Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New CHR mpg

Chriss27

On 7/19/2024 at 8:39 PM, dannyboy413 said:

Filled up yesterday and my spreadsheet is showing that I am getting an average of 62.4mpg, since purchase on 27th May.

That is having done just over 1800 miles.

My spreadsheet is now showing, at the last fill up, having done 2090 miles, 62.35 mpg, so it looks like 62 - 63 mpg is going to be my 'normal'. The car display does show 70.3 mpg average since the fill up before last, so a bit optimistic! I do not reset the reading at every fill up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

My spreadsheet is now showing, at the last fill up, having done 2090 miles, 62.35 mpg, so it looks like 62 - 63 mpg is going to be my 'normal'. The car display does show 70.3 mpg average since the fill up before last, so a bit optimistic! I do not reset the reading at every fill up. 

The onboard computer is optimistic(up to 10%)  compared to calculating the mpg. We are averaging 60 mpg over 2000+ miles , as @TonyHSD says MWay driving drags the average down , when used on cross country / urban driving a genuine 65 mpg is easily achievable with the 2.0 HEV drivetrain. When you do need the ICE it’s the lightest touch on the throttle. 

• Like 2

Has anyone got any reliable (calculated not via on board computer) mpg figures for the new generation CHR with the 1.8 engine? 

@AndyRC My car is the new 1.8, bought at the end of May Andy. See my post above re mpg. I normally do 2 x 20 mile journeys a day, Monday - Friday. The first, (and last), three miles are up to about 30mph and then up to 50mph, but usually about 40,  for the remainder. The roads are, to a great extent, country roads. I also normally do 1 x 40 mile journey once a week, where I can get up to 60mph for 10 miles, on a good 'A' type road. I record all my mileage, petrol and other expenses on my own spreadsheet, so my mpg figures are a lot more accurate than what the car tells me. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

@AndyRC My car is the new 1.8, bought at the end of May Andy. See my post above re mpg. I normally do 2 x 20 mile journeys a day, Monday - Friday. The first, (and last), three miles are up to about 30mph and then up to 50mph, but usually about 40,  for the remainder. The roads are, to a great extent, country roads. I also normally do 1 x 40 mile journey once a week, where I can get up to 60mph for 10 miles, on a good 'A' type road. I record all my mileage, petrol and other expenses on my own spreadsheet, so my mpg figures are a lot more accurate than what the car tells me. :thumbsup:

Great that you keep an accurate record, will be good to compare them over the long term to see how the 1.8 and 2.0 perform. I’ve not done much MWay on this last tank mostly short town runs and longish cross country so let’s see what that brings.  I’m finding the OBC mpg figures quite a bit optimistic too 👍 I may give the ECO drive mode a try on a run over the NY Moors next week, so far I’ve not bothered with it. 🤔

• Like 1

@AndyRC It will be interesting to compare the 1.8 with the 2.0 over time. I spent my first 40(ish) years in Bradford and love the  NY Moors and Robin Hoods Bay/Whitby area. :thumbsup:. When I come back for a visit, I usually try and fit in a visit to the NYM Railway. I switched to ECO mode last week and, bearing in mind it is the 'Economy' mode, I felt that the car was lacking something, so switched back to 'Normal' yesterday. It was not probably long enough, but I did not notice any appreciable difference in the MPG figures. 

• Like 2

My Design CHR 2L PHEV is currently managing between 60-65 mpg (4-5 miles) on short runs using part petrol engine and up to 77 mpg using all electric (25 mile journey) not sure how realistic this is ? This way better than my 2023 2 L Excel Hybrid which was averaging mid 50's mpg. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

@AndyRC It will be interesting to compare the 1.8 with the 2.0 over time. I spent my first 40(ish) years in Bradford and love the  NY Moors and Robin Hoods Bay/Whitby area. :thumbsup:. When I come back for a visit, I usually try and fit in a visit to the NYM Railway. I switched to ECO mode last week and, bearing in mind it is the 'Economy' mode, I felt that the car was lacking something, so switched back to 'Normal' yesterday. It was not probably long enough, but I did not notice any appreciable difference in the MPG figures. 

We are lucky in having great roads to Whitby from E Yorks our favourite run out , will see how long I keep ECO on , tried SPORT for about 5 miles and didn’t need , or couldn’t use the extra “go” due to traffic 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Louie said:

My Design CHR 2L PHEV is currently managing between 60-65 mpg (4-5 miles) on short runs using part petrol engine and up to 77 mpg using all electric (25 mile journey) not sure how realistic this is ? This way better than my 2023 2 L Excel Hybrid which was averaging mid 50's mpg. 

