Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris vs Honda Jazz

ninanina

On 5/11/2024 at 11:35 PM, ninanina said:

After I had the test drive in the Honda Jazz I chatted to the dealer about ‘wiggle room’ on the price and they said there is some so I asked if they could email me with their best price.   They said they would after I left the showroom.  I’m still waiting for that email

I phoned on Saturday to chase them and I am still waiting and as they are closed on Sunday it’s going to be at least Monday before I hear from them

I’m pretty certain that my lovely friendly local Toyota dealer wouldn’t even let me leave the dealership without giving me their best offer; I’d still, of course, negotiate even that offer

I feel really let down by the Honda dealer.  If I don’t hear from them by Tuesday I simply won’t deal with them as it doesn’t bode well for after sales service 

Also there was a lot of confusion about the Honda extended warranty and service plans and this was from a sales guy who has been working there for quite a while 

With Toyota on the other hand it’s so simple to understand……..”This is how much a service plan will be which includes breakdown cover (and MOT’s if required) and your warranty is 10 years”… end of 

The Jazz may well be a nice car but I’m pretty put off at the moment which is why I’m pursuing the Yaris/Cross a bit more 

Would welcome your advise please We had our much loved 2009 Honda Jazz written off by a hit and run driver.

We have been comparing Yaris Design/Mazda/Honda jazz elegance 2023/24 hybrid automatics.Really nothing to choose between them except the Jazz elegance feels roomier brighter and the windscreen design is wider and clearer.After test drives we dithered and then decided the wide door opening boot storage magic seats and comfort especially as one of us has mobility issues made the Jazz the best choice ... but..we were uneasy about our Honda dealer....and now online we read about the problems with costly brake pad issues which Honda are apparently not addressing in the UK.....so. it's back to the drawing board.  Did Ninanina ever choose the Yaris over the Jazz as I know she mentioned similar issues here ? I woul thank anyone for their advice over this as we do not do a lot of miles driving and it as come as a bit of a shock trying to replace our written off Honda .We wanted to embrace the new hybrids technology and enjoy a new automatic but keep coming up against dead ends.Thankyou

Funnily enough my in-laws have been Jazz drivers for years but immediately didn't like the new one when they sat in it BECAUSE of the windscreen design! They felt exposed and unsafe in it. I briefly considered a Jazz when I was car hunting but must admit that I'm not keen on the design looks-wise, both overall and with the screen having the really big side windows BEFORE the actual door windows. Despite Honda saying otherwise, to me it still looks like (to stereotype wildly) an older person's car, though looks are subjective of course. It will be a much more practical car than the Yaris though- coming from a Fiesta, I find that the Yaris has a lot less internal storage, and of course a slightly smaller boot. I can live with that though- I always think, you learn to pack the boot you've got.

I can't speak for the brake issue you mention but If you are uneasy with your dealer, can you find another..?

13 minutes ago, BlueMike1972 said:

Funnily enough my in-laws have been Jazz drivers for years but immediately didn't like the new one when they sat in it BECAUSE of the windscreen design! They felt exposed and unsafe in it. I briefly considered a Jazz when I was car hunting but must admit that I'm not keen on the design looks-wise, both overall and with the screen having the really big side windows BEFORE the actual door windows. Despite Honda saying otherwise, to me it still looks like (to stereotype wildly) an older person's car, though looks are subjective of course. It will be a much more practical car than the Yaris though- coming from a Fiesta, I find that the Yaris has a lot less internal storage, and of course a slightly smaller boot. I can live with that though- I always think, you learn to pack the boot you've got.

I can't speak for the brake issue you mention but If you are uneasy with your dealer, can you find another..?

Thankyou for your thoughts.Really is a dilemma for us.Because of our old Honda being written off we are having to take public transport (luckily using our just qualified OAP passes) to get to any local dealers to view and test drive autos.Only have one Honda and one Toyota/Mazda dealership within easyish 2 bus radius.

