Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New owner, what accessories would you recommend?

S0G17

Recently purchased a 2020 Icon Tech Corolla Hatchback, reading some of the posts on the forum I've gathered the following list of stuff to buy that would improve usage:

1. Dashcam front only - any recommendations? The one fit by the dealer is pretty old and very expensive. I could go Halfords and get a much better version for half the price.

2. Official ashtray (😂) bought from dealer I think it's £20 - I'm not a smoker but would be nice to have a small compartment for coins or rubbish that's easily disposed of. Apparently it's got a light?

3. Solar charger for 12v Battery - looking at the updated AA one on Amazon for £40.

4. Random category: Mudflaps? Wind deflectors? Anything else?

For value and quality I recommend a Viofo for dash cams, they are super capacitors so won't die after 18 months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

For value and quality I recommend a Viofo for dash cams, they are super capacitors so won't die after 18 months. 

Where would you get it installed?

I installed it myself for front and back. Check online or marketplace for local service, it doesn't take an expert to install dash cams. 

• Like 1

Would you recommend the Viofo A119 V3 2K Dashcam? What fuse taps did you use for hardwire, there's several choices when purchasing on their website.

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

I have the dealer fit Toyota dash cam, it's good enough quality wise plus comes with a warranty and without a screen is reliable. It also comes with a replaceable parking alert Battery too. When you look at the official Toyota instructions for fitting their own dash cam, you see it involves a lot of dismantling of the dash rather than just run a wire from the fusebox and tuck it into the trim.

Mud flaps aren't that much use, I have them and still get lots of spray when it's raining. They aren't that low, but lower ones would affect the ground clearance.

The boot tray is good, fairly flexible and sticky to stop things rolling around the boot.

That is what I have for one of them, have not put into laptop to view the footage yet, too lazy. Sometimes they have a sale on and can use discount code DCH5OFF for 5% off. 

My Yaris is on micro fuse blade, I assume it's probably the same for the corolla. For the hardwire kit, it's still the old micro usb power on this 119 V3. Buy from Ali express etc it's much cheaper like £2. You can just plug via 12v cigarette if hardwired is too much work. 

• Like 1

For a Viofo front cam, the A119v3 is one of their older ones but still very popular and is the one that really put their name on the map, as even now it's still one of the best front-facing dashcams on the market.

If you do a lot of low-light/night driving, the A119 mini 2 is basically an A119v3 with a Sony Starvis2 sensor, which is the current gold standard for low-light sensors.

The A119v3 has the older Starvis1, which doesn't perform quite as well in low-light but otherwise is still an excellent sensor that gives very good image quality.

Note that they are 2K cameras, but you can get 4K ones now, but unless you don't drive much or don't mind buying a very large microSD card, the 2K ones should suffice as the 4K ones generate significantly larger video files.

I've used both and they've been completely reliable; I had dabbled with an A229 Pro Duo which is a front and rear Dashcam, but it would lock up on hot days or strong direct sunlight which, for the cost, was unacceptable, but Viofo displayed some very good customer support and, after failing to find a fix, acquiesced to my request to return it for an A119v3 when the eBay seller stopped talking to me (They actually sent me two of them to make up the value!)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sportse said:

I have the dealer fit Toyota dash cam, it's good enough quality wise plus comes with a warranty and without a screen is reliable. It also comes with a replaceable parking alert battery too. When you look at the official Toyota instructions for fitting their own dash cam, you see it involves a lot of dismantling of the dash rather than just run a wire from the fusebox and tuck it into the trim.

Mud flaps aren't that much use, I have them and still get lots of spray when it's raining. They aren't that low, but lower ones would affect the ground clearance.

The boot tray is good, fairly flexible and sticky to stop things rolling around the boot.

I still think the dealer dash cam is way too much, I'd rather get a better performing one and have it professionally installed for half the price. Did you purchase the boot tray from the Toyota dealership?

Thanks Cyker, I think I'll go with the A119 Mini 2. Probably disable parking mode as that seems to cause more issues than it solves - poor installation can cause Battery going flat and I live in a pretty residential area so it would fill up the SD card up quick too.

• Like 1

If I buy myself icon spec Corolla I will install automatic dim rear view mirror and tailor made privacy blinds on rear windows. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S0G17 said:

I still think the dealer dash cam is way too much, I'd rather get a better performing one and have it professionally installed for half the price. Did you purchase the boot tray from the Toyota dealership?

The boot tray was 'free' with the car as it was a pre-reg with the pack installed of boot tray, mud guards and rear bumper guard.

My car also had the chrome door sills fitted too, maybe a cancelled order where someone had specified both these accessories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If I buy myself icon spec Corolla I will install automatic dim rear view mirror and tailor made privacy blinds on rear windows. 

The automatic dim rear mirror isn't needed if you have the carshades rear shade fitted - I have just the rear screen privacy blinds fitted and even in winter with SUVs behind you with LED lights there's no need to dim the rear mirror.

