Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Information on what happens when you claim on insurance

dads Taxi x3

On 5/12/2024 at 4:35 PM, Stevie J said:

So its only if the insurance write the car off and take it away from the owner that it gains the cat status. I stand corrected on that one. 

CAT status is when the insurer writes off the car as uneconomical to repair. The car now becomes the property of the insurance company. The owner ( see below ) can always make an offer to the insurer to buy the car back and repair it themselves, but obviously it's now a CAT car.

I don't know the answer to this. In the above example, when the insurer writes off a car, do they become the new owner?

Example - you buy a brand new car for £20,000.  It's written off next day buy a 3rd party as the repair cost is estimated £15,000.  Your insurer pays out the full £20,000.  You then make an offer of £10,000 to buy the car from the insurer, and you fix the car yourself...    When the car was new, obviously you were the 1st registered owner and keeper. What's the status now - are you still the 1st owner/keeper or are you the 3rd?  I haven't a clue how it works.

Actually thinking on it - does the car become the property of your insurer or the 3rd party insurer when it's written off? I'd have guessed at it being the latter but again I haven't a scoobie.

The V5 is not proof of ownership it is  only a document that tells the money grabbers in South Wales who to grab the money from and that is all.

In the case above there will be only one registered keeper after the insurance dance.

1 hour ago, RonYarisX said:

When the car was new, obviously you were the 1st registered owner and keeper. What's the status now - are you still the 1st owner/keeper or are you the 3rd?  I haven't a clue how it works.

I imagine it's the same as when you sell or px a car to a garage. There's a special process so they don't become the next keeper and that honour passes to the next actual 'user'.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all sorry for the delay . They written it off they paid him what he paid for the car and we still waiting on the out pocket cost . 

He used our other car as the insurance took that long to instruct a garage  they wrote it off using the two photos I sent showing the damage of him reversing in to the garage at home . The garage call 3 days later by then we accepted the offer so he didn't get a car so we claimed for him using his sisters car an us dropping her to work .as he's further to go . 

So he bought a same car yaris 2 yrs older but more extras less miles  . An they didn't put up his insurance it went down £200 . They collected the car same day the log book arrived . 

So it worked out OK 

The insurance ones was very slow in starting the claim mind you i said it was because we only had it running 11 days as you have 14 days to cancle so it might been that for some reason . But once they offered the amout I asked him and I said we paid this amount and she then said OK we pay you that .asked him he said yes lol . 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links