Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre wear and replacement Mk 4

Spiral82

7 hours ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

First thing I'd say like everyone else is to double check the readings to make sure. I would also say the wear is driving style dependent. I would also avoid Continentals, they seem great when new but wear quickly (seen this on 3 different cars over time)

That's interesting - I used to love Continentals as they were really cheap for my old Mk1 Yaris - I paid £35 per tyre for some Premium Contact2Es from what I remember and they were some of the best tyres I ever had; Hard wearing, excellent dry and wet grip, decent rolling resistance.

However, those were quite old and were discontinued by the time I needed new tyres so I tried the at-the-time brand new Premium Contact 5s and they were amazing - Fantastic grip dry or wet, really good fuel economy... but I wore them out in 7000 miles!! :eek: 

Since then the price for Continentals shot up and they priced themselves out of the market (If I wanted to pay that kind of money I'd have gone with Michelins!) and I've been mostly favouring Goodyear/Dunlops and Hankooks since, but it's a bit sad if Continental still haven't sorted their short wear life out!

• Like 2

Haven't bought Dunlops for decades, after I had to throw so many away due to de-laminating, bulging and lumps. Of course they always stated it was my problem and not the tyre's.

I now tend to go for mid-range, but found the Uniroyal Rain-tyres that were on offer and lived up to their repution of having superior wet weather grip, didn't last long. I'll be looking for a couple more before Winter, no doubt.

Dunlops are basically Goodyear nowadays - Most of the tyres have identical tread patterns but with different names. Haven't had an issue with them so far and I work my tyres pretty hard :naughty: :laugh: 

Uniroyal to make really good rain tyres but I had similar findings to you, at least with their 'normal' rain tyres - The fancy patterning that helps with their aquaplaning resistance and wet grip does tend to scrub off fairly quickly under heavy use, esp. in high temperatures and high speed... I'm told the 'sport' tyres hold up better I don't think they did them in the sizes my cars used :laugh: 

18 hours ago, jthspace said:

You can check when your tyres were made by the 4 digit code on the sidewall.  If it's a 3 digit code, change them as soon as possible as they are pre 2000 in manufacture.

image.thumb.png.0b59676230674b3e85775c60debc7f56.png

In the box above, 4718 means it was made in week 47 of 2018

That is one of the reasons why there is such a price difference at different “tyre fitters”

i once refused a set at a “my tyres” fitter location in bromley as when he proudly rolled out the “new” tyres he was fitting to show me they were already 3 years old. 

I've got Continentals on my Mk 4 (original equipment) and in view of the comments about my tread wear (I've got a bit of time yet) they've done pretty well so far for me at 20,000 miles.

They were fitted as original equipment on my car before last - a VW Up! - and I never replaced them and changed the car after about 35,000 miles. They are expensive though as has been said: in my quick trawl round tyre fitters online they're IRO £120-130 supplied and fitted for the 195/55 R16 the Design takes.

Does anyone have an answer to my supplementary question asked: to those who have had replacement tyres fitted to their Mk 4 - what mileage did this occur at?

Thanks!

On 5/31/2024 at 2:27 PM, TonyHSD said:

Agreed with Mooly, do your own checks and compare to the dealer quote for tyre wear. These days dealers and all other business are quieter than ever as current uk economy is in its worst state and everyone is looking for extra business. 
Nexen tyres are really good one, as good as Hankook, Goodyear or Michelin. 
From Toyo, Yokohama, Kumho and Nexen I will pick Nexen, these are also fitted as oem on some car brands including vw.
Price per tyre £85 is good, you can do slightly cheaper at other places, most of which will deal with your tpms valves without problem. 
https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk These guys sells tyres and often run offers on Michelin or Goodyear. 👌🛞

I use ATS Euromaster for fitting even if I buy from black circles.  They take real care of your alloy wheels and they are absolutely forbidden from using an air gun.   

• Like 2

I wouldn’t have a problem with Nexen as a mid range tyre.  They are original equipment on all Kia and Hyundai cars.  This new Kia Soul rental I had in the USA last week had them on.  

IMG_0596.jpeg

• Like 2

The majority of tyres we sell are Nexen, they are our "go to" budget range of tyres 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I use ATS Euromaster for fitting even if I buy from black circles.  They take real care of your alloy wheels and they are absolutely forbidden from using an air gun.   

ATS Euromaster AND Black Circles are owned by......Michelin 

image.png.2842c00b50954fa1ec536e15812fe0ed.png

• Like 2

One comment: do not use tyres until the legal minimum of 1.6mm.

Tests show performance in the wet decreases significantly below 3mm on most tyres (less so on higher end tyres focused on whole life performance, particularly Michelins, but even on those there is still a relevant drop).

So if you drive a lot in the wet, particularly at higher speeds, consider changing at 2,5-3mm, 2mm bare minimum.  

• Like 3

You do tend to notice a loss of wet performance but one interesting thing nobody mentions is you also get a slight improvement in dry performance as the tread wears down.

I might have to try Nexens next, I've heard of them but they've not really come across my radar

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 9:01 AM, anchorman said:

wouldn’t have a problem with Nexen as a mid range tyre.  They are original equipment on all Kia and Hyundai cars.  

The 2015 and 2020 i20s we had from new both had Michelins ....

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 2015 and 2020 i20s we had from new both had Michelins ....

Oh yeah, they make those things all over the place.  I should say Hyundai and Kia built in South Korea.  There may be exceptions but the vast majority use Nexen.  You could say they are the Seoul supplier!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, anchorman said:

You could say they are the Seoul supplier!

groan.gif.ea31ccfca2bd333c27b05c5ce96b0135.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links