Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

To charge now, when, or anytime?

jonesbach

Having retired I have the advantage over many of you that I can largely pick and choose when to charge. When is of no consequence to me, other than favouring “green” periods, and this probably applies to many others. Perhaps I should emphasise that leaving the car on charge for days is is not an option. The 12v Battery will discharge.

Now as I write this the UK generation is fairly “green” and will probably remain so for a number of days. However, from Ovo’s point of view or whoever your provider, there must be degrees of “greenness” between days varying from cheaper electricity to negative pricing. Now Kaluza can pick this over the 12 hour period when the car is on charge, but the rest depends on luck.

It’s no skin off my nose, I pay 7p whenever, but wouldn’t it be in everyone’s interest if Kaluza or Ovo could make a “Power forecast” for coming days or even better send notifications, a preference call to charge or not charge on any given day.

Any thoughts?

Edited by jonesbach

I think for most people electricity is a fixed per-unit cost, so it wouldn't make much difference when they charged.

I know there are variable rate tariffs available with some providers but as you say they can be very random!

Well providing the insurance companies don't kill the Hybrid and Electric vehicle market then Ultimately, as electric vehicle adoption continues to increase and the energy landscape evolves, we may see more widespread availability and adoption of flexible pricing structures and smart charging solutions that cater to the needs and preferences of consumers.:smile:

Apologies FROSTYBALLS, it’s now updated. My only excuse is that I only recently took delivery and I haven’t yet got my feet firmly back on the ground. I’m sure that will happen when the dvla hit me with that supertax bracket you recently posted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links