Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Confusion

AnthonyMarrian

9 minutes ago, SDR said:

You may just be a genius if you have found a way of sorting this!   I would happily leave the RSA alone if I could have just visual warnings.

It's now a while since I did all the initial setting up on my car and I don't remember this screen.   That may be my memory or because the layout is different on a Corolla - but there must be something similar.   I will have a look when I next use the car.

A couple of questions, though.   You have 'system beeps' set to 'off'.   Could it be that, rather than the 'speed sensitive volume' set to 'low', that is muting the beeps?

And do your settings stop all beeps including, for example, from the parking sensors?

@SDR

Not sure how I got to this setting, but I'll check it next time.

The speed "sensitive volume" is definitely the one that makes the beeps barely noticeable (this is with radio on, not in complete silence, haven't tested this yet) if you over the speed limit by 1MPH.
I haven't changed the "System Beeps" but I'll check what happens next time I drive if I set it to low.

No, my parking sensors are beeping, but again, it's not too loud at all and it doesn't bother me as much as the 1mph over the speed limit beeps did😂.

7 minutes ago, coreye9090 said:

@SDRThe speed "sensitive volume" is definitely the one that makes the beeps barely noticeable (this is with radio on, not in complete silence, haven't tested this yet) if you over the speed limit by 1MPH.
I haven't changed the "System Beeps" but I'll check what happens next time I drive if I set it to low.

No, my parking sensors are beeping, but again, it's not too loud at all and it doesn't bother me as much as the 1mph over the speed limit beeps did😂.

Thanks for your reply.   I probably won't be using the car until Sunday but I will see what happens.

9 minutes ago, coreye9090 said:

The speed "sensitive volume" is definitely the one that makes the beeps barely noticeable

Speed Sensitive Volume means as your speed increases the volume of your media (IE radio or bluetooth music etc) increases, and as your speed decreases the media volume decreases.

It seems that you're simply drowning out the beeps with whatever you're listening to on the stereo. 😉

Disabling system beeps is what stops earlier models from alerting about speed cameras.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

Speed Sensitive Volume means as your speed increases the volume of your media (IE radio or Bluetooth music etc) increases, and as your speed decreases the media volume decreases.

It seems that you're simply drowning out the beeps with whatever you're listening to on the stereo. 😉

Not really as I don't have it on loud at all😂 I use the radio as a background noise.

2 hours ago, coreye9090 said:

Not really as I don't have it on loud at all😂 I use the radio as a background noise.

Possibly placebo effect then, or you're just getting so used to the beeps you're filtering them out.

Although I won't be using the car until Sunday, I have taken a look at the equivalent screen in my Corolla.   I've changed the speed sensitive volume from medium to low and I'll see if it makes any difference.   

I can't find any option to adjust system beeps though;   if it exists somewhere it is well hidden.    I could turn off the speed camera warning beeps (on the Nav setup screen) if I chose to;   but I can't find any way of turning off beeps generally. 

System beeps set to low made no difference🤨

38 minutes ago, SDR said:

I've changed the speed sensitive volume from medium to low and I'll see if it makes any difference

Where are you coming across that volume setting? I have only been able to find on/off options for speed limit warnings. 

24 minutes ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

Where are you coming across that volume setting?

It's under sound and media settings, hence why it's totally unconnected to the beep you hear for over speed warnings.

Speed Sensitive Volume alerts the volume of your media (ie radio etc) as your speed changes.

It might help mask the beep if your music is loud enough. 😉

29 minutes ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

Where are you coming across that volume setting? I have only been able to find on/off options for speed limit warnings. 

On the central screen, not in the settings menu on the meter screen in front of you. 

On the central screen, go into settings and then sounds (I think), or similar.   It's really to do with the audio setup rather than anything to do with speed warning beeps.

TBH, I'm not confident as to the likely effect if the radio is off, but it will be easy to try and I live in hope!

TVM

4 hours ago, AnthonyMarrian said:

Home button-> cogwheel->sound (on my yaris)

Speed Sensitive Volume increases the volume of the radio as the car goes faster to compensate for the increasing road noise. If it is set to Low the radio volume will increase by a small amount.  If it is set to High it will increase the volume by a greater amount. I always set mine to high and as it is speed related I am not aware of the increased volume but I assume it does work. 

