Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car won’t start unless jumped despite having full battery

Mike Gray

Got back from a week’s break, wife took car for a short journey - no problem.

next day car wouldn’t start.

screen said low Battery so jump started it with no problem.

prior to that it also said handbrake problem, take to main dealer.

this morning it wouldn’t start, jumped it and kept it running for 5 minutes.

turned off and left it for an hour and won’t start.

when I switch the ignition on a push on the brake peddle I get an intermittent throb and a red electro power steering light.

Any thoughts please

cheers

mike

• Sad 2

Charge the Battery using a charger or longer ride (hour or longer). The Battery is either flat or damaged. Another possibility - one of the car components doesn't go to sleep and constantly draws current 

• Like 2

Thanks.

will try using a charger

• Like 1

Smart charge system might be a problem, if your car has that. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike, hopefully it's something simple like the Battery needs charging. However it may also be caused by other issues so its worth being aware.An old or week Battery can cause multiple problