Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New owner, what accessories would you recommend?

S0G17

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

I am using a total of 3 solar panels 2 are 30 watts one is 20 watts using one 5A MPPT solar controler plus blocking diodes and fuses for each panel then 3 power sockets & a box to fit them into.

Todays solar charging results below so you have options if one panel wont do.

IMG_1012.thumb.PNG.f1db24f7012b232b87830cdfca24314e.PNG

I have not used a mains charger in over 2 month but on some dull days the voltage is 12.9 to 13 volts so battery is still around 12.48 volts next morning.

Why do you need so much wattage? Isn't the point of the solar charger to protect the Battery level, keeping it slightly above or matching the decay rate? Your setup even forces you to use zener diodes to block overcharging. Just trying to understand the reasoning? Wouldn't the 4.8W AA be enough to stop flat batteries which is what I really care about. Ofc it's fully dependent on the amount of sun you get so I understand adding more solar panels but still, shouldn't be necessary.

I guess it’s not quite as simple as only needing to match the rate of drain, as the drain is 24/7, but the charging is only when it’s sunny, which in the middle or winter is not 24/7. 

SOG17 & D.L.

The diods are for blocking so one panel cannot send a charge to another panel thats producing less electric.(say if a cloud passes one panel only whitch is possable as alightment is staggered.)

If the Battery is considered tobe fully charged then the solar charger will stop charging the Battery for a short time duration while the voltage drops.

It will charge on some dull days depending on overall sky brightness but for winter I have to see how it preforms but it will stop I presume at some point then its back to mains charging.

I expect 4.8 watts just to delay the discharge at best.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links