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

Speed Sensitive Volume increases the volume of the radio

Seems they've renamed it to Automatic sound leveliser in the later models.

Picsart_24-05-18_13-31-52-666.thumb.jpg.ca55e11b2491faf6a5415d33a92bd817.jpg

Perhaps they're aware of the confusion the previous name caused.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

Seems they've renamed it to Automatic sound leveliser in the later models.

Picsart_24-05-18_13-31-52-666.thumb.jpg.ca55e11b2491faf6a5415d33a92bd817.jpg

Perhaps they're aware of the confusion the previous name caused.

Yes, that is what I have changed to'low'.

1 hour ago, SDR said:

Yes, that is what I have changed to'low'.

Probably even less likely to help with the beeps then! 😂🤣

• Haha 1

Just an FYI: this audio alarm when over the speed limit applies to all manufacturers from July 1st this year. It’s meant to be on each time you start the car. Nothing can be done as far as I’m aware. Some are doing it already, a bit of research is required.

51 minutes ago, Neptuneblue said:

Just an FYI: this audio alarm when over the speed limit applies to all manufacturers from July 1st this year. It’s meant to be on each time you start the car. Nothing can be done as far as I’m aware. Some are doing it already, a bit of research is required.

There seems to be a few manufacturers that are actively making it easier to disable by providing switchable driving profiles though. They know the technology doesn't fully work so are making it easy to disable while still complying with the new law.

I think I'd heard maybe even budget brand Dacia have made it easy to disengage by a button on the dash too.

The technology isn't there yet to provide a reliable speed limit warning or 100% accurate speedometer - the two combined are making the situation worse unless people drive around under the actual speed limit holding up traffic, and even then they will still receive false warnings when it thinks the limit is lower than it actually is.

On the motorway my car reads 4mph under the actual speed at 70mph, so your maximum speed without beeps would be 66mph not 70mph. I know someone with a 22 year old Land Rover that is 100% accurate on the speedometer, so would be holding them up.

Plus the fact when I come out of the services it thinks I should rejoin the motorway at 20mph because it doesn't know the limit.

• Like 2

I had a go on a 2024 car and I agree, the speed limit beeping is very very annoying. It seems MY2023 will be the best year for the used car market. They might even hold slightly higher value compared to my2024 cars

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

For me is Corolla excel 1.8 from 2019 . The best last Toyota hybrid before the annoying safety futures and big TV screens inside. 👍

• Like 1

Yeah. My '19 still only has 35k miles on it so I'm thinking I'll hang on to it for as long as petrol is still available at the pumps.

• Like 1

Exactly the same, the 2019 cars may miss out on some tech but the later ones seem to have stuff that take the enjoyment away.

• Like 2

I have also taken delivery of a MY24 Corolla TS Excel and had the same annoying blue screen each time I switched on. Thanks to this thread, it seems to have been solved by deleting the linked key and, whilst the second key was switched off, re-linking the original. It now only remains to get the tow-bar sorted so that the rear parking sensors are automatically turned off when my trailer is hitched and the kick sensor for the tailgate is modified to work as it should. I ordered a factory-fit tow-bar but Burnaston were waiting for a new version of the unit and I could not wait any longer for delivery so agreed to a dealer fit which was a Witter unit that obscured the kick sensor and caused to car to brake when reversed. Whilst the braking can be turned off, the fitting is not properly functional as it should be.

On the issue of the beeps and RSA, It is clearly annoying to owners though I am getting used to it and don't bother switching it off each time I drive. It should, however, be able to be optional until road signing and the accuracy of the speedometer (and the cruise control) are improved. The misreading of speed limits is not just annoying, it is potentially dangerous.

I am currently in France where, in urban areas there is constant switching from 50kph to 30kph and the RSA continually misses the changes. For the last 2km to my village, the system 'thinks' the limit is 30kph when, in fact, it is 80kph!

I really love this car though, despite these niggles.

If all manufacturers had tried to mimic Tesla, they will become more or less Teslas soon or late. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links