Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Next time I’ll buy a Yaris instead!

Habu

Fill your jeans up with treacle then try to run a marathon on a cold morning.  

• Haha 6

Bring back 20w 50, now that was a REAL man’s oil….

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

39 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

now that was a REAL man’s oil….

me, looking doubtfully at these modern technologies, holding a bucket of seep oil in my hand to lubricate the axles in my cart
😄 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I used to love the green oil from Duchams.  Back in the 70's oil crisis I stocked up with a couple of cans just before the price went over £1 a gallon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

I used to love the green oil from Duchams.  Back in the 70's oil crisis I stocked up with a couple of cans just before the price went over £1 a gallon!

I used to service Fiats with FIRE engines in them (when I couldn’t possibly avoid working on one) and they had the most ridiculous oil filler hole in the cam cover.   It could take what seemed like an hour to get 20/50 through that hole.  I’m still not friends with Fiats, I wouldn’t have one given to me if it had a manhole on top.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Habu said:

I’ve written (email) to Mazda UK about the poor service and I’ve also asked for the correct oil to be put in the car.  Dealer - who must be feeling the heat now - is saying it was actually 5W30 and not 10W30 but is adamant it’s the right oil for the Mazda2 Hybrid.  I’m saying it’s still out of spec. I’m just waiting for MMUK to intervene and get the oil changed.

According to Owner Manual the preferred grade is 0W8 and then 0W16 and 0W20 / 5W30 put to same priority.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trewithy said:

It's the second time today Duckhams has had a mention. They had great marketing, it had a lovely green colour to it, but apart from that it was as poor as any other 20-50 of it's day, it did a job, but nothing like todays modern oils. We used to sell thousands of gallons of the stuff 

• Like 3

I remember their adverts from the 70s and 80s which gave the impression that the oil was a quality product.  I always used Shell products on the recommendation of my Dad who was in the motor industry for over 40 years.  I do however get confused by the many synthetic oils that are now available.

• Like 3

They used to say duckhams fu##@hms, 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, anchorman said:

Fill your jeans up with treacle then try to run a marathon on a cold morning.  

I've heard that sort of thing is a kink with some people... :naughty: :laugh: 

14 hours ago, Primus1 said:

That reminds me we found a bottle of Castrol GTX 20w50 at the back of my dad's shed a few years ago; I'm pretty sure it's well past its useby date but the slugs and spiders seemed to like it.

It's probably still there because nobody wants to touch it due to the aforementioned spiders and slugs... :sick: 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

I've heard that sort of thing is a kink with some people... :naughty: :laugh: 

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...

Well, after Mazda Motors UK (MMUK) couldn't find my first complaint email (it ended up in their suspicious bin and was deleted) they acknowledged that they now had the second one.  Long story short, Burrows Mazda York, at their cost, have been instructed by MMUK to change the oil and filter.  I get the impression this dealer have had a rollicking by MMUK especially as a "Mazda-trained" technician wasn't aware were to look up the tyre pressures and tried to find then on some Mazda database.  We all know the cold pressures are located on the sticker on the drivers side B pillar.  Technician decided 41psi in the front and 38psi in the rears was probably right.  They should be 32/29 (f/r) on the Mazda2 Hybrid running on 16s.  Burrows Mazda York know I'm going to inspect the intact oil bottle before it's dispensed into the car.  Hopefully, the Mazda-trained technicians know how to change the oil and filter.  

MMUK are also contacting each dealer to advise of the correct servicing procedure for a Mazda2 Hybrid, especially the oil grade.  

I got on really well with Burrows but the last / first service has left a sour taste in my mouth and I have questioned their ability to service cars correctly.  My name is probably now blackballed as I got MMUK involved.  Oh dear, never mind. 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links