Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Replacement

Roy124

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I seem to get that with bikers and especially mopeds - I'll heel way over to the left when the road widens and straightens so they have a good clear view of the road ahead but then they choose to sit in my right-side blind spot right up until it starts to narrow again, or we're coming up on an island, and *then* they'll overtake, forcing me to slow down more so we don't all arrive at said hazard at the same time!

Aye I have noticed that too.

Even the baby bikers and moped riders who do not wear gloves and boots and a proper bike jacket 🧥, just a cheap giant helmit that makes them look like a Mekon.

They have been taught for a long while now, never get in,or sit in the blind spot of another vehicle 🚜.

I used to teach the CBT for these, and used to emphasise the importance of this, and good protective gear.

But as was always thus, some listened, and some just walked off,a bit like my previous posts about when the brains were handed out 

• Haha 1

I remember years ago (early 80s) I had a Renault 12 LHD. I was in a trip to Salisbury from Gloucester and was on an A road which consisted of a half mile straight followed by a series of bends, then a straight etc etc. I was driving at 50 mph which was a speed I was happy to maintain through the bends and didn't feel the need to speed up on the straight just to have to slow down again.

I picked up a tail in the shape of a VW Golf who would race up behind me on the straights then fall way behind on the bends. This went of for at least 10 miles. I found it really odd that a guy in a modern, fairly high performance car couldn't keep up and overtake someone in a fairly old and decrepit 1970s car.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Their in-shop prices have a ridiculous markup, which I found out once when I needed a tyre in an emergency - Would have been £50 but their shop computer showed £78! :eek: 

I obviously had a good guy on the desk.   He knew my Toyota price and Halfords and KF, gave me the price of £139.  Next day it was £157.  I said no.  He then arrived at £137.

So you could be right, except you can't haggle with a computer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

The ones that sit directly behind me are fine,

Once had a motor bike sitting in my 6 slipstreaming.  My tail warning hardly stopped and would increase as he got closer.

In the Corolla she could see out of the rear window and never stopped growling all the while. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Crickleymal said:

I remember years ago (early 80s) I had a Renault 12 LHD. I was in a trip to Salisbury from Gloucester and was on an A road which consisted of a half mile straight followed by a series of bends, then a straight etc etc. I was driving at 50 mph which was a speed I was happy to maintain through the bends and didn't feel the need to speed up on the straight just to have to slow down again.

I picked up a tail in the shape of a VW Golf who would race up behind me on the straights then fall way behind on the bends. This went of for at least 10 miles. I found it really odd that a guy in a modern, fairly high performance car couldn't keep up and overtake someone in a fairly old and decrepit 1970s car.

To be fair they may have been exercising some restraint/caution; I always back off from the car in front before a corner on country roads because you never know what they will do! More than once I've seen someone tailgate through a corner and get caught out when the other car brakes and they end up slamming on their own brakes and understeering into a tree or hedge. (Turns out ABS can only help so much!)

On my fun twisty roads, I find some people will literally slow down to 2nd gear speeds for corners I wouldn't even have slowed down for.

I had that with a convertible Mini yesterday; It was one of those single-speed types (i.e. they just drive at one speed through the entire stretch of road; 50mph zone? 40mph. NSL zone? 40mph. Village 30mph? 40mph. School 20mph zone? 40mph. NSL again? 40mph. etc.), that would slow down a lot more than you'd expect for the corners, which I can understand if they'd never driven on the road before because it's very overgrown at the moment, but my policy of backing off before corners saved me a lot of brake wear there :laugh: 

I didn't even bother trying to overtake them before the villagey bit because I knew they'd just run into me again (I'm a stickler for speed limits in rural areas), but after that I was so glad when there was a clear bit of NSL so I could launch past them... :biggrin: 

I still love how great the Mk4 is at that sort of thing - Just check it's safe and GO and they're a dot in the mirrors!! :biggrin: And I was still in the low 70's mpg when I got back!! :biggrin: :biggrin:  This thing runs on magic I tell you!! :eek: :laugh: 

• Like 1

Yes but restraint meaning losing two or three hundred yards? When I had a Lada Riva I used to keep up with a BMW through the twisties in the Cotswolds 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links