I know it applies to all Toyota models. I know for a fact that all BMW cars require reprogramming and I believe Mercedes as well but not 100% sure. It's amazing how simple the japanese made everything. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mihai24 said:

I used to drive rental Priuses and some of them had over 220k on original battery and no minicab office bothered to service the batteries, and that made me confident that I will get to 200k on my Auris without issues but I believe that, the fact that the car has been stolen and hasn't been driven for a year played an important role in the battery lifespan. 

From the pic I take it that Toyota offers warranty only of you service the car at them? It would be an inconvenient as I change the oil 3-4 times/year but in the same time I don't know other reputable sellers

oh yes batteries do not like to sit unused for long periods of time

• Like 6

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

Will be good for 500 k or more once’s you get new Battery in 

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Battery must be regularly charged by turning the car on at least every 2 months for 30 minutes on ready mode to prevent NiMh Battery completely depleted and degrade the health of hybrid Battery.  

there is official TSB for dealership keeping cars in their lots. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10227923-9999.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj5gqOD1KqFAxUC0wIHHYj0CdQQFnoECB8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1CSj5Ma-3fiR1gyz2zLsfx

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links