Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Prius PHEV owner (G4), have some questions

Nizzehult

Hi.

Finally i bought myself a Prius G4. A 2019 with 48k mile on the meter. Nice car! Was really happy with my older Lexus but their plugin-hybrids are still too expensive. 

Did a 1000km trip last weekend (620 mile) and are very impressed by the gas mileage! 3,1l/100km (91,1 miles/gallon)! No extra charging on that trip but it was fully charged when I started. Had AC on all the way since it was steaming hot outside. 
The car (Executive) is full of nice options that I still have not really learned how to use yet.

One problem, though. TPMS light is on and if I try to reset it still stays on. Pressure in tyres are fine. Will not get any "TPMS initiziated complete" message neither if a just press the Confirm button once nor if I press it three times (as someone tipped me). Could batteries in one ore more sensor be bad? Have just adjusted the pressure on all tyres, do I need Techstream to reprogram them? 

My maps are outdated. I've found someone on eBay who could update them for €35, a fourt of what Toyota wants. Is there anyway to do it yourself using some "not official tool" or so? 

• Like 1

Hi Nisse,It's possible that the cause of the TPMS light staying on is a dead Battery in one or more of the tyre pressure sensors. These batteries typically last around 5-10 years, so it's not unusual for them to need replacement on a 2019 car.As you have already tried the correct reset procedure, it can sometimes take a few attempts. 

Obviously you have checked the tyre pressures,but I would do it again.Check the tyres, including the spare if required are to the recommended pressures.Then park on a Level surface and turn off the ignition.Wait for about 90 seconds. Turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine. Press and hold the reset button for about 60 seconds.The TPMS light should blink slowly for about 30 seconds and then turn off. If it doesn’t repeat the process.If the light still won't reset, you might need to take it to a mechanic with a Toyota scan tool like Techstream. They can diagnose which sensor is malfunctioning and replace it if needed.

Toyota offers map updates, but there are cheaper alternatives.Check to see if there's a recent update available directly from Toyota. Sometimes they offer discounts or promotions. Some authorised Toyota dealers might offer map updates at a lower price. If you choose a third party option, make sure it's from a reliable source.Glad you are enjoying your Prius. Hope this helps.:smile:

Thank you for your answer. 

Well, I finally managed to make a proper reset and the light went off. Called Toyota and they said the the manual is wrong, the reset button should be pressed three times. Then it still is on until you start driving, then it goes off. And it did! 
I have Techstream myself and this car do not have a spare tyre (does any car have that today?) Will there be some kind of warning when the Battery in the sensor is low? Can batterys be replaced without taking of the tyre? 

Dealer "missed" to do a map update while they still were free (3 years) and they will not give me any discount on an upgrade (about £100). On my Lexus there was some really cheap alternative for upgrading maps but from Russia, though. Will not even try that today by obvious reasons. 

Found a useful seller on eBay who could offer new maps for a decent price. And it worked fine. Lessons learned though: do not upgrade while charging. System will go into some kind of power save mode after 5 minutes and shut off the infotainment system and upgrade is interupted. It also takes a while, almost an hour! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links