Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Messages reading out volume

Neptuneblue

I’ve cancelled my new Yaris premier order due to the isa audio alarm (couldn’t live with it) and bought a 73 Corolla 2.0 excel instead on which I can disable the audio alarm permanently.👍

Anyway, on the drive home I was getting WhatsApp messages and the music volume would not silence or reduce enough to allow me to hear the messages through the car Speakers
Does anyone know how to get the music volume to stop/ reduce volume to allow the messages to be heard? My last Kia car did it no bother, but I’m probably being a bit thick and can’t figure it out! 

And yes, I’ve checked the manual and can’t see solutions before someone says that 😉

Sadly, I think the volume issue is standard - I have the same problem and have seen others complain about it too.

I press the steering wheel button for Siri but while the music volume reduces a bit on the drivers speaker the others are still normal volume so it can be hard to be heard.

Hopefully something that can be fixed with an over the air software update when they start issuing these.

You may be able to get the message volume to increase by using the volume control while it's speaking, it works when Siri is speaking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportse said:

Sadly, I think the volume issue is standard - I have the same problem and have seen others complain about it too.

I press the steering wheel button for Siri but while the music volume reduces a bit on the drivers speaker the others are still normal volume so it can be hard to be heard.

Hopefully something that can be fixed with an over the air software update when they start issuing these.

You may be able to get the message volume to increase by using the volume control while it's speaking, it works when Siri is speaking.

I have said this before. The app volume is set by the phone app not the headunit. Look at whatsapp volume. 

8 hours ago, Paul john said:

I have said this before. The app volume is set by the phone app not the headunit. Look at whatsapp volume. 

Not on my phone unfortunately, CarPlay takes over and no matter what you do with the phone volume it makes no difference to anything you get through CarPlay. 

setting the phone volume to maximum or to off before connecting makes no difference. 

the only thing that did make a difference was turning off the volume limiter on the phone. (The one that’s supposed to stop you damaging your hearing if you have headphones on.)

I was fairly sure this is determined by "Navigation Volume" under Settings -> Sound & Media

At least that's how it works on mine, I have no issue hearing messages when they're read out and I do listen to music fairly loud.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

I was fairly sure this is determined by "Navigation Volume" under Settings -> Sound & Media

At least that's how it works on mine, I have no issue hearing messages when they're read out and I do listen to music fairly loud.

Cheers, yes under “sound&media” setting “system sound” to max enables the message to be heard at same level as music.
Weird they don’t lower/ pause the music while message is playing but not the end of the world.

Thanks for all replies 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links