Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drive license for the Toyota Proace Medium 1.5

Steve347

Hi,

I just discovered that the vehicle weight could be a problem for my driving license (B)........................................

I wonder if the Toyota Proace Medium 1.5 is one of those that overtakes 3.5 tons, let me explain:

Vehicle Gross Weight: ~2.6 tons (people, fuel + load)

Vehicle Kerb Weight: ~1.6 tons (I guess the Van empty)

We are nowhere close to 3.5 tons, I noticed the Vehicle Train Weight of ~4 tons in the Proace specs, but is this about the weight of pulling a Caravan for example? I don't think it has anything to do with the VGW, or maybe is the max allowed between payload and trailer.

Anyway, the Van has the sticker on the right side that says that the Van could go beyond 3.5 tons (in a few words), so, can I drive it?
I don't need to use any sort of trailer and I'd never exceed 2.6 tons of VGW, well unless I transport gold 😄 

I found something "official" here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/62876d2cd3bf7f1f4947d306/inf30-requirements-for-towing-trailers-in-great-britain.pdf

Motor vehicle with a MAM of up
to 3,500kg, no more than eight
passenger seats with or without
a trailer – weighing no more than
750kg.

As category B but with a trailer
weighing more than 750kg. The
total weight of the vehicle and
trailer together can’t weigh more
than 3,500kg.

My doubt is, can I drive it if I keep it below 3.5 tons in GVW? (I don't need a trailer and I won't even exceed 2 tons...)

Or I can't drive it just because this Van can go beyond 3.5 tons?

Beyond my interpretation of the regulations, can I phone the DVLA or some competent office to double-check if I can drive it with a B license?

Is anyone aware on how it works?

• 4 months later...

These calculations help build an understanding of mechanics, efficiency, and safety—skills that are incredibly valuable.

37 minutes ago, Adremalynar said:

These calculations help build an understanding of mechanics, efficiency, and safety—skills that are incredibly valuable.

Thanks but I was asking because I may not interpret the English law very well, I wasn’t referring to mechanics/physics.

12 hours ago, Adremalynar said:

If you’re preparing for something more advanced, like the New York Hazmat CDL Test, tackling these types of problems is great practice. It teaches you to think critically and apply real-world knowledge, which will be beneficial in both the test and your future driving or operational tasks. Keep up the good work!

On 4/1/2024 at 7:17 PM, Steve347 said:

Or I can't drive it just because this Van can go beyond 3.5 tons?

The proace MAM is not above 3.5 tonne, so you are fine. The train weight just indicates that the proace is limited to tow trailers up to about 1.5 tonne (approx 4 - 2.6).

53 minutes ago, APS said:

The proace MAM is not above 3.5 tonne, so you are fine. The train weight just indicates that the proace is limited to tow trailers up to about 1.5 tonne (approx 4 - 2.6).

Thank you, this is what I was searching for.

1 hour ago, Adremalynar said:

If you’re preparing for something more advanced, like the New York Hazmat CDL Test, tackling these types of problems is great practice. It teaches you to think critically and apply real-world knowledge, which will be beneficial in both the test and your future driving or operational tasks. Keep up the good work!

Thanks but I was just asking if my interpretation of the British law was correct or not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links