If you keep the Battery charged at home on shortish runs I can’t see why you couldn’t just use the EV mode only 🤔. As you will already appreciate Calculating a true MPG becomes complicated with any PlugIn as you have to take account of the cost of electricity added via the charger. It’s still an impressive drivetrain and IMO for most folk a far better solution than a pure BEV 🤷‍♂️ If the PHEV had been available on the Premiere Edition we would have opted for one. Enjoy the car 👍😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mmmm Whitby, that's where my favourite scampi comes from... :whistling1: :naughty:

15 hours ago, Louie said:

It's likely cheating slightly, as PHEVs don't count the electricity used, only the fuel, so you can boost the mpg up to hilarious figures by only plugging it in and not using any fuel (What's how the BMW i8 managed to get a rating of 134mpg :laugh: ).

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 7:54 AM, AndyRC said:

I’m always sceptical about onboard MPG figures, the first refill will be the real test. The 2.0 engine feels a lot less busy, and more refined,  than the 1.8 when we did a back to back test in the Corolla with the 5th gen Hybrid system. I’m not doing anything special , I  have it in “Normal” not “Eco” and  just drive smoothly, anticipate what’s happening and keep up with traffic flow 🤷‍♂️

I agree, have found that all the onboard computer MPG figures in 8 different brands of car for business use and the 3 private cars that I have had, been wrong by about 10%-15% which is pretty poor really. 

28 minutes ago, Juicedrinker69 said:

I agree, have found that all the onboard computer MPG figures in 8 different brands of car for business use and the 3 private cars that I have had, been wrong by about 10%-15% which is pretty poor really. 

Would that be because (as discussed here) that the miles on the speedo are inaccurate and overread thus skewing the result. 

13 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Would that be because (as discussed here) that the miles on the speedo are inaccurate and overread thus skewing the result. 

No.

The speedometer overstates your speed as it is required to by law - or, more accurately, by law it may not understate your speed.

The odometer is as accurate as it can be given the variation in the actual diameter of the wheel given inflation pressure, temperature and tyre wear.

And given that the car is accurately measuring distance travelled it has all the information that it needs to provide a much more accurate speedometer reading - but it isn't allowed to! 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philip42h said:

No.

The speedometer overstates your speed as it is required to by law - or, more accurately, by law it may not understate your speed.

The odometer is as accurate as it can be given the variation in the actual diameter of the wheel given inflation pressure, temperature and tyre wear.

And given that the car is accurately measuring distance travelled it has all the information that it needs to provide a much more accurate speedometer reading - but it isn't allowed to! 😉

im not talking about speedo accuracy, as that has been discussed to death here. If the speedo (which measures wheel rotation) is inaccurate, so is the odo.
But if you are comparing the measured overreported milage in the mpg and it is measuring 5% over millage (say you have travelled actual 65 miles instead of measured 70) the “guessometer” will use 70 as its mpg calculation and by default be reading 5% too high.

compared to the actual 65 miles used and the “fill up” litre calculation. 

18 minutes ago, Paul john said:

im not talking about speedo accuracy, as that has been discussed to death here. If the speedo (which measures wheel rotation) is inaccurate, so is the odo.
But if you are comparing the measured overreported milage in the mpg and it is measuring 5% over millage (say you have travelled actual 65 miles instead of measured 70) the “guessometer” will use 70 as its mpg calculation and by default be reading 5% too high.

compared to the actual 65 miles used and the “fill up” litre calculation. 

No ... as I stated before, the odometer is accurate ... 😉

21 minutes ago, philip42h said:

No ... as I stated before, the odometer is accurate ... 😉

Just wondering…

is the odometer calculated on wheel rotation?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Just wondering…

is the odometer calculated on wheel rotation?

As I understand, yes, it is ... it always used to be, and I can't think of any other way it might be done (yet). The rotation count will be 'exact'. The wheel diameter / circumference will be with plus or minus a small percentage variation as long as the owner sticks to OEM size wheels and tyres.

• Like 3

I’m guessing the difference between actual ie calculated MPG and the OBC figures is due to small inaccuracies from fuel measurement & EV mode usage in the calculations the OBC makes. Some manufacturers (conspiracy theory alert) may even adjust the OBC algorithms to inflate the MPG figures 🤔 The worst I’ve owned  was a Vauxhall diesel which was consistently 15% “optimistic” via the OBC. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 3:57 PM, Paul john said:

Yes I am sure (at least regarding) Toyota / Lexus this could be the case.  Im on my third Lexus and 2nd Toyota and have numerous 20/30/40 mph speed restrictions where I drive daily.  They all have the LED signs showing your current speed and for example on the 30mph one when my Lexus says it is 30mph on the digital display the sign shows 27/28mph.

