Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota GB statement on CANbus Theft

Rigsby

The way it works is:

Dealer orders part, gets charged to the dealer, customer has it fitted and is charged £70 inc VAT. The dealer submits a claim to Toyota to recover the cost of the plates. That is it, simple, no other method/price/uplifting of the price, one system, end of. Tell your dealer to search out the warranty bulletin

• Like 4

Hi,

I have just been to my Toyota dealer to pick up car after re-fitting camera today. He is just confirming if Toyota send the plates which mean they are free to me or I have to pay for them. Either way the fitting is free.

I commented on the official Toyota statement page as well, and again they have asked me to email customer relations, which I have

TBH I'm not impressed with FRF at the moment, my air con wasn't working and they tried to fob me off with £160 diagnostic charge - as I only purchased the car in March I argued that they obviously hadn't done the 135 point or whatever checks before the car was presented to me. As a good will gesture, Sales covered the cost

On a similar note, another customer was dropping off her new-to-her 18 plate Aygo which she had recently purchased from them - apparently the MOT and service hadn't been done before hand-over, and the car she had bought actually had no valid MOT.

Something is going wrong somewhere there

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rod9669 said:

I commented on the official Toyota statement page as well, and again they have asked me to email customer relations, which I have

TBH I'm not impressed with FRF at the moment, my air con wasn't working and they tried to fob me off with £160 diagnostic charge - as I only purchased the car in March I argued that they obviously hadn't done the 135 point or whatever checks before the car was presented to me. As a good will gesture, Sales covered the cost

On a similar note, another customer was dropping off her new-to-her 18 plate Aygo which she had recently purchased from them - apparently the MOT and service hadn't been done before hand-over, and the car she had bought actually had no valid MOT.

That is abysmal. Without a doubt that dealership needs a good sort out. Preferably from the top down.

What a shambles.

Terry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rod9669 said:

Write to Toyota and detail your experiences. The service manager at the dealership I use tells me that Toyota are very hot on poor dealers and come down on them pretty hard. Of course, they can't do anything if they don't know about it so tell them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mereside said:

Hi,

I have just been to my Toyota dealer to pick up car after re-fitting camera today. He is just confirming if Toyota send the plates which mean they are free to me or I have to pay for them. Either way the fitting is free.

See my post above, YOU pay for fitting, TGB pay for the plates, they are NOT supplied free or sent to the dealer free. The dealer orders the plate and claims back the cost of the plates from Toyota 

Just to update on this. Toyota / our dealer called this morning. It’s being done completely free which is great.

in other news, had a reverse parking incident so rear bumper damaged 😞

20 hours ago, Rod9669 said:

I am finding dealers are an absolute nightmare, the last 3 services were not done correctly, one just oil replaced and nothing else, last one spewed engine oil all underside of car, luckily i caught it in time. Blamed a faulty oil filter. Yeah right.

Next week i shall be an arse and go through the whole service before leaving, not going to put up with it any longer. plus see if i can get plates done.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2024 at 10:49 AM, forkingabout said:

I did see a recent post from someone that had the plates fitted & a few weeks later there RAV4 disappeared in a couple of minutes.

IIRC that's the 2nd vehicle that's I've heard of stolen with the protection plates fitted.

3rd vehicle ( a Lexus ) plates beaten by the thieves but stopped by a secondary immobiliser.

If you are referring to the post in the comments on the Toyota Announcement page then there is likely more to that story than it seems.

The post that I saw did not say that the customer had the plates fitted and then car was stolen. What it said was that the car was purchased used from a dealer who told him that the plates had been fitted. It does not state that he confirmed the plates had actually been fitted so it is entirely possible that the dealer in question may have been economical with the truth.

So far, I have yet to see a confirmed canbus theft with the plates actually fitted. I am not saying that there hasn't been one, only that I have seen no evidence of one. All that I have seen is one post from an owner that may have been lied to and a few "broken telephone" versions of that story.

For now, I am comfortable with my car as it is but I am very disappointed in Toyota for such a long delay after their announcement.

On 7/12/2024 at 1:33 PM, SimonAdd said:

Just to update on this. Toyota / our dealer called this morning. It’s being done completely free which is great.

in other news, had a reverse parking incident so rear bumper damaged 😞

Same here - apart from the parking incident 😉

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rod9669 said:

I should think so to.The way you guys have been treated then that is the least they can do for you.

Thank goodness for a site like this where you are able to flag this sort of thing up and get advice/ input from other owners.

Terry

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:07 PM, Steve said:

I am finding dealers are an absolute nightmare, the last 3 services were not done correctly, one just oil replaced and nothing else, last one spewed engine oil all underside of car, luckily i caught it in time. Blamed a faulty oil filter. Yeah right.

Next week i shall be an **** and go through the whole service before leaving, not going to put up with it any longer. plus see if i can get plates done.

Same. My dealer has been as competent as a room full of chimps.

• Haha 3

On 7/16/2024 at 7:56 AM, Rod9669 said:

Had a nice email from Toyota today

Thank you for reaching out to us via our website's contact page. I want to extend my apologies for the unfortunate experience you have encountered at your local Toyota Centre, which led you to contact Toyota Head Office directly. Please know that your satisfaction is of paramount importance to us. 

Here at Toyota GB, we are purely the manufacturer and distributor of new vehicles. However, we are deeply concerned about any instance where our customers feel dissatisfied, and we take immense pride in our role as the manufacturer and distributor of new vehicles. 

