Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Light Goes On Periodicly While Driving

rob1005

I realized today that my handbrake light on the dash goes on periodicly while driving even though its not set. I notice while shifting gears it will go on and off. After third gear I believe it says off. THis is just a pattern i've realized but probably has nothing to do with the light. Anyways does anyone know why this light keeps going on and off?

the handbrake light is controlled by a little switch next to the handbrake..

so my guess would be this has become loose, so when you shift gears, it moves a little a flicks the light..

Nice comes on if the pads are low too .. maybe it's speed related the heat in general driving is causing the pads to think they are more worn ..

Have a look at your pads ..

Completely agree with T Ball!!!! Unless you have got a seperate warning light for your handbrake, it will be low brake fluid, due to the switch in the resevior can be triggered by the fluid sloshing around when low!

Does nobody look at their handbooks before posting to websites anymore? I've lost count how many posts I've seen asking this same question. Says clearly in the handbook (p. 70 in the USA/Canada 1996 Corolla Owner's Manual, p. 48 in the 1993 manual):

Brake System Warning Light - This light has the following functions:

Parking brake reminder

Low brake fluid level warning

Yeah it turns out it was the brake fluid level. I actually did take a look in the manual and didn't't say anything about the brake level fluid for my 97.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links