Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris MK2 MultiMode gearbox problems

SteveB 139250

My Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4D with a MMT gearbox recently threw up a red gear icon on the display and would not change gear or move.  I was stuck holding the traffic up and  had to get towed home, the next day the car drove normally but I am wary about driving it now in case it happens again.  Has anyone had similar problems with this gearbox and any idea how I can sort it?

817029599_AygoMMTclutchhot.thumb.jpg.3023c1ae448253a9071da47a529c1e60.jpg

get it scanned for codes its usually a sign that the clutch is on the way out and/or an actuator issue

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have disconnected the Battery and connected the two cables together using a jumper cable.  I left it like this for several hours to reset the ECU to factory settings before re-connecting them.  I have driven the car a few times and it seems to work fine now.  I am still wary if the fault will return, time will tell.  My car is at an age where the cost of taking it to a garage for repair is more than the car is worth.  No local garages seem to want to get involved with auto gearboxes because of the complexity of them.

not many places take on the MMT as it can turn into a can of worms, ending up with both parties being very frustrated and a pelican

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveB 139250 said:

My car is at an age where the cost of taking it to a garage for repair is more than the car is worth. 

It's a tricky one. Buying a used replacement car comes with it's own risks that it will need repairs soon, so sometimes it's a case of "better the devil you know" and fixing it. But the MMT boxes are notoriously iffy, so at 16 years old I'd suggest living with it till it finally gives up and meanwhile start preparing to get something else.

• Like 1

The MK2 MMT will give up the ghost soon, it happened to a relative of mine. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links