Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stalled engine-would not start!

Vimalajaya

Stalled engine but could restart it, after trying numerous times? Restated about 10 mind later! Can anyone help with this issue. It’s happened twice now in 2 months. Thank you and I look forward to some help please.

Hi Vimalajaya, have you plugged in a OBD reader to see if any codes come up.Fuel delivery issues are a possibility since the engine restarted after multiple tries. A partially clogged fuel filter or a slightly failing fuel pump could allow the engine to restart after some time as fuel pressure builds up.

The stalling and eventual restart suggest the problem might be intermittent, which aligns with a partially clogged component or a pump that's starting to weaken.

Fuel delivery issues are a common cause of stalling, especially if they haven't been addressed through recent maintenance like a fuel filter change. Hope this helps.:smile:

What engine is it?

There was an issue with the starter motor in the old 2L diesel engines which meant they couldn't start when the car was still hot, and the fix was a revised starter motor that didn't have that design flaw (Although some people refurbished the starter themselves which also seemed to fix it)

1.6 petrol. Thanks for this . Reading some others peoples issues they say it may be the Battery. Now sure this one’s only a year old! Only bought the car 2 months ago so will check this out first I think. Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Vimalajaya, have you plugged in a OBD reader to see if any codes come up.Fuel delivery issues are a possibility since the engine restarted after multiple tries. A partially clogged fuel filter or a slightly failing fuel pump could allow the engine to restart after some time as fuel pressure builds up.

The stalling and eventual restart suggest the problem might be intermittent, which aligns with a partially clogged component or a pump that's starting to weaken.

Fuel delivery issues are a common cause of stalling, especially if they haven't been addressed through recent maintenance like a fuel filter change. Hope this helps.:smile:

Just now, Vimalajaya said:

1.6 petrol. Thanks for this . Reading some others peoples issues they say it may be the Battery. Not sure this one’s only a year plus old! Only bought the car 2 months ago so will check this out first I think, it’s only done (19k total miles) and 500 miles in last 18 months as owned by elderly gent. Thanks for the info. 

Q1. Does the engine crank (turn) when the failure to start happens?

Q2. Do you get any immobiliser fault symptoms when you insert key? eg whats status of central alarm/lock led?

Q3. Whats Battery voltage dip to when cranking?

Q4. When you say it stalled, do you actually mean engine cut out whilst running?

Q5.is your check engine light stay on when it does start?

Q6. Check obd history for faults. Otherwise you will be clutching at straws as to the cause.

• Like 1

Hello Two people here that I follow with documented serious opinions, Bper and Cyker, believing that the car is a diesel, you have not clarified anything absolute until their answer. Later you did of course but how you expect an answer to the vague question you asked I can't understand, so many opinions - advice from users do not respond thanks

• Like 2

20 hours ago, solero said:

Q1. Does the engine crank (turn) when the failure to start happens?

Nothing just silence.

Q2. Do you get any immobiliser fault symptoms when you insert key? eg whats status of central alarm/lock led? 
it happened when I was on a roundabout with three lanes of traffic, I panicked tried to restart the car and nothing, phone the breakdown people they said phone 999 which I did, whilst I was speaking to then I tried the engine again and it started. Sorry to be vague but I didn’t see any engine lights come up.

Q3. Whats battery voltage dip to when cranking? Will get this checked out.

Q4. When you say it stalled, do you actually mean engine cut out whilst running? No I believe I stalled it as on a busy roundabout in an unfamiliar place where I was a little lost.

Q5.is your check engine light stay on when it does start? No

Q6. Check obd history for faults. Otherwise you will be clutching at straws as to the cause. Will get this checked out only just returned from Glasgow back to Wales so will know more after I take to garage, called into Toyota Carlisle on my way home today but no one in the service area only sales.

thanks for these Questions they will help when I’m explaining to the garage.

20 hours ago, solero said:

13 hours ago, xrhstosgr said:

Hello Two people here that I follow with documented serious opinions, Bper and Cyker, believing that the car is a diesel, you have not clarified anything absolute until their answer. Later you did of course but how you expect an answer to the vague question you asked I can't understand, so many opinions - advice from users do not respond thanks

Apologies was a little spoked as the event frightened me and I was away from home so was grasping at straws really. Should have been clearer with my request. Thank for this advice.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links