Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Separate the engine from the transmission (3S-FE, 1999)

GreeSaber

I've been fighting to separate the engine from the transmission for hours but can't get it to budge. I've tried pulling it back and forth (the small distance it's actually moving), shaking like mad, slide hammer with chain around the transmission etc. Is there something I'm missing or is more force the only way?

The engine is a 3S-FE 2.0 litre petrol with manual transmission. It's actually in an Avensis, but I know that Rav 4s and Camrys used the same engine in some models.

I've attached two images to show how much it's separated at the moment. I'm very thankful for any tips and experiences.

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_5049.jpg

Jorgen, you've reported your original post again!

Have you've removed the drive shafts and unbolted the centre bearing on the rear of the enguine block as Flash asked about a few days ago?

7 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Jorgen, you've reported your original post again!

I figured that the Rav 4 subforum had more activity (and eyeballs) but the same engine/transmission in some models, so maybe someone that has solved the some problem with their Rav 4 might not read the Avensis subforum.

8 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Have you've removed the drive shafts and unbolted the centre bearing on the rear of the enguine block as Flash asked about a few days ago?

Thank you for your reply. If you mean the parts in the attached picture, yes. I've removed the shift cables, every bolt holding the engine and transmission together, every engine mount etc.

As far as I can see the tranmission is just hanging on to the engine side by the shaft itself, but it simply refuses to budge to the point where I suspect there's something I'm missing.

IMG_6389.jpg

I suspect your thrutching has move the clutch plate. I would put it back together and press the clutch so any pressure preventing it from coming out is removed. If you have it hanging from the gearbox input shaft there is a good chance that you have buggered the gearbox. You should never let it hang in that position, it should be on a transmission jack so that it is held central throughout the procedure.

• Like 1

Think you may cause confusion with two almost indentical posts on the forum.

FLASH22 asked this on your other post:-

"I take it is a manual and you have pulled the drive shafts, did you also unbolt the centre bearing on the back of the block to pull the shaft out of the box"

He's amongst the most knowledgable members here! I Only see the one drive shaft in you latest image, could be you need both removed, I'm no expert! He also asks about unbolting the centre bearing but perhaqps that's the the other part in the box with your drive shaft.

Mjolinor above could be right about the thrust bearing and the clutch plate, give his suggestion a try and make sure the box is supported.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links