Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excel vs Premiere Edition

ninanina

49 minutes ago, Sharnie70 said:

Hi Bev. Just wondered what you found uncomfortable in the excel Yaris. I’m still trying to get a comfortable driving position in my Yaris. I think part of it is the shape of the seats as my old car didn’t have the bolster sides. I didn’t notice this on the 2 one hour test drives I did. 

Hi Shelagh

I found the seats and driving position to be perfect for me but I found the ride was far too firm and jittery.  This is compared to my Prius though which I know is a comfortable car.  The Cross was slightly better but that’s probably because it was Design spec so had smaller wheels with larger side walls 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ninanina said:

My sales chap was very understanding though and after chatting again to the manager I decided to take a look at what else they had to offer…….. so next up was a CH-R 2 litre about 18 months old (old shape)

I know the CH-R fairly well as I hired one in Majorca last year and was very impressed with it 

As soon as I started driving it I knew it was a car that I could live with.  I took it on the same trip as the other two and came away thinking I will just buy it.  The 2 litre version was also so much nippier than I remember the 1.8 being 

However I’d taken rather longer chatting than expected and I was running out of time so there was no way to go deeper into purchasing so have booked to go back next week for a second look 

Be advised the first generation C-HR is extremely easy to steal via the CAN invader theft method & Toyota still haven't come up with a solution to prevent theft.

Some insurance companies also refuse to insure them / load the premium OR insist on a Thatcham Cat 2 or TASSA approved secondary immobiliser to be fitted by an approved installer before covering the vehicle. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Be advised the first generation C-HR is extremely easy to steal via the CAN invader theft method & Toyota still haven't come up with a solution to prevent theft.

Some insurance companies also refuse to insure them / load the premium OR insist on a Thatcham Cat 2 or TASSA approved secondary immobiliser to be fitted by an approved installer before covering the vehicle. 

Thanks for the advice as I didn’t know that 

I will double check with my insurance provider before I go ahead with anything 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

The chr 70/71 plate was my major consideration when the time to upgrade to a bigger car from the Yaris. Looks like that will not be the case after doing some reading, unless the 2nd immobiliser are all sorted and prevent the theft. 

Not sure there isn't much on this issue in the chr forum here, reading other forums on the web suggest it's happening quite a bit, with u commenting in them. 

20 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

unless the 2nd immobiliser are all sorted and prevent the theft. 

Will stop it being taken but won't prevent the damage from a theft attempt.

• Sad 1

I hope that I haven’t offended anyone saying that I didn’t like the ride quality of the Yaris/Cross

I am frankly disappointed that I won’t be able to purchase a brand new car as I had my heart set on the Yaris 

There is nothing in the current Toyota lineup that really appeals to me so I will be looking into their nearly new C-HR’s instead 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ninanina said:

I hope that I haven’t offended anyone saying that I didn’t like the ride quality of the Yaris/Cross

I am frankly disappointed that I won’t be able to purchase a brand new car as I had my heart set on the Yaris 

There is nothing in the current Toyota lineup that really appeals to me so I will be looking into their nearly new C-HR’s instead 

Hi Bev you haven’t offended me. Everyone is different for how they feel in the car otherwise we would all have the same. I’m still having problems with sore joints. Neck, shoulder and shoulder socket and elbows. Hope it’s just my body taking time to adjust to the different feel of the car after having the same car for 7 years and not much different before that. I do have a neck problem anyway and my joints do flare up from time to time. Here’s hoping it gets better. Good luck with finding the right car for you. 

• Like 2

Everyone has different preference. I don't think I would want to live with the tyre profile of the hatchback excel either (205/45/17). Design spec tyres are more comfortable (195/55/16). Last year I spoke to a driving instructor with the excel Yaris, he said he was struggling with the ride comfort. 

Haven't driven the cross, will pass on that as I don't think it has enough power for my driving on higher speed roads. 130bhp cost too much for only 14hp more, so chr was also my consideration. Then again the can bus theft is another issue on the gen1!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

so chr was also my consideration. Then again the can bus theft is another issue on the gen1!

Easily sorted by installing a decent aftermarket security system.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Easily sorted by installing a decent aftermarket security system.

A steering wheel lock or 2nd immobiliser or both? What have you done to your car? I hate the idea of having a steering wheel lock unless I already got the car, unaware of the security breach prior to that. 

On 5/25/2024 at 10:58 AM, ninanina said:

Crikey Bev, when we have a tiff, we’re virtual thumping each other.  Calling our cars names might make our bottom lip quiver but we get over that when somebody mentions fuel or ULEZ then we’re off again.  All forgotten next morning 😉👍

• Like 3

On 5/26/2024 at 10:12 PM, anchorman said:

Crikey Bev, when we have a tiff, we’re virtual thumping each other.  Calling our cars names might make our bottom lip quiver but we get over that when somebody mentions fuel or ULEZ then we’re off again.  All forgotten next morning 😉👍

☺️

I am just glad I didn’t upset anyone 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/25/2024 at 3:58 PM, ninanina said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way Bev but do you think the salesman thinks your a time waster ? 

1 hour ago, Countryside said:

Please don’t take this the wrong way Bev but do you think the salesman thinks your a time waster ? 

