Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid battery failed too early? 147k miles

Mihai24

On 3/5/2024 at 11:20 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

Definitely I will post about the replacement and take some photos. 
Meanwhile an interesting video how this usually happens. 

Thanks for posting the video. I was surprised that there are so many tin plate parts to disassemble/assemble. I suppose when a company is making so many of them, pressing out plates is as cheap as chips.

I expected to see a couple of Battery assembly castings and a sub frame with all the plug in  ancillary connections and air duct. Not a criticism, just not what I expected.

4 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Thanks for posting the video. I was surprised that there are so many tin plate parts to disassemble/assemble. I suppose when a company is making so many of them, pressing out plates is as cheap as chips.

I expected to see a couple of battery assembly castings and a sub frame with all the plug in  ancillary connections and air duct. Not a criticism, just not what I expected.

Hi, 

these Toyota batteries are so archaic in comparison to latest evs and of course they are as they are only  few decades old technology . However works on these is absolute pleasure. It is easy as Lego constructor, and easy to understand how things work., perfect for beginners mechanics or electrical engineer learning experience courses. I did enjoyed so ,I had warning on my car, saved myself £500 quit and ensured the job is done correctly. Here more about it.

Never knew it’s so easy to change your hybrid Battery. And no information from uk . Most people goes for indi mechanics which does not use new cells and this is not ideal. 

• Like 3

The Toyota hybrid Battery is easy compared to some of the EV ones - I used to watch a lot of repair and modification videos for those and it's so easy to bend a main conductor pin or snap a (PLASTIC! :eek: ) coolant port off the Battery casing - Many of them are just awkwardly made and were clearly not designed with maintenance in mind.

And if you wanted to open them up you'll need a big box for all the bolts and screws, and expect to need a crow bar to get the sealed covers off, and several gallons of bead sealant to put it back together :laugh: 

• Haha 3

Regular hybrid Battery is air cooled.  We need to remember that the AC is part of the cooling and humidity control. Keep the AC on all the time. it will keep the Battery happy. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links