Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loud beeping while driving

bleepingcar

Posted (edited)

Hello all, after some help here with my elderly mother's car. As she's accelerating, or braking, or less frequently sometimes just while maintaining a constant speed... a loud beep sequence will start without any visual notification of what the issue is.

From listening to it going off all the time on a short trip just now, it sounds like it's trying to complete the following sequence: 1 long beep, 1 short beep, 2 short beeps, 3 short beeps, 4 short beeps, and then sometimes 6 short beeps. But sometimes it will either switch off at some point along, or reset itself to the beginning of the sequence again after a few beeps along.

There's nothing indicating the seat belt sensors are going off (she previously had issues with heavy bags etc on the back seat, fooling the sensor into thinking someone was sitting there without a belt on.

The pitch is also completely different (lower) from the higher and quieter parking sensor beeps.

I'm a bit stuck for ideas, and apparently so are the people at the Toyota approved mechanic she visits: "the man just shrugged his shoulders".

I recorded a clip of it going off, but really, bit ridiculous of Toyota if you ask me, to fill the car with screens and dials but have an audible beep going off without any visual feedback to accompany it!

Any help with tracking down this annoying bug would be amazing.

Edited by bleepingcar
more beeps than I can count
  • Like 1

There are no rear seat presence sensors. Only rear seat belt switches.

Do you have front parking sensors fitted? Is there a front sensor disable switch. Was this an optional extra fitted by dealer, or standard on model?

Is it keyless start?

Ahh right, I was confusing where she was putting the bags then I guess.

There are front parking sensors but the sound is completely different. I will look for a disable switch and test it next time anyway. It was an optional extra fitted by the dealer when she bought it.

It is keyless start.

So the optional extra is not integrated with the dash. Its a simple switched 12v supply going to a switch on the rhs of the dash (near mirrors). This feeds a black box with a piezo speaker and input sensors.However you need to depress thr switch every time you start the car to enable disable it

Those are beeps are likely fault codes for a specific sensor.

Either disconnect the black box under the lhs glove box. Attached instructions so you know what's what.

Auris Parking Sensors front RHD.pdf

Thanks for that! I'll have a look tomorrow then and hopefully can figure it out.

So... had a look for that and yep the button is a weird one on the side there.

It doesn't matter if the car starts with it pushed in or left out, the light will come on and it will start beeping away. Pressing it once will shut it off but it comes back on while driving. I found another thread here with someone having the same issue but I thought at the time it wasn't related.

Guess there's a dodgy sensor then, at least she can give the mechanic some pointers next time!

• Like 1

Its a sad state of affairs, when the customer has to tell the dealer what the cause of the issue is.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links