Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Questions To Those Who've Replaced Their Spoilers

qwertyuiop

I figured I would get a rev3 (n/a) but having seen a few, the prices for rev2's seem to be way lower. I know a few of you have rev1 turbos, so basdically what I want to know is - when you remove the rear spoiler from a rev1/2 does it leave you with a respray job?

Also, I've heard rev2's are the fastest N/A's (to do with weight). Different engines?

Finally, what's the interior in a rev 2 N/A t-bar? i.e. leather/cloth?

I'm just thinking, seen as I will be wanting to change the alloys anyway, get a bodykit, clear indicators - and perhaps even do what shaf did to his seats..... it may well be more reasonable, money wise, to go for a rev 2. As the money I may potentially save, can be put away ready for a whole new respray.

What do you guys think?

If you change to a rev 3 onwards spoiler there are a few holes that you will have to fill in as the mounting points are diffrent and then there is the pain in the backside that is the aerial. I never managed to get mine not to hit the rev 3 spoiler. So yep there will be a bit of spraying needed......

It's the rear of the rev 3 onwards I like, the lights and the centre panel as well (between the lights). Is there a problem in replaceing this also?

Finally, what's the interior in a rev 2 N/A t-bar? i.e. leather/cloth?

All UK T-Bars have full leather interior (seats/doorcards). Not certain about the imports - anyone else know if full leather was an option in Japan or not available?

There is a bit of cutting or modification on changing to the rev 3 lights, basically its just to make room for the reverse lights, a rubber mallet should do it.

See here for how to in detail Rev 3 light mod

All the details you need for anything is on the http://www.imoc.co.uk/ go to technical and find what you need.

i have a rev1 and changed the rear spoiler and lights. you have to fill 3 holes in each rear quarter panel, 6 holes in the bootlid and relocate the aerial. i had mine removed and filled. rear lights were a straight forward fit.

interior options are endless, they didnt come with standard interiors unless they were gt specs and even then there was a choice.

it's very easy to fit the rev3 rear lights... you just need to dent on the slam panel a little. As for the spoiler... like shaf said a few holes to get filled.

With regards to the aerial, you can easily nove it so it doesn't hit the rev3, or any spoiler, just use spacers where it's mounted inside the car to change the angle.

That's pretty much what I'm looking at shaf. I too would probably just remove the aerial and get the hole filled - just install my own system without a radio.

Good link Tain. How hard is this to do, I mean what are the chances of me totally messing it up big style - and also, where do you get the rear clusters/centre panel from?

I'd probably take the rear writing off aswel - not the MR2 in the centre panel, but the bits just below the spoiler - is this hard?

Taking the rear writing off might be a pain, could take some paint with it. As for the main job, its not that hard, It should just take an afternoon to do it.

My parts came from MR T, i'm not sure of anywhere else, but there is bound to be some. Could try E-bay, but that could end up overpriced. I can't quote you how much as I didn't buy them myself, sorry!

as far as i know the rev 2 has 157bhp and does 0-60 in 7.2 and the rev 3 has 174bhp but is about the same 0-60 as its alot heavier. im kinda new to the mr2 scene myself havin just got one so dont count on that info being spot on :P

Yeah, I heard that somewhere else before too. Would someone like to fill us in? What makes up that much weight difference, that 17 bhp is needed?

That white one in your signature is making me have thoughts again...

Hey Shaff, you had that few holes?? My car is in the body shop at mo, to have the 3 piece spoiler taken off (Rev 1), and I saw it the other day plain backed, and there was WAYYY more holes than I expected to be, on the wing tops, where the side spoiler bits are, there was 4 holes, not 3, and the boot lid itself,looked like swiss cheese!! I thought there was only 4 or 5 holes, cos I could see the bolts from under the bootlid, but NOOO, this baby had at least 8-12 holes in her!?!?!? And the centre piece of the spoiler came in 2 pieces, not 1. The aerial is hole is getting filled too, I is gna get an internal one neway. But all the holes are getting welding up I think, and the whole car is coming back hopefully in 3 colors!!! OOOOHHH yeahhhhh. you read it right 3 colors, just hope it turns out the way it should!! :(

the rev 1 & 2 had more torque than the rev 3+ mainly due to different gearing which gives it the slightly better acceleration.

rev 2 has the upgraded suspension and brakes and also 15's over 14's so a better NA....

bad @ss - i had mine done over a year ago so my memories not so good. i do know there were a lot of holes to fill :D

Yo Shaff, yeah baby, you sure are right about the loadsa holes to fill. Well, neway, when the holes get filled and lah dee dah, my alloy spoiler is getting bolted on, with a black rear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links