Alao looked at Hyundai Kona  but as friends(not living locally) had good experiences with Yaris in the past 3 years(albeit on PCP initially) and Toyota being fairly near we then narrowed choice  down to Toyota/Mazda/Honda.

Even then going to a Toyota event yesterday we didn't see any new cars in the showroom that we could test drive.We would probably manage with Yaris Design spec but sitting in the cabin it did seem quite dark and claustrophobic with not much head height and I'm a short person.The Honda jazz elegance seating and cabin just seemed airier and the seats more plush and comfortable.We did test driver one of the salesmen's own Yaris and a  used Design model and a Mazda 2 hybrid but we kept coming back to the comfort of the ride and narrow door openings. It's an expensive business and we want this new purchase to be trouble free for next ten years and we will be learning to use a whole lot of new driving skills in an automatic/self charging hybrid I am confident once we have the right car the old petrol driving muscle memory reactions will be adjusted.Its just finding that new car !

If anyone else has any advice or has faced this dilemma I would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Thankyou

2 minutes ago, canuhelp said:

we will be learning to use a whole lot of new driving skills in an automatic/self charging hybrid I am confident once we have the right car the old petrol driving muscle memory reactions will be adjusted.

That part at least, I have found to be very easy indeed- four weeks in, I can't imagine that I ever drove a manual! It's so, so easy to go auto, and to drive the hybrid (fairly!) smoothly from the off.

Best of luck with your search, hope you get sorted!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlueMike1972 said:

That part at least, I have found to be very easy indeed- four weeks in, I can't imagine that I ever drove a manual! It's so, so easy to go auto, and to drive the hybrid (fairly!) smoothly from the off.

Best of luck with your search, hope you get sorted!

May I ask what your in laws drive ? I will also love to follow your experiences in your Excel .

Did you buy from a local dealership within Tyne and Wear ? Many thanks

They are staying with their previous model Jazz.

I bought my Yaris from Stoneacre Toyota in Gateshead- I dealt with two different guys (Richard and Mark) and they were both truly excellent.

My experiences of my Yaris are here-

Thank you Mike.Maybe we should try and get a bus to Stoneacre Gateshead Toyota ! 

Will enjoy following your Toyota excel experiences !

We encountered when out and about some ladies who were enjoying their 21 plate Honda Jazz hybrid but I believe it's the 20 onwards models that have the brake problem .

Which Jazz model are your parents currently driving .Did you not win them over to Toyota ?

Thankyou.We two Geordies are so glad a North East poster replied !

North East poster, but I'm actually from South! LOL. My in-laws haven't seen the Yaris yet, that comes next week, so you never know!

Well if you don't really need nearly new then another jazz which is a few years younger than the one u had?

27 minutes ago, BlueMike1972 said:

North East poster, but I'm actually from South! LOL. My in-laws haven't seen the Yaris yet, that comes next week, so you never know!

1 minute ago, Mojo1010 said:

Well if you don't really need nearly new then another jazz which is a few years younger than the one u had?

Thanks Mojo .Our old Honda was a used car  with a petrol/ manual 2009 plate When it was written off  2 weeks ago as non repairable, we thought we would embrace the green evolution of cars and didn't want fully electric- so looked for affordable hybrid.But even 2 to 3 year old Honda Jazz hybrids are costly and looks like the brake problem issue with them is just coming to light as they come out of their Honda 3 year warranty ?That's why we may be coming over to Toyota or Mazda ?

Thanks for your response

40 minutes ago, BlueMike1972 said:

Thanks again Mike.So do you mean once your in laws experience your Excel they may change up from their old Jazz to a Yaris.? which model Jazz do they have currently ?

Sorry for so many questions ...

Wonder if we should just sacrifice the comfort / mobility ease factors of the Jazz Elegance and opt for a 2024 Yaris Design spec model and hope we get used to the ride ?

