Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Backache Toyota Corolla

John1964

Hi

Anyone else suffering from upper backache from driving the new

Corolla car is the 1.8 design model

Thanks john 

• Sad 1

Hi John, Some drivers find the seats don't provide enough lower back support, which can lead to slouching and upper back strain.:smile:

• Like 1

No issues with my 23 icon, but I did find the seats uncomfortable the first few times I drove corollas a few years ago. 

I found for me that putting the seat height up nearly full, then using this guide made a big difference:

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/services/recaro-seat-fit-guide

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sportse said:

No issues with my 23 icon, but I did find the seats uncomfortable the first few times I drove corollas a few years ago. 

I found for me that putting the seat height up nearly full, then using this guide made a big difference:

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/services/recaro-seat-fit-guide

Nice guide for the ones that don't know the correct seat positioning 

• Like 1

Some Yaris owners including myself got a bad back from the seats, I bought a support cushion and it has given relief.

Got this one from AliExpress. Screenshot_2024-01-17-11-50-39-059_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.thumb.jpg.040cf559c60de8e0484678546f5e13b3.jpg

• Like 2

We switched from an old Mercedes (15 yrs) to a Corolla and it provided better support.  When we switched to a Yaris Cross that was better again with its higher entry height and greater internal height too.

• Like 1

When I first got my Corolla I would get backache.  I thought it may be to do with my habit of sitting very upright so I tried reclining the seat backrest one notch and that cured it.  I did miss sitting upright but I have stuck with it reclined a little more than I would like.  That's the problem with having the seat backrest adjustable in notches, you lose the fine adjustment.

• Like 2

When I went from the 2015 auris to the 2018 face-lift auris, I had same. Took ages to get the position right.

Changed to the 2021 Corolla and no problems as same style of seats.

You do need to spend time with those recaro style seats and at first the simple ratchet recline seems limited, but like my good old scooby seats, once you've found the spot they are supremely comfortable and supportive. 

• Like 2

And one small change makes a big difference. My car had its service and MoT on Monday (passed with no comment this time) and whoever drove it to/from the workshop adjusted the seat back upright by one notch. I noticed it immediately as less comfortable and it also meant I kicked the car out of EV as I drove out of their lot due to being that little bit closer to the pedals.

• Like 1

The Recaro seat adjustment tips are useful, however they does not fully apply to Toyota as our cars seats has limited adjustability.  
Note: 
The recline position of the seat base is controlled by the seat height position. Some drivers find uncomfortable seating in Toyota cars especially those who came  from other brands that allow extra seat adjustments. 
Here the tip is to play with the seat height, usually lower it more than you like or higher than  you like respectively. 
Adjusting the seat base up or down changes the seat base angle, the seat base only rotate in one axle and it’s on the front, lowering down the base lower rear end of it, while setting up higher lifts up the rear end and and these fine adjustments change the base and backrest angle 📐
Here is my tip how to adjust your Toyota drivers seat. 
Lower it to the bottom, set distance from pedals, start lifting up until you see road and feel comfortable on the base, then adjust backrest. Readjust steering wheel rake if needed. Adjust headrest. Remember the seat position against seatbelt on the c pillar for future reference. 
Job done. 

365E909F-57B5-4BB1-AFFF-026ED90E1C26.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think my Corolla is ok, I'm yet to have any real issue. My previous car was a GT86 which was superbly comfortable. Really hugging and supportive.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys 

Think I've tried every combination going but still to get comfortable does anyone find the cars ride a little fidgety to?

Fidgety as in steering (which could be lane keeping assistance) or rear feels like it's stepping out on tight bumpy roads? There is a roundabout near me which is above the motorway and exit is the slip road. The backend feels like it's stepping out as it's bumpy round there. 

Either way, thoroughly check the tire pressures as they could be way to hard or soft. The low profiles seem sensitive to pressure more on the Corolla than other cars. 

• Like 2

No fidgety as the car never really feels to settle down you kind of feel every imperfection and undulation in the road surface I know the UK roads are bad but...

Hmmm....definitely check the tires. I notice poor roads more with low pressure. I tend to like cars with slightly higher than just driver only pressures and it seems they don't hold pressure as well as other cars. Again probably the low profiles. 

If you recently collected then they could be super high as not all dealers adjust during the PDI

• Like 2

Have you got the adjustable electric lumber support on the drivers seat. It's on my 23 spec Design.

• Like 2

Yes I have,should have said its my upper back that I'm getting the discomfort in and not my lower back 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John1964 said:

Yes I have,should have said its my upper back that I'm getting the discomfort in and not my lower back 

You did John. I'm no back expert but I just wondered if playing about with the lumber adjustment may make a differance. Like Tony says, you need to find that 'sweet spot' with all those adjustments available.

• Like 3

On my Auris Hybrid 2015 took a while to find a comfortable position. Found lumber support felt better without as digging in to lower back, so sort of slouching/ not as upright in seat. Happy since adjusted to off/cant feel it. 

James.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John1964 said:

No fidgety as the car never really feels to settle down you kind of feel every imperfection and undulation in the road surface I know the UK roads are bad but...

Have you tried the sport mode? It tightens up the steering weight a bit, so might help. 

tyre pressures make a big difference, one hire car place I use always pumps their tyres up high and you can tell by the fidgety feeling of their cars. 

don`t forget the steering wheel reach and rake it all comes in with seat adjustment.

• Like 1

Agree with that - getting the steering wheel in the right position is as important as seat positioning to minimise/eliminate back strain. I’d like the Corolla steering wheel to have a bit more reach adjustment really.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links