Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"Oil Maintenance Required"

ikcdab

I have had my 72 plate Yaris Cross since October last year. We bought it with 9K on the clock and it now has 14K on the clock.

The next service interval is a year or 20K miles, so not due yet.

A few days ago i started getting the warning "Oil Maintenance required in 420 miles". The clock is ticking down and it now is down to 390 miles. It is not due a service and so I am not sure why the warning has popped up.

I went into the main dealer and they were not helpful. They suggested that the clock might not have been reset when the last service was done. Or they said there might be a thenical fault. She said that they could reset the clock if i wanted, but if they did, then the 20K service interval warning would be lost.

She said there was no physical problem with the car though the Toyota App says i need to schedule a maintenace appointment soon. She said it was best just to wait until the next scheduled service in October. Its not really a problem, but annoying that i have to cancel the warning everytime  i turn the car on.

Any ideas?

3 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

The next service interval is a year or 20K miles, so not due yet.

When was it last serviced? It's more than a year since registration so should have had a service between Sept 23 and Feb 24.

When does the last service show in the app? It's possible it was serviced early before you bought it. I think the oil service counter is specific to the car but the app is based on the service history online though if it was done properly last time, they would possibly coincide.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

When does the last service show in the app? It's possible it was serviced early before you bought it. I think the oil service counter is specific to the car but the app is based on the service history online though if it was done properly last time, they would possibly coincide.

It was serviced October 2023. 

Interesting puzzle. How many previous owners are mentioned on the V5? I'm wondering if it passed through one dealer, and was serviced as part of the sale prep, at 4k before being traded in again with your dealer, who did not service it but stamped the book.

I will admit to some degree of cynicism where motor traders are concerned.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

When was it last serviced? It's more than a year since registration so should have had a service between Sept 23 and Feb 24.

HI there, it was serviced 17 Oct 2023.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Interesting puzzle. How many previous owners are mentioned on the V5? I'm wondering if it passed through one dealer, and was serviced, at 4k before being traded in again with your dealer, who did not service it but stamped the book.

it was bought new in Sept 2022 and sold back to the same dealer in Oct 2023 when we then bought it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ikcdab said:

it was serviced 17 Oct 2023.

3 hours ago, ikcdab said:

They suggested that the clock might not have been reset when the last service was done.

Doesn't make sense. It should have been complaining since October.

annoying that i have to cancel the warning everytime  i turn the car on.

Yes ...

She said that they could reset the clock if i wanted, but if they did, then the 20K service interval warning would be lost.

So get them to reset it. Put a note on your calendar like we used to (and I still do * ). It does sound like the system is half-cocked somehow.

( * Is it weird that I don't trust my cars to tell me when they need a service but do trust Google?)

• Like 1

How sure are you it was serviced in October do you have any thing from Toyota, the service desk can print of the last invoice or they did with me and blacked out first owners address 

• Like 2

It’s easy to reset.  You go into the settings menu via the steering wheel.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddiefh said:

How sure are you it was serviced in October do you have any thing from Toyota, the service desk can print of the last invoice or they did with me and blacked out first owners address 

This is the only way I know...

Screenshot_20240601_074420_MyToyota.thumb.jpg.6d806902209424fbfc4740e216e1d9b4.jpg

Have you looked at the oil on the dipstick, does it look dirty? If you're worried, why not just get the oil and filter changed.

I had the same issue with mine 2 months after the first service. It goes on mileage rather than time.  The dealer just forgot about it.
I reset it with the steering wheel settings menu and forgot about it. 

1 hour ago, Ralph H said:

I had the same issue with mine 2 months after the first service. It goes on mileage rather than time.  The dealer just forgot about it.
I reset it with the steering wheel settings menu and forgot about it. 

But it's a 20k interval and the car only has 14k on it. So it seems like:-

13 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Or they said there might be a thenical fault.

is correct. 

(Are you sure it only uses mileage? Our 8yo Smart does better than that, giving a countdown in days as we don't do much mileage.)

23 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

But it's a 20k interval and the car only has 14k on it. So it seems like:-

is correct. 

(Are you sure it only uses mileage? Our 8yo Smart does better than that, giving a countdown in days as we don't do much mileage.)

Definitely counts down in miles. As mine was 2 months after the first year service but just coming up to 10k. I might be wrong but I assume it starts the 10k countdown from when it was last reset. And as the OP is not the first owner they have no idea when that was as it can be reset at any time 

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but is there a paper service record book? I know Toyota - like most makes - is or has phased paper service record books out, but mine is also a September 2022 first registered Yaris (not a Cross) and has one.

Another idea: is it possible for someone to have configured the service reminder for severe usage? That would reduce the oil change interval to 5k but it's only a theory - I don't know if the reminder can be adjusted or not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links