Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying reflection off HUD housing

Corolly Poly

Anyone else seeing this when the sun is in a certain position. It puts a couple of small bright areas in my line of vision on the windscreen.

2 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

Anyone else seeing this when the sun is in a certain position. It puts a couple of small bright areas in my line of vision on the windscreen.

Cant see nothing 

• Like 1

Oh mate you should see mine - My whole windscreen is just reflections!! :wacko: :laugh: 

It's so much worse than the Mk1 and Mk2 I had before because those had relatively short dashboards, and the Mk1's especially curved down, but the Mk4's is a big flat space that just reflects right up into the windscreen, and it isn't helped by the light-coloured interior!

Normally I wouldn't mind as I have polarized sunglasses which are the best way to filter out these reflections, but I found they also filter out the HUD... because it's a reflection... so can't use them any more! :crybaby: 

Its still not as bad as the Citreon C1 I had as a courtesy car once - That had this weird dot pattern on the dash top which reflected onto the windscreen like it was covered in raindrops you couldn't wipe away and made it nearly undriveable in strong sunlight unless you were psychic or a Jedi!

image.thumb.jpeg.31fce7834ad99fe07b6e0dccc44dd449.jpeg

• Haha 2

I thought my HUD was busted recently until I realised it was my sunglasses

• Haha 2

I bought a cover for the top of the dash to reduce reflections. Seems to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 50p said:

I think my reflection is coming from the hard plastic of the HUD aperture

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Corolly Poly said:

I think my reflection is coming from the hard plastic of the HUD aperture

Ah, I don't have HUD .. stops all other reflections though!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 50p said:

I bought one for my Rav4. It works very well.

• Like 1

Matt-black felt or similar material (Preferably with a silvered back to stop it transmitting as much heat to the dash plastic!) can help a lot with reflections, although there's not a lot you can do with the HUD projector as covering it would stop it working :laugh: 

You're kinda stuck with that unless you can cut it to shape around the edges in such a way that it doesn't affect the projection.

The HUD on my Prius sometimes suffers from reflections 

It has never bothered me because once you drive down the road a bit it clears; the sun has to be 100% in the wrong direction to make it reflect badly 

The rest of the time it’s perfect and I wouldn’t be without it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Matt-black felt or similar material (Preferably with a silvered back to stop it transmitting as much heat to the dash plastic!) can help a lot with reflections, although there's not a lot you can do with the HUD projector as covering it would stop it working :laugh: 

You're kinda stuck with that unless you can cut it to shape around the edges in such a way that it doesn't affect the projection.

That's what I'm thinking about doing as it looks like it comes from the edges of the HUD aperture / surround so it should be possible to sort something out but what nutter at Toyota thought it was a good idea to use shiny plastic for the housing!!!

The cover I bought for my Rav4 dashboard has all of the cutouts in the right places.

15 hours ago, Corolly Poly said:

That's what I'm thinking about doing as it looks like it comes from the edges of the HUD aperture / surround so it should be possible to sort something out but what nutter at Toyota thought it was a good idea to use shiny plastic for the housing!!!

It's weird yours is made of shiny plastic; My entire dashboard is made of what I call Standard Toyota Plastic - The hard-wearing matte-patterned stuff that has survived decades of abuse :laugh: 

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It's weird yours is made of shiny plastic; My entire dashboard is made of what I call Standard Toyota Plastic - The hard-wearing matte-patterned stuff that has survived decades of abuse :laugh: 

So is mine bar the HUD insert!! Bonkers.

• Like 1

I really fancied one of those HUDs when I bought mine. Very disappointed when I found out it was only available with the GR trim. Is it the same nowadays?

Current production, MY24, is Excel is the only trim with HUD

On 5/30/2024 at 9:33 PM, Corolly Poly said:

That really is weird seeing as on my Yaris Premiere Edition, the surround is matt and the same colour as the rest of the dash (but not a stipple finish)...

In the shade, the surround is almost invisible...

PXL_20240601_165310793_MP.thumb.jpg.d3feaf2438713abfad6aac0ef92749d0.jpg

Even when the sun is directly on the portal, it is not too bad for reflections...

PXL_20240601_165354415_MP.thumb.jpg.9a52379185ed6c7374bfb2f0e1a524f2.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CPN said:

That really is weird seeing as on my Yaris Premiere Edition, the surround is matt and the same colour as the rest of the dash (but not a stipple finish)...

In the shade, the surround is almost invisible...

PXL_20240601_165310793_MP.thumb.jpg.d3feaf2438713abfad6aac0ef92749d0.jpg

Even when the sun is directly on the portal, it is not too bad for reflections...

PXL_20240601_165354415_MP.thumb.jpg.9a52379185ed6c7374bfb2f0e1a524f2.jpg

it just seems to come off one corner of the surround when the sun is in the right position. It creates a fairly intense blob of light about 1 inch wide and half an inch deep in the middle of the windscreen. Obviously only happens when the sun is bright and in exactly the right position which will depend on time of day and direction of travel. Hopefully they won't coincide to often and I can learn to live with it. If it irritates regularly I will look at solutions.

I have now noticed double vision with the HUD, there being a faint image of the HUD display behind the main reflection - possible off the front of the screen but once noticed it gets to my OCD🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links