Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.0 Spark Plugs

LondonIQ

Hi All, new owner of a 2011 1.0 auto. Some questions on spark plugs as I’m seeing more than one listed as suitable

The previous owner had changed them. I checked today are they are Denso IKH20TT. On parts site I’ve seen SK16HR11 mentioned and SC16HR11  I noticed that ILH20TT is listed as suitable from 11/2013  I thought these engines stayed the same during the production run.

The car has a bit of a shake at warm idle that I’m trying to troubleshoot. 

What plugs other 1.0 owners using?

Thanks a lot. Already loving that I only need half a parking space. IMG_9098.thumb.jpeg.ec39585932cf601d61eef5d36becea7c.jpeg

• Like 1

IXEH20TT and SC16HR11 are for construction year Nov' 2013 onwards.

So, that leaves IKH16TT (Iridium TT) and SK16HR11 (Iridium) to choose from.

Denso IQ Spark Plug

If you prefer fitting NGK instead, you'll need ILFR5T11.

NGK IQ Spark Plug

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the info. Looks like they installed the wrong ones then. I’ll order some IKH16TT’s and swap them out

At my last service mine got NGK plugs.. runs fine on it i think.

But my mate at Toyota will service it once and swap them for original ones.. will it make difference? We will see..

8 hours ago, LondonIQ said:

Thanks a lot for the info. Looks like they installed the wrong ones then. I’ll order some IKH16TT’s and swap them out

Swapped my plugs for IKH16TT’s. A bit early to be sure but seems a lot better with the vibration at idle. It’s likely a combo of the correct plugs and a thorough clean of the throttle body, PCV valve and MAP sensor. 

Once I get my OBD port working (different thread) I can look at the numbers 

• Like 3

As a matter of interest, a question for 1.0 auto owners...how much shake/vibration is "normal"? I noticed it more at warm idle before the spark plug change. Defintiely better than it was now

This is mine after a good run, very warm idle. Would appreciate some comparison with other 1.0 autos 

It might be the engine mounts that need changing. I don't know if they are considered a weak point on the IQ.

• Like 2

only use Denso plugs on the 1kr* - 20 heat rating is too cold for an early 1kr, use the correct 16 rated plugs - SC16HR11

do not buy plugs online there are way too many fakes

* non Denso plugs do not last well and can burn ignition coils out over time

the 1kr's do vibrate a bit as it 3 cylinder but that does seem a little excessive to me, a new lower dog bone may help - 12363-40050

the car looks like it lived by the sea

• Like 2

On 6/8/2024 at 9:21 PM, LondonIQ said:

This is mine after a good run, very warm idle. Would appreciate some comparison with other 1.0 autos 

IMG_9202.mov 14.55 MB · 0 downloads  

Mine shakes similarly to this at tick over. It is a manual, but a 1KR-FE none-the-less. 

The wobbliest engine mount is the one on the left of the engine bay, as I found when changing my clutch. 

May be worth checking all your engine mount bolts for tightness, but this doesn't appear dramatically different to either of my manual IQ's. 

RE spark plugs - I always stick with OEM after making a Bosch mistake on the wife's car. It hasn't run the same since... 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

only use Denso plugs on the 1kr* - 20 heat rating is too cold for an early 1kr, use the correct 16 rated plugs - SC16HR11

do not buy plugs online there are way too many fakes

* non Denso plugs do not last well and can burn ignition coils out over time

the 1kr's do vibrate a bit as it 3 cylinder but that does seem a little excessive to me, a new lower dog bone may help - 12363-40050

the car looks like it lived by the sea

Thanks for the info. I changed to the Denso IKH16TT

Planning to do the transmission fluid next as that hasn’t been changed as far as I can tell. 

Is that dog bone part of one of the top mounts or under the engine? Can’t say I’ve noticed it. 

From the history the car has lived in the south but not the coast. Thankfully is very clean and solid underneath. Also noticed a lot of IQs have damaged sills from poor jacking. Luckily all ok on this one

Transmission fluid is next on the list as I’m not sure it’s ever been changed

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I had a manual Aygo with the same engine and yes it had a level of vibration.

Will be doing a transmission fluid change. The drive itself is great

Do you mean the mount on the left as you’re standing in front of the engine?

Who can remember the days when you could get 4 spark plugs for £1     ?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LondonIQ said:

Thanks for the info. I changed to the Denso IKH16TT

Planning to do the transmission fluid next as that hasn’t been changed as far as I can tell. 

Is that dog bone part of one of the top mounts or under the engine? Can’t say I’ve noticed it. 

From the history the car has lived in the south but not the coast. Thankfully is very clean and solid underneath. Also noticed a lot of IQs have damaged sills from poor jacking. Luckily all ok on this one

Transmission fluid is next on the list as I’m not sure it’s ever been changed

Dog bone is underneath, in the middle of the car. 2 bolts - 1 sideways through gearbox mount, and one vertical into the subframe. Easy enough to get to and check. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonIQ said:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I had a manual Aygo with the same engine and yes it had a level of vibration.

Will be doing a transmission fluid change. The drive itself is great

Do you mean the mount on the left as you’re standing in front of the engine?

Yes, as you look in the engine bay 🙂 the right side mount is hardly butch, but the left one flexed loads as I lowered the engine in the car to remove the 'box. 

• Like 1

:withstupid:

it's the lower one under the car it reduces vibration and stops the engine from rotating/twisting

having a listen to it a few times over i may be a slightly iffy injector a drop of injector cleaner in the tank wouldn't hurt

• Like 1

Good old Redex?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

A single pound?? How long ago was this? Did you get your change in groats, ha'pennies, shillings and pieces of eight?? :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

I can.😞

• Haha 1

May or may not be related but I noticed quite a hiss when opening the petrol cap. Was half a tank still In there

May or may not be related but I noticed quite a hiss when opening the petrol cap. Was half a tank still In there

the tank builds pressure or vacuum any vapours are fed back to the engine, yes its completely normal

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LondonIQ said:

Good old Redex?

There are many brands on the market for all budgets, wynns seems well rated (purple bottle, green top) then you have the higher end like 44K

to full system cleaners like terraclean (drive in, drive out service)

• Like 2

Thanks. It just made me think of this vid  not quite the same symptoms  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

There are many brands on the market for all budgets, wynns seems well rated (purple bottle, green top) then you have the higher end like 44K

to full system cleaners like terraclean (drive in, drive out service)

Given it a drink of the purple Wynns 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links