Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Xl 1,3@1,6gti Twin Cam

CorollaGti

Hello Guys this is my first post!I'm Bill from Greece!

I just got my dad's corolla xl 1,3!I 'm thinking modding it into a 1,6gti twin cam!

Is it worth doing?Because i think the xl has 2 bases for the engine and the gti 3 and i have heard that is very risky!Also can you give me some more details for further modding!Always atmosphere power!

I'm sorry for my bad english!

Because i think the xl has 2 bases for the engine and the gti 3 and i have heard that is very risky!

I'm sorry for my bad english!

Welcome aboard Bill. :thumbsup:

What year is the Rolla you are going to use from???

Is it the same as the one in the picture to the left??

If so, a GTI engine will go in without any problems.

Is it worth doing? If you have a load of spare cash then, YES!!!!

If you have this spare cash then you might be better to go for the Mk1 MR2 4A-GZE Supercharged version instead of the 4A-GE GTI engine. This is a beast of an engine that can be imported from Japan for about £1300!!! Speak to Jon Barnes on jonbarnes@jbmotorsport.co.uk and also check out http://www.jbmotorsport.co.uk/ which is his website. CompleteEngineLTopView.jpg

There are a few guy's on this site that have a much better knowledge of older Rollas than me though.

By the way, your English is a hell of a lot better than my Greek. I know the odd Latin word but no Greek at all!! P.S I'm enjoying the Olympics too!!! :thumbsup:

My father bought it in 1990!It's not injection!This 4A-GE is the one i'm talking about?(1,6gti twin cam?)!The 4A-ZGE is the same one but with the word supercharged you mean turbo?

Also I have heard that these engines can change into 20v from 16v with another top!Is it right?

Finally expect from these engines is there something better?

A lot of questions xixixi...

Also i forgot to say that is exactly the same with yours and in the same colour but instead of gti is xl(1300) :crybaby:

:drool: :drool:I think I found the engine i was looking for fromjbmotorsport!It's the Toyota 4A-GE

20v Black!!!!!!!!I don't want to use supercharge(isn't it turbo?)!So the 170bhp is ideal for me!Also by pushing it some more could i reach 200bhp???Are these engines in good conditions???

If it's 1990 then chances are it's the same shape as the GTI (AE92).

You should be able to get this engine in then!!

Turbo and Supercharger are totally different. (Very basicly) Turbo's work off the exhaust gasses spinning a fan to suck more air/fuel in (that's how I think of it), and the Supercharger works by using a belt, driven by the engine to suck more air into the engine.

There is a 20V 4A-GE. I don't know anything about it really. I think it was in the AE86 originally!?!? There's someone on here that has one though.

IS THERE SOMETHING BETTER!!!! :eek: there sure is. You could go for a 3S-GTE out of a Mk2 MR2 Turbo from Japan for more money than the 4A-GZE!

A lad named Dawsey on this site has done this to his Rolla. He gets 300+bhp from his. There's alot more work that will need doing to the engine bay if you want to do this though. It is also a very expensive thing to do. I think he has spent about £10,000-£15,000 so far on the engine!!

No i think I'm going to be fully covered with the one i said before!

Is it possible of getting 200bhp with this engine without a turbocharger?

Finally if I decide in the future of putting a turbocharger is it going to be possible?

No i think I'm going to be fully covered with the one i said before!

Is it possible of getting 200bhp with this engine without a turbocharger?

Finally if I decide in the future of putting a turbocharger is it going to be possible?

It's possibel to do I believe, But, it's not worth the money. It would be cheaper to get the 4A-GZE (160-165bhp) and then put an oversized pully wheel on it to get about 195bhp, than it would be to get a 4A-GE to 200bhp. (The engine would die). Mine is running at about 130bhp at the moment. The 4A-GZE has stronger inner parts!! One of these is next on my list of mods!

Check this site out for all you need to know about increasing your bhp on a 4A-GE.

http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm#115hp

No I don't mean changing or "teasing" the inner parts but from the exhaust system filter ECU etc!MAinly the periphersal!!!

Guys I just found that my rolla is EE90 so I think is difficult to change the engine into 4A-GE 20v black or I'm wrong?And if i can what kind of modification am i going to need?

Also how many kilos does corolla gti weight?

It weighs about 1200kg's mate.

Mods you can do:

free flowing exhaust (no bigger that 48mm ID)

performance airfilter

cams (no longer than 272' duration)

Vernier gears

fuel regulator

ECU chip.

(in that order for maximum benefit)

ok but can i put the engine in my EE90 rolla(it's not theAe92)???Outside is the same as yours!!!

if it looks the same as TOYMOTA's then it is an AE92, and it will fit, but bear in mind, your gonna HAVE to do the brakes and suspension as well

20v 4A-GE's were fitted to the AE101 - jdm only, originally they've about 160bhp. all AE86's running them are conversions, AE86s had the early TVIS 4-AGE.

ok and what's better the silver or the black top?I ask because the hp power difference is little(about 10hp)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links