Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windows Xp Service Pack 2

SMW

Finally grabbed the XP SP2 - I've had problems because I installed on auto updates about 2 weeks ago and then needed to use a restore point prior to the installation - I lost SP2 but the auto update didn't pick it up so I had to wait for general release date (today).

Anyway . . . the text 'home' has gone from my load screen - why would Microsoft want to do that ? Has anyone else noticed this ?

SP2 seems more like an upgrade than a Service Pack.

Im unsure about it at the mo as im running Norton IS 2K3 and this new built in software from SP2 is most likely going to conflict with this. :(

the text 'home' has gone from my load screen - why would Microsoft want to do that ? Has anyone else noticed this ?

Yup I noticed that too. And the little green scrolling bar is now blue (like it is on Pro).

Seems like a strange thing to alter, but maybe its been done so that you know if the machine has SP2 even before it fully boots up :unsure:

sp2 contains its own firewall ,which seems to be ok ,it constantly reminds you of automatic updates , which is a pain ,it reminds you if no anti virus protection is available,which can be turned off,other than that its no different to xp . i been running sp2 for some time now.if running norton firewall or others you will still need an anti virus program.

since moving over to Server 2003 and not using Ouctlook or Norton 2004 I have never had any probs, when was SP2 made?

when was SP2 made?

Well as far as I know it has been available as an automatic update for about the past 3 weeks - from today you can get it from the Windows update site

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Anyone know of any conflicts with NAV 2004 or Zone Alarm ?

:ffs: Just noticed that SP2 has reinstalled messenger, add / remove programs won't shift it either - need to find a fix for that . . . . annoying

Its best feature is the pop up blocker and ability to stop software being installed on your PC without permission.

I started using the Firefox browser some time before SP2 because IE lacked those features.

Still prefer Firefox tho with its tabs so you can have loads of websites open in one browser (god how geeky do I sound saying that? LOL)

Its best feature is the pop up blocker and ability to stop software being installed on your PC without permission.

I started using the Firefox browser some time before SP2 because IE lacked those features.

Still prefer Firefox tho with its tabs so you can have loads of websites open in one browser (god how geeky do I sound saying that? LOL)

I thought I was the only one using Firefox. Everyone I tell about it says "what the f**k is Firefox?".

Cool having tabs, I can have gold, MR2 and General open all at the same time without having to swap browsers. Cool. :thumbsup:

SP2 seems more like an upgrade than a Service Pack.

Im unsure about it at the mo as im running Norton IS 2K3 and this new built in software from SP2 is most likely going to conflict with this. :(

I've installed SP2 on both my laptop (in use now...) and my old monster desktop - there are no conflicts with norton systemworks 2003 or personal firewall 2003. You can just tell it that you have your own antivirus the first time it boots after installation and it will trouble you no more... ;)

The bluetooth support seems really good, and the reliability of woreless networking is greatly improved....

I've got no problems so far...

Cheers,

A

:ffs: Just noticed that SP2 has reinstalled messenger, add / remove programs won't shift it either - need to find a fix for that . . . . annoying

Start

Run

type in: Cmd

Right click and Paste the code, hit ‘Return’:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Messenger is now gone :thumbsup:

what's the point...it's already been hacked.... patches to SP2 will be avaliable soon.....

its what keeps microsoft going

I just get "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem: "

Well done microsoft :ffs:

its a good idea to use all browsers to goto microsoft updates , my aol sometimes gets that message , whilst internet explorer gets right to it fine

Interesting..........reading all the comments on SP2 for XP.

Just find it a little strange that no-body has mentioed the fact the SP2 is only vaid for XP Profesional and causes major problems in browsing extra when run with XP home version.

If you have managed to download SP2 onto a HOME version of XP and aint having any problems you have been very lucky, this is one of the reasons why your home buttons have gone and things like MSN etc have re-appeared.

There will be a patch released in the near future to allow XP Home users to Install SP2 but for now it is only aadvised to use if you are running a LIGITIMATE version of XP PRO.

Hope this makes sense and helps out :thumbsup:

It seems to be working fine now with, er, a friends... naughty XP pro!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links