They might take an interest in the Yaris, but I suspect they will stick with their Jazz, which is the previous, non-hybrid model.

1 minute ago, BlueMike1972 said:

They might take an interest in the Yaris, but I suspect they will stick with their Jazz, which is the previous, non-hybrid model.

Thankyou...hope you get some lovely weather in which to enjoy your Excel 🤞

• Like 1

@canuhelp one thing to consider if moving to a hybrid is the 12 volt Battery issue experienced by some low mileage users. 

I share your view about the lack of space in the latest Yaris. In the past I have had a D4D t spirit, a 1.33 and a 1.5 Y20 and lack of space was never an issue. The latest model, however, seems a much smaller car. I now have a Yaris Cross which has bags of room.

My ex wife has a non hybrid Jazz and it definitely has more room in the cabin than the Yaris.

Out of interest which Mazda were you considering? I rather like the CX30 but it comes with mild hybrid and the same 12 volt Battery issues.

30 minutes ago, Chas G said:

@canuhelp one thing to consider if moving to a hybrid is the 12 volt battery issue experienced by some low mileage users. 

I share your view about the lack of space in the latest Yaris. In the past I have had a D4D t spirit, a 1.33 and a 1.5 Y20 and lack of space was never an issue. The latest model, however, seems a much smaller car. I now have a Yaris Cross which has bags of room.

My ex wife has a non hybrid Jazz and it definitely has more room in the cabin than the Yaris.

Out of interest which Mazda were you considering? I rather like the CX30 but it comes with mild hybrid and the same 12 volt battery issues.

Hi Chas thanks for your response.We only looked at Mazda as the current models are rebadged Toyota's I believe ? we looked at both the Centreline and Exclusive specs.But each came down ,both Mazda and Yaris Icon or Design specs to lack of room and dark  almost  claustrophobic feeling in the cabin.We did very low mileage in our old beloved Jazz but it was a comfortable ride for both front and back seat passengers. Maybe we would just get used to it in time ?

We only need a small car and thought we might have found it in the Jazz Elegance hybrid.But all these problems with batteries failing or brake servos failing or windscreens delaminating are very off putting when you are someone who knows little about cars and doesn't have a pet mechanic who can give you transparency over the new technology and what problems are going on presently.

Even dealerships are not being transparent and when you raise these concerns they just waft it away with ' we've not had any problems' 

Maybe we are overthinking the whole thing ? just want a car to enjoy and be safe in....

Last year's Excel has a lighter interior if you wanted to consider a used car

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dash said:

Last year's Excel has a lighter interior if you wanted to consider a used car

My 22 year Dynamic came with grey roof lining

• Thanks 1

If you are about an automatic car and hybrid or electric, it’s not the question what make and model to consider, but what model Toyota to choose? 
These are the best cars at the moment by all means. 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If you are about an automatic car and hybrid or electric, it’s not the question what make and model to consider, but what model Toyota to choose? 
These are the best cars at the moment by all means. 👍

Thankyou Tony.

But we went to an event at our local Toyota dealership and the Yaris Icon or Design was the only hatchback that met our spec/ budget.They even had a used demo almost showroom quality in the lot but it was still to cramped and dark inside compared to what we hoped for....

Think we need to keep looking but we have maxed out our enthusiasm for getting on public transport and travelling to dealership's this week.

• Like 1

I have had the Mazda CX30 that had Battery issues, down sized to Honda jazz Crosstar lovely roomy interior happy with mileage to then discover brake issue that seems to have been narrowed to batch of cars built in 2021 (mine was) So rather than risk the hassle of lengthy repairs and warranty claims! Decided to downsize again to the Yaris but found it very dark and closed in.

I eventually went for top spec with Panasonic sun roof that just makes it more light and airy then went further and opted for the Mazda rebadged version for the HUD that I had previously on the CX30 and missed.