I could not believe that the LED signs would be underestimating so I took my fiancee on a set drive and she noted what each one stated and then I played back my dash cam films of those points on that drive and the dash cam matched the LED displays and my speedo was over on everyone.  

On 7/19/2024 at 1:03 PM, Ron in Chester said:

Just over 1000 miles on the clock of my CH-R Premiere, averaging between 60/70  to the gallon. 

Are those figures you have calculated yourself or from the on board computer display? The calculated mpg in my experience is usually quite a few mpg less , saying that we’re at a genuine 60.83 mpg over nearly 2400 miles of very mixed motoring which is  very impressive  👍😎

On 8/13/2024 at 4:15 PM, philip42h said:

No.

If I compare the speedo to the speed displayed on Waze on a level road at 30mph Waze is reading 29mph , at 70mph Waze is about 67mph , so I’d say the speedo is around 3% “optimistic” 

44 minutes ago, AndyRC said:

If I compare the speedo to the speed displayed on Waze on a level road at 30mph Waze is reading 29mph , at 70mph Waze is about 67mph , so I’d say the speedo is around 3% “optimistic” 

I work on the basic assumption that my speedo overstates my true speed by around 5% - but that is just a working estimate.

Waze will use GPS to estimate speed and that's not entirely accurate either but truer than the speedo. If you believe that you are travelling at 67 mph with the speedo reading 70 mph it suggests that your speedo is current overstating your speed by 4.5% (at around 70 mph).

Your car will have nice new tyres on (ATM). New tyres are 'larger' than worn ones meaning that you travel further for each revolution than you would if they were worn down to the limit. As your tyres wear your speedo will overstate your speed by a larger amount.

There's a good description of the challenge here: How accurate is my speedometer?

There is some confusion over the exact legislation on speedometer accuracy, but I believe the base EU legislation states that the speedometer must never underreport a vehicle's speed, while it must never overreport by more than 10% of the actual speed + 4 km/h.

There is an interesting report of an exchange in Hansard from 2001 which states: "These requirements are that the indicated speed must not be more than 10 per cent of the true speed plus 4 km/h. In production, however, a slightly different tolerance of 5 per cent plus 10 km/h is applied." And, I believe, the target overstatement by 5% is what vehicle manufacturers work towards.

• Like 1

The range and average consumption dashboard readings can be optimistic but also underestimated too.
All depends on driving time, the car computer calculates the average mpg in real time but displays average mpg can not adjust fast enough.
For example been driving last few days motorways high speeds and you had average real world 55mpg.
Then the next 3 days you do mostly town and country lanes mpg rises to 62mpg real world, you fill up full tank again and do your calculations got 62mpg , check dashboard it will show you 58 or 59mpg, slightly underestimated. 
Now switch over these two scenarios and go from more efficient drives into not so efficient, long fast motorways droves , the real world mpg will drop a bit while computer will display slightly more optimistic.
More you drive the car and for longer time each drive is, for example start and drive for 40-60 min without switching off more accurate numbers you will see been displayed . 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

The range and average consumption dashboard readings can be optimistic but also underestimated too.
All depends on driving time, the car computer calculates the average mpg in real time but displays average mpg can not adjust fast enough.
For example been driving last few days motorways high speeds and you had average real world 55mpg.
Then the next 3 days you do mostly town and country lanes mpg rises to 62mpg real world, you fill up full tank again and do your calculations got 62mpg , check dashboard it will show you 58 or 59mpg, slightly underestimated. 
Now switch over these two scenarios and go from more efficient drives into not so efficient, long fast motorways droves , the real world mpg will drop a bit while computer will display slightly more optimistic.
More you drive the car and for longer time each drive is, for example start and drive for 40-60 min without switching off more accurate numbers you will see been displayed . 👌

As you demonstrate the on board computer is an indicator but I’ve found rarely agrees with my calculated figures at each refill. The most disappointing was when the OBC was saying just over 70mpg and actually returned 62 mpg , still impressive but not as much as +70mpg would have been 🥇

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AndyRC said:

As you demonstrate the on board computer is an indicator but I’ve found rarely agrees with my calculated figures at each refill. The most disappointing was when the OBC was saying just over 70mpg and actually returned 62 mpg , still impressive but not as much as +70mpg would have been 🥇

For me in my Auris and pretty much any car I drive for my job the dashboard numbers are dead on accurate with pump measure.
The reason is because I drive a bit more and the car ecu has plenty of time to adjust. I still do get discrepancy but something like +/- 1-3 mpg , no more.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links