Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Manufacturer's may need to ditch some touch screen buttons

FROSTYBALLS

I think they're definitely right about taking your eyes off the road.:smile:

• Like 1

Wow, a sudden outbreak of common sense?? This couldn't happen soon enough!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That said,  isn't Toyota compliant?  Well YC certainly.  Many controls are clustered on the wheel including all main the multimedia controls.

Android Auto though is very much software though voice control can cover some functions.

• Like 1

TBH, the worst offenders are currently VW and Tesla, although I was watching Shmee180 review some Ferrari convertible earlier and was shocked at how many touch controls had infested that - Even the start button was a capacitive pad on the steering wheel, as were most of the steering wheel controls. Inexcusable on a car asking for that much money!!

I think my Yaris is about as touch-control as I'd be willing to accept - It really should be limited to just infotainment stuff and complex options - Nothing that is part of the normal frequently or quickly accessed car controls should be allowed to be a touch control IMHO.

I find it especially aggravating because for whatever reason my fingers don't work very well on capacitive touch controls which makes using them extra rage-inducing when I'm trying to poke some button and it doesn't respond one moment then clicks 500 times suddenly the next!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

for whatever reason my fingers don't work very well

Age !

• Haha 3

Makes me think how many of these touchscreens will outlast the positive on/off buttons on my now nearly 21 year old Yaris.

I realise that I am probably a luddite as regards car controls, but I do prefer things on or off, rather than maybe if "computer says no".

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Cyker said:

TBH, the worst offenders are currently VW and Tesla, although I was watching Shmee180 review some Ferrari convertible earlier and was shocked at how many touch controls had infested that - Even the start button was a capacitive pad on the steering wheel, as were most of the steering wheel controls. Inexcusable on a car asking for that much money!!

I think my Yaris is about as touch-control as I'd be willing to accept - It really should be limited to just infotainment stuff and complex options - Nothing that is part of the normal frequently or quickly accessed car controls should be allowed to be a touch control IMHO.

I find it especially aggravating because for whatever reason my fingers don't work very well on capacitive touch controls which makes using them extra rage-inducing when I'm trying to poke some button and it doesn't respond one moment then clicks 500 times suddenly the next!

You haven't got King Charles sausage fingers have you.:biggrin:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Makes me think how many of these touchscreens will outlast the positive on/off buttons on my now nearly 21 year old Yaris.

I realise that I am probably a luddite as regards car controls, but I do prefer things on or off, rather than maybe if "computer says no".

Remember when the detail wore off?

• Haha 1

I haven’t come across a car with the mentioned operations using a touch screen, and would immediately lose interest in any car that had such features.  My C-HR has 17 touch buttons on the steering wheel, and I find these generally unfriendly, to point that they are virtually unused.

To be honest, when I get behind the wheel my first instinct is to DRIVE the car, not play with it.  When I bought the car, my first priority was to familiarise myself with all the important controls and switches - 11 months on and some switches are still unused.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

They don't stand a chance! The Yaris is one of those paragons of automotive human interface design. Big chunky buttons with very tactile action and clear labelling. Oh, and that recirc-lever with its oh-so-satisfying 'thud'. I used to sit and play with the controls just for the sheer pleasure.  Masterclass!

Touchscreens are such a cop-out. Cheap as chips to make, and you don't even have to get things right, because you can just update it and change it later. Meh!

Volvo is also a sinner in this area with their big touch screens, but they DO have some physical buttons for common things like HVAC. 

I have to give some kudos to BMW who make sure you can navigate menus from multiple places (steering wheel, buttons, iDrive rotary thingy, and touchscreen, oh and voice). It does feel pretty well thought out.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Remember when the detail wore off?

Yes I do Roy, but IIRC a lot of the buttons were moulded to have the symbols as indents aswell as the white on the black plastic.

Although again IIRC my old 105e Anglia had mostly metal controls , such as heater levers, choke pull etc on the metal dash.

The details on the Yaris buttons are still as new, albeit with lowish milage,as long as the underside at the rear doesn't rust away, I can see the car good for another 20 years, legislation allowing.

Can't see them allowing it through the pearly gates though what with it being no emissions allowed at all at all,so maybe with another enthusiast when I stop driving.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:25 PM, Cyker said:

😂 😂

On 3/7/2024 at 10:53 AM, APS said:

I have to give some kudos to BMW who make sure you can navigate menus from multiple places (steering wheel, buttons, iDrive rotary thingy, and touchscreen, oh and voice). It does feel pretty well thought out.  

I have to say I do like the BMW iDrive system and the similar system some Mazdas have, where there's a big jog dial you use to navigate and select options; Can almost do it with muscle memory by feeling the number of detents for frequently accessed options.

It's impossible to develop muscle memory with touch screens as there's not reference point.

And the thing that I hate about touch controls is it's so easy to accidentally press them, and also you can't 'ready' them like you can with a real button, i.e. rest your finger on it ready to press it at the right time.

Instead you have to hover your finger over it - but not too close!! - then instead of pressing it you hit a bump and turn the cruise control off instead of replaying a track or something.

They are just objectively inferior.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:46 AM, Haliotis said:

My C-HR has 17 touch buttons on the steering wheel, and I find these generally unfriendly, to point that they are virtually unused.

I don't know the C-HR steering wheel.  If it is like the Corolla, all super smooth, I agree.

Many the time I have accidentally deselected cruise control through careless placement of my thumb.

The Yaris and YC have vastly superior switchers.  There are well defined separations between functions, so you can select by touch and feel.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links