Got 0% finance 3 years free service, only 3 years warranty but that’s how long I keep them.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, canuhelp said:

Thankyou Tony.

But we went to an event at our local Toyota dealership and the Yaris Icon or Design was the only hatchback that met our spec/ budget.They even had a used demo almost showroom quality in the lot but it was still to cramped and dark inside compared to what we hoped for....

Think we need to keep looking but we have maxed out our enthusiasm for getting on public transport and travelling to dealership's this week.

Hi, 

if you are about buying new you can arrange test drives and try different models to see what you like and what suits your needs. 
Then don’t buy it no matter what deal you gonna get. 
Go back home and use your browser and find carwow , sign in and search for deals. Buy from there instead, you gonna save £0000 and likely to buy the top spec car for the price of mid range. , or perhaps mid range for the price of entry level, a great value for money. Another car brokers are drivethedeal 👍

Hybrid jazz start from year 2011 so there are plenty of cheaper than nearly new around. Go for the highest spec. 

Jazz hybrid link. 

All full and mild hybrid cars can have 12 volt Battery problems if you don't use them regularly or, more to the point, for long enough.

After having had 3 yaris's I did look at the new model but it was too small and dark inside.

Maybe you should widen your search to include Hyundai and Kia who offer reasonable warranties or as someone suggested, get the latest non hybrid Jazz you can find. I have seen some locally with very little mileage.  I think my ex wife's Jazz is an 18 plate and she hasn't had any problems with it. Like my previous Yaris's just fill up with fuel and get a service every year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bruceboss said:

I have had the Mazda CX30 that had battery issues, down sized to Honda jazz Crosstar lovely roomy interior happy with mileage to then discover brake issue that seems to have been narrowed to batch of cars built in 2021 (mine was) So rather than risk the hassle of lengthy repairs and warranty claims! Decided to downsize again to the Yaris but found it very dark and closed in.

I eventually went for top spec with Panasonic sun roof that just makes it more light and airy then went further and opted for the Mazda rebadged version for the HUD that I had previously on the CX30 and missed.

Got 0% finance 3 years free service, only 3 years warranty but that’s how long I keep them.

Thankyou Bruce I appreciate your feedback.You certainly love and know your cars.

It also makes me appreciate why we saw so many used Honda Crosstars for sale on the dealerships and online and quite a few used 20/21 models for sale.

Perhaps many of them had been traded in on account of the shadow of the prospect of a costly brake servo error popping up in the future ?

I understand that like all tech, many people will trade in an auto or a phone or a TV or an iPad after 3 years or so, because they want the very latest tech or something that appeals to them more.

We did not look for a new or used car with that intention.

We had particular requirements based on our needs for a small hatchback and an airy comfortable modern car that was not too expensive and that we could easily park and maintain on a quiet residential street.To be used for supermarket trips,day excursions up the coast and out into the Northumberland countryside and taking the kids to football etc.

We don't want buyers remorse or having to trade in every so many years.We hope and expect our next car will suit us into our old age despite appreciating that as tech, AI ,etc advances it will probably be out of date within 3 years.

We are probably auto dinosaurs in this respect ! 

But thankyou for sharing your experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

if you are about buying new you can arrange test drives and try different models to see what you like and what suits your needs. 
Then don’t buy it no matter what deal you gonna get. 
Go back home and use your browser and find carwow , sign in and search for deals. Buy from there instead, you gonna save £0000 and likely to buy the top spec car for the price of mid range. , or perhaps mid range for the price of entry level, a great value for money. Another car brokers are drivethedeal 👍

Thanks again.

We did actually do this after our test drives.We didn't want a bigger spec car.We just wanted a brighter cabin interior and even the Mazda's/ Yaris with the grey interior did not overcome the cramped and uncomfortable seats or lack of headroom.

We also found looking at CarWow that they weren't aware of the almost £1500 pound off special deal that Honda currently has on new hybrids.

But thanks again for your much appreciated feedback

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links