Hi Michael. Don’t worry I didn’t take it the wrong way.  No not at all.  The sales manager knows me pretty well and also knows that I’m a serious buyer when I walk into the sales room rather than the service department 

I really wanted to fall in love with the Yaris/Cross and treat myself to a brand new car but that’s not to be unfortunately 

I drove the Yaris & Cross only for a short time as I just knew very soon that they didn’t suit me 

I think the sales manager knew they wouldn’t be to my liking which is why he just wanted me to jump in both to rule them in or out 

The next Toyota that interested me was the C-HR and that impressed me 

It is only that I ran out of time on the day that I had to leave.  I have re-booked a visit for Friday where I will look further into the CH-R

I think that if I’m spending £25k ‘ish the sales department is going to be accommodating and not rush me into buying the first car I drive.  In my previous experience with this dealer that’s absolutely not how they do business and if it was then I probably wouldn’t be going back there 

Hope that answers your question 

• Like 2

Bev I loved my old Chr design 1.8 hybrid had 18 inch wheels superb ride quietness very economical did 24000 miles no Battery problems at all once stood 3 weeks while in hospital . I love my new Chr even more now just a month old so economical and very quiet indeed 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Countryside said:

Bev I loved my old Chr design 1.8 hybrid had 18 inch wheels superb ride quietness very economical did 24000 miles no battery problems at all once stood 3 weeks while in hospital . I love my new Chr even more now just a month old so economical and very quiet indeed 

I had the test drive in a GR Sport 2.0l and even with 19” wheels and suspension tweaks it was still comfortable.  However I’d probably go with Excel trim 1.8 with the 18” wheels as I do like a comfortable car 

• Like 3

What about Corolla? 
For me this is one of the best choices. If there are Corolla’s on the market all other makes and models can disappear and I am not gonna missed any.
You can try one while trying the chr just to have a base to compare. 
I did tested Corolla excel few months ago when visiting to enquire above new hybrid Battery, told the sales man as he offered me test drive that I will drive it but I will not buy it and he still insists to try it.
Well, very nice car but way too expensive for my use. £25k cash or £29k with finance on a 3 years old car. 

2021 corolla excel 2.0

Go older and cheaper with your mileage: 69 plate

I would choose the chr over the corolla because it has more boot space and higher position. 

On 5/24/2024 at 9:05 AM, hind said:

Not sure how it looks in UK specs but ours have space saver in 3 lowest configs and puncture kit in 3 highest configs, including Premiere and GR Sport. 

In other words, if you start your car with a key, you get the extra wheel 😉

In Italy on all specs have always been sold with puncture kit since MY20 ( both HB and Cross ).  The funny thing is that spare wheel is not offered as an optional/pack ( except for the 130HP  Lounge ).

Italian Lounge is quite equivalent to UK Excel but has 130Hp engine.  

On Lounge you can order a special "Fresh licenced driver" pack that adds spare wheel to make car heavier and reach the correct ICE power / weight ratio to allow fresh licenced drivers to drive the car.

In Italy there strong restrictions on cars that can be driven from a fresh licenced driver ( that is who have got licence from less than 1 year ).   There's a limit on the ICE power / weight ratio.  So it's funny that you can drive a powerful EV Tesla and not a standard Yaris.   Probably soon the ratio will be a bit relaxed but the restriction time wil rise to 3 years.

Moreover is funny that the pack is offered on the 130Hp Lounge version and not on the lower spec 115Hp Trend ( quite like Design ).

• Like 2

Watched a utube review of the Lexus LBX which is based on the Yaris Cross but 136bhp and appears to much better finished inside and out. 

Starting price is about £30k so it will be interesting to keep an eye on the second values in a year or two. 

Not sure how the servicing costs will compare with the YC.

As you are most probably aware lexus is the premium Toyota. Servicing usually cost a little more, it also has the same size 12v Battery that you love in your current car. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

As you most probably aware lexus is the premium Toyota. Servicing usually cost a little more than Toyota, it also has the same size 12v battery that you love in your current car. 

Seemed plush and quieter in the review so might be of interest to me as a nearly new purchase..........and it would fit in my garage. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

it also has the same size 12v battery

But isn't LBX made in Japan, meaning that it is fitted with premium Battery as well? 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hind said:

But isn't LBX made in Japan, meaning that it is fitted with premium battery as well? 🙂 

It’s got a Yuasa Battery of exactly the same capacity so I would say it’s premium over a Mutlu.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Chas G said:

Watched a utube review of the Lexus LBX which is based on the Yaris Cross but 136bhp and appears to much better finished inside and out. 

Starting price is about £30k so it will be interesting to keep an eye on the second values in a year or two. 

Not sure how the servicing costs will compare with the YC.

We looked at the LBX before ordering our Yaris Cross Premiere and I definitely preferred the LBX interior (and exterior). The equivalent LBX was c£2.5k more and the PCP finance had a higher APR%, but what clinched it for us was the Cross felt as if there more legroom, although in theory that's not true. I'm 6'1" and can (just about) sit behind myself in the Cross, which I couldn't in the LBX. My wife also felt very cramped in the front of the LBX with the sales guy sitting behind her on our test drive. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links