Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Distance gauge problem

Tim G

Hello there,

I have a 2010 Prius, which has a problem with the distance to empty gauge. I recently reset the A and B trip meters to zero and now I am wondering whether this has caused the distance meter to show an incorrect figure.

At the moment, there is over 1/4 of a tank of fuel and the distance to empty is showing only 8 miles. Will this correct itself as I make more and more journeys? Should I remove the Battery and perform a soft reset?

Should I remove the Battery and perform a soft reset?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Many thanks,

Tim

The 'gauge' is just an estimated calculation done based on your fuel consumption since last fill up (might be longer). It is in not particularly accurate and will vary in accuracy over time. 

Drive the car until the low fuel warning comes on. Fill the car up, reset the trip meter and rely on that and your experience to gauge how many miles you have left. 

The trip computer on top of your shoulders is far superior to the one in the car. 

Hi Tim,resetting the trip meters likely didn’t cause the incorrect distance to empty reading. The gauge estimates are based on recent fuel consumption, driving conditions (city versus motorway), and fuel level sensor readings. Resetting the trip meters affects only those counters and shouldn’t affect this calculation.Possible problems that can cause this include a malfunctioning fuel level sensor. The sensor could be faulty. Stop and go traffic or heavy acceleration can also affect the estimate.

You can try a couple of things, drive normally and also drive under mixed conditions to help the system recalibrate. Fill up the petrol tank and see if the distance to empty gauge resets accurately. This checks the fuel level sensor. You can also try a soft reset by disconnecting the 12V Battery for a few minutes to clear any temporary glitches. If the problem continues, ask a mechanic or Toyota dealership.Hope this helps😊

'Resetting the trip' or possibly resetting the average mpg fuel too?

• 1 month later...

I know this is a bit late but I had what seems to be this problem on my Gen 3. I can't remember why I had to do this now but I only put in a small amount of fuel and the range was very low. It seems it doesn't work very well unless you put a reasonable amount of fuel in. In my case I think it was low before adding fuel but it may be the same with more fuel already in the tank. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links