Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loud clicking noise and acceleration lag

IgnasToyota

2020 XA50 RAV4. 90k km (56k miles). 2.0l NA AWD. First heard this clicking noise at 60k km, but could have been earlier (It is my mothers car). At first it was silent and I though that it was the AC compressor and forgot about it. But when I had to take the RAV4 for a day because I left my car at the dealership for maintenance the sound got loud enough to hear it when the left window is down (the sound is coming from the right side of the engine). The car also sometimes suffers immense acceleration lag when pressing the gas pedal (sometimes it took 3 or more seconds for the car to realise that I pressed the gas pedal, it made overtaking super unsafe). Mom said that it always like this. The car passed inspection and multiple dealership checkups with no reported problems. Is this something I should be worried about?

Not sure I can hear any clicking, I'm sure you can because your ears are turned into the sound, others might be able to help? From this view you might want to get the tyre depth checked out?

I can hear it loud & clear. Is this the side of the car with the ancillary components (alternator, AC compressor etc.) or is it the transmission side? This noise combined with the acceleration lag....I'm thinking possible transmission problem?

9 hours ago, IgnasToyota said:

2020 XA50 RAV4. 90k km (56k miles). 2.0l NA AWD

This is a [mostly] UK forum - in the UK the XA50 is a 2.5L hybrid. I understand from your other post that you are in Lithuania and guess that you have a Russian built, 2.0L normally aspirated car?

My point being that the majority of forum users won't know what your car is supposed to sound like in the first place ... It sounds neither great nor terrible to me.

A normally aspirated 2.0L version of the RAV4.5 isn't going to be the quickest car off the mark, so, maybe, your Mum is correct when she says that it has always been like that? I guess its apparent performance will depend on what you are comparing it to?

Could your acceleration issue be attributed to ‘turbo lag’ ?

2 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

I can hear it loud & clear. Is this the side of the car with the ancillary components (alternator, AC compressor etc.) or is it the transmission side? This noise combined with the acceleration lag....I'm thinking possible transmission problem?

It's on the side where all the belts are. I have read some information about the NA models and the acceleration lag is kinda common on this model so I dont think that it is a transmission problem. 

10 hours ago, IgnasToyota said:

It's on the side where all the belts are. I have read some information about the NA models and the acceleration lag is kinda common on this model so I dont think that it is a transmission problem. 

In that case, I think the noise is very likely to be from one of the things driven by the auxilliary belt (A/C, water pump, alternator or idler pulley).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links