It's important to acknowledge that our centres operate as franchises, each with their own management and dedicated in-house complaints process to address any concerns related to sales or service you have received. 

While we understand that franchised Toyota Centres represent the Toyota brand, they operate as independent businesses. Nonetheless, we maintain strict dealer standards to ensure that our Centres consistently deliver the level of service we expect.

Your feedback is important to us, and I would like to assure you that your concerns have been escalated to the Service Manager "deleted" from FRF Toyota Swansea . I have requested that "deleted" reaches out to you promptly to address this issue and find a resolution that meets your expectations in regards to the fitting of the vehicle protection plates.

If, for any reason, you find the outcome of your complaint unsatisfactory after speaking with Keri, I encourage you to directly contact this Toyota Centre and request to speak to the Centre Principal who oversees this dealership.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience or disappointment you have experienced. Your feedback is invaluable in helping us improve our services, and we are fully committed to ensuring that your concerns are addressed promptly and effectively. 

• Like 8

I wonder if the Rav4 cars recovered by the police were stolen by Canbus theft?  

• Like 2

Parts-King,

You are correct as always. My dealer said fitting was free just checking with Toyota as to whether the parts were supplied free by them or whether they ordered it and charged the part to me. Then changed their mind after contact with Toyota and now its free for the part but £75 fitting, oh and they couldn't find the part as it was held for the original number of my car and not the private number that they insisted they had changed it over to before the can bus issue. Oh and they got my name wrong when they replied to my e-mail with my name on and this is after mis-spelling my name when doing the V5 (my name is Nigel by the way and not NIGLE or Mark).

Confidence level not too high at the moment as when I got the courtesy call to remind me to bring my car in for the dash cam fitting it was on their system for tyres doing. (the car has 4k miles on the clock).

Getting there eventually.

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Recently went away on holiday with the RAV left at home, here is a little bit of extra security cobbled on! haha. Every bit helps.

20240721_113225.thumb.jpg.40dbbbe58f0db7bf4d2c1a6dbf4a5e10.jpg

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Anybody heard anything on that upgrade that Toyota was making available by end of April/ beginning of May?   Getting a bit painful now isn't it, or are they just hoping that we will all fade away and not ask anymore.

Come on Toyota wake up will you!!
And yes I know that Toyota doesn't look at this site before anyone tells me. 😡😡😡🙄🙄🤷🏻🤷🏻

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Hi all

Anybody heard anything on that upgrade that Toyota was making available by end of April/ beginning of May?   Getting a bit painful now isn't it, or are they just hoping that we will all fade away and not ask anymore.

Come on Toyota wake up will you!!
And yes I know that Toyota doesn't look at this site before anyone tells me. 😡😡😡🙄🙄🤷🏻🤷🏻

... and as of yesterday (30/7) the update was: "We have no exact time frame on this."  😞

Apparently according to the Lexus forum - Lexus have started rolling out an S7 Tracker with 3 years coverage & some kind of OBD geo fencing device.

From what I could work out from the vague descriptions given the Tracker sounds like the S7 Retrieve product.

Any OBD device will be easily removed so why bother.

I wouldn't put much hope on a proper fix from Toyota / Lexus - get your protection plates if available for your model & then think about fitting a secondary alarm / immobiliser. 

Update on my dealership (Vantage Toyota Wakefield) on this issue.

"Due to the mistakes we have made we will fit the plate free of charge." So fair enough and credit to them for eventually sorting it. 

The car is with them now for the work to be done.

A big thank you to all on here who highlighted this issue as without you I wouldn't have known about this matter and chances are that my dealer wouldn't have mentioned it.

Keep up the good work all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mereside said:

Update on my dealership (Vantage Toyota Wakefield) on this issue.

"Due to the mistakes we have made we will fit the plate free of charge." So fair enough and credit to them for eventually sorting it. 

The car is with them now for the work to be done.

A big thank you to all on here who highlighted this issue as without you I wouldn't have known about this matter and chances are that my dealer wouldn't have mentioned it.

Keep up the good work all.

Nice one, Now you could start nagging them about this electronic update and see what they come up with.

If enough people keep asking Toyota customer services the same question then the message just may get through eventually.

Terry.

• 3 weeks later...

" Exact timings are still to be confirmed. We anticipate being able to advise the Toyota Centre network with full details soon. "

Over 5 months now since the statement. Are we any further forward ?

Lexus have started offering a S5 tracker with 3 years coverage, some kind of geo location OBD device plus protection plated for the RX - the additional security fix is still to be rolled out. 

If it was my vehicle & keeping it then I would get the protection plates fitted then invest in a alarm / immobiliser instead of relying / waiting on whatever Toyota / Lexus offer as a security fix. 

FWIW - I'm very happy with the aftermarket security system on my C-HR.

I have ordered a new RAV4 PHEV. I haven't asked the dealer about this because I'm sure they will just say something like " never heard of this issue ". So will my 2024(.5) model still be at risk of CANBUS theft or has it been sorted on the latest cars?  

7 minutes ago, Bozz said:

I have ordered a new RAV4 PHEV. I haven't asked the dealer about this because I'm sure they will just say something like " never heard of this issue ". So will my 2024(.5) model still be at risk of CANBUS theft or has it been sorted on the latest cars?  

PHEV of the RAV4 isn't susceptible to CAN invader theft according to Toyota. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links