I didn't fit the rear side window shades as with the angle (and also particularly if the sun shines on them) it's difficult to see out when trying to check your blind spot over your shoulder.

IMG_2310.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sportse said:

rear screen privacy blinds fitted

Where did you get that fitted? Do Toyota themselves offer this?

The parking mode will only be available if you get the 3-wire power adaptor and wire it up properly; I'm using a 2-wire one which only powers the camera when the car is fully on, as I also had concerns about it draining the 12v Battery otherwise (Which was especially prophetic given the massive thread on issues with the new Yaris' 12v Battery :laugh: )

• Like 1

I would install a rear cam over front cam if I was doing just one.

You are more likely to want to evidence of the car running in to you rather than the front cam showing your bad driving 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S0G17 said:

Where did you get that fitted? Do Toyota themselves offer this?

It's from these people - I've had them on several other cars before:

https://www.carshades.co.uk

They come in a big box and you fit them yourselves - it's really easy, the shades are cut to fit the shape of the window exactly and you just attach some clips to connect to the trim and pop them in.

There is a set of instructions to follow, which are easy as there are images for each step.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 4:16 PM, sportse said:

I agree - that were part of the protection pack I had on mine. The front ones sometimes get caught on the vicious speed bumps at our local tip - making a right old bang as they bottom out. The Corolla ride height is just toooo low (corrected on later models I believe)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportse said:

It's from these people - I've had them on several other cars before:

https://www.carshades.co.uk

They come in a big box and you fit them yourselves - it's really easy, the shades are cut to fit the shape of the window exactly and you just attach some clips to connect to the trim and pop them in.

There is a set of instructions to follow, which are easy as there are images for each step.

Thanks and how's the visibility when you install them? If I got them I'd just want the rear windscreen covered.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I would install a rear cam over front cam if I was doing just one.

You are more likely to want to evidence of the car running in to you rather than the front cam showing your bad driving 😆

Not sure about this, usually if someone hits you from behind they're the ones who need to prove innocence. Rather get front view only as it's easier to setup and maintain.

Visibility is excellent with these blinds. I have the same and they are so good. 👌

• Like 2

13 hours ago, S0G17 said:

Thanks and how's the visibility when you install them? If I got them I'd just want the rear windscreen covered.

It’s good, you can see out fine from the inside with the rear window shade. 

they only sell the full set, so you have to buy the two side ones as well just to get the rears.  But the cost is a lot less than having the windows tinted. 

plus it’s not a modification, as it is a removable sun shade the same as the ones people put on the side windows for children. 

if you have the windows actually tinted then you have to notify your insurers that you’ve modified the car. I did this on a couple before I discovered the fitted window shades. 

I even had a set on my Yaris hybrid as the factory fitted tinted windows weren’t dark enough. 

IMG_2506.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks all.

Last question, which is the better option out of these 2 solar trickle chargers? From what I can gather, the 2nd option is a newer version from AA and is slightly bigger...that's it?

On 5/30/2024 at 6:57 PM, S0G17 said:

Not sure about this, usually if someone hits you from behind they're the ones who need to prove innocence. Rather get front view only as it's easier to setup and maintain.

First point is true but I was T boned once.  This lorry simply did not see me both he and his boss tried to convince me it was my fault.  It helps if you can prove guilt. 

Setting up a rear cam does need a little bit more effort, other than that it is fit and forget.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S0G17 said:

Thanks all.

Last question, which is the better option out of these 2 solar trickle chargers? From what I can gather, the 2nd option is a newer version from AA and is slightly bigger...that's it?

1 is cheaper but does not say what power it can provide 

2 states it is 4.8w

Best you try the cheap one based on the 30 day return policy.

1 minute ago, Roy124 said:

1 is cheaper but does not say what power it can provide 

2 states it is 4.8w

Best you try the cheap one based on the 30 day return policy.

Checking and the specs for first one are:
Peak Power Output: 2.4 watt,
Peak Volts Output: 12.7 volts,
Optimum Working Current: 0.13-0.2 amps.

While the other is just working at double the amps. Would there be a benefit in getting the stronger one is my next question? Since they're both trickle chargers I guess the 2nd might be worth the increased price.

17 minutes ago, S0G17 said:

Checking and the specs for first one are:
Peak Power Output: 2.4 watt,
Peak Volts Output: 12.7 volts,
Optimum Working Current: 0.13-0.2 amps.

While the other is just working at double the amps. Would there be a benefit in getting the stronger one is my next question? Since they're both trickle chargers I guess the 2nd might be worth the increased price.

I am using a total of 3 solar panels 2 are 30 watts one is 20 watts using one 5A MPPT solar controler plus blocking diodes and fuses for each panel then 3 power sockets & a box to fit them into.

Todays solar charging results below so you have options if one panel wont do.

IMG_1012.thumb.PNG.f1db24f7012b232b87830cdfca24314e.PNG

I have not used a mains charger in over 2 month but on some dull days the voltage is 12.9 to 13 volts so Battery is still around 12.48 volts next morning.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links