Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car seems to be sliding

mara20

When I'm going round corners or round abouts the car seems to be slipping the tyres and air pressure have been checked and are fine but the car continues to slip

Hi, 

that’s interesting.
Does the car indeed slip when cornering or it’s just giving you these feelings?  
What is the tyres condition , how the pressure been checked and what is the general health of your car, mileage? Also where do you drive, dirt and sand , rough asphalt or nice and smooth road surfaces? There are many questions to be answered before we can suggest you something. 
Generally speaking the main reason for these will be worn out tyres, low or too high pressure, suspension problems, excessive speed, lose stones and sand on the road. 

• Like 4

Check the tyre tread depth. The legal minimum is 1.6mm. If you don't have a tyre tread gauge, try the following:

Tread Wear Indicators

Some tyre manufacturers have incorporated handy Tread Wear Indicators (TWIs) within their products. These markers are always visible but set below the level of the original 8 mm of tyre tread. Over time, as your tyre incurs natural wear and tear, the tread depth will reduce to the point where it’s level with the TWI. At this point, it’s an easy indication that the tyre should now be changed.

How to do the 20p test
Use the very simple steps below to check your tyres:

Simply place the coin in the main tread channels of your tyres multiple times, at various points around the tyre.
If you can see any part of the outer band of the coin face, it means the tyre tread is too shallow – and probably illegal. If this is the case, it’s not only time to stop everything and replace your tyres, but it’s also vital that you do so as soon as possible.

20p test diagram

image.thumb.png.58c9b84fdfa0eeadf0c0ae81d13d0fe9.png"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

that’s interesting.
Does the car indeed slip when cornering or it’s just giving you these feelings?  
What is the tyres condition , how the pressure been checked and what is the general health of your car, mileage? Also where do you drive, dirt and sand , rough asphalt or nice and smooth road surfaces? There are many questions to be answered before we can suggest you something. 
Generally speaking the main reason for these will be worn out tyres, low or too high pressure, suspension problems, excessive speed, lose stones and sand on the road. 

It is sliding as need to adjust the steering wheel when it happens its new tyres and the pressure has all been done as wanted to check this wasn't the issue. The car is in great condition it's a 2016 car and only done 29500 miles. It's just drove on local roads and as I have noticed its become an issue I ensure I really slow down when turning 

• Like 1

Ok, if all been checked and ticks all the boxes then it is likely to be the car and it’s capability. Small car with tiny tyres won’t handle as well as slightly bigger one with larger wheels tyres. Something to take into account and don’t push it too fast into corners. But if you really thing something it’s not right best to visit a dealer to test drive similar car and compare both cars. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

It might just be the poor quality of the roads - There's a lot more spoil on the roads I regularly traverse due to all the pot holes.

If you also had new tyres recently, it may also be the tracking wasn't done properly - I've been having a lot of inexplicable issues with tyre fitters in the past few years where despite having a fancy laser alignment system, they somehow smeg it up, presumably by not putting the markers on the wheels properly or not straightening the steering wheel before doing the alignment, and also having no common sense (You'd think if both wheels are out by the same amount in the same direction that would be a *massive hint* that the steering wheel isn't straight, but no they 'correct' it and are surprised when you return because you're turning the wheel right to go straight :rolleyes1:)

• Like 2

What are the make and type of the new tyres you have had fitted, I ask because I had new Continental eco tyres fitted once and the car was like I was driving on ice under certain conditions, after about 1000 miles, the grip was back to like regular tyres again. 

• Like 2

what is the make, model and date on the side of the tyre ?

when you say new tyres - as in brand new just fitted? if it is on its originals they may have just gone hard with age - the compound after 4-5 years starts to degrade

if the car is driven 20-30 mph only locally, the tyres have never got hot and may have squared off, a motorway run and get some heat in them tyres it will also do the car some good to get it hot and the fluids flowing

• Like 2

IMHO, assuming wheel alignment and tyre pressures are good. Either poor quality tyres or weak shock absorbers

What tyres do you have ?

Does car drive straight ? not pulling left or right

Does this sliding feel like understeer or oversteer ?

• Like 1

Have you had the wheel alignment checked. That's probably where I'd go first. I remember buying a Hillman Imp from someone who said they'd changed the track rod ends. They had but hadn't done the alignment. When driving on a wet road with a camber you could really feel the downhill wheel skidding.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 4:37 PM, flash22 said:

what is the make, model and date on the side of the tyre ?

when you say new tyres - as in brand new just fitted? if it is on its originals they may have just gone hard with age - the compound after 4-5 years starts to degrade

if the car is driven 20-30 mph only locally, the tyres have never got hot and may have squared off, a motorway run and get some heat in them tyres it will also do the car some good to get it hot and the fluids flowing

Getting them too hot can also make them slippy though :naughty: :whistling1: :laugh: 

On 5/19/2024 at 3:03 PM, TonyHSD said:

Yes, it might come from this if the suspension is too rigid, for example.

I have owned several generations of Aygo and several times, the suspensions were replaced very early, under warranty, because they leaked.

• Like 1

Tyres will likely be the issue.

Friend of mine used Michelin Energy saver plus (wet grip B) on his Hyundai i10, then replaced it with Toyo Nano Energy 3 (wet grip C).  He then told me how the car slides when he goes round the roundabout.

Also, pay attention to:

1. The tyre tread depth.  Once the tread falls below 3mm, you will start to feel the difference.

2. The tyre's age.  At the tyre side wall, there are usually 4 digits.  Say 4919.  The first 2 digit says which week of the year was the tyre produced, then last 2 digit says which year.  So in this example, 4919 means the 49th week at year 2019.  Rubber tends to harden with age thereby reducing it's grip (although not as significantly as losing tread).  

3. Temperature.  For Summer tyres, they are generally rated for temperatures above 7 degree Celsius.  Below 7 will cause the rubber to harden thereby reducing the grip.  All season are good between -10 to +35 ish.  Winter tyres are only good in winter, as they wear too fast in summer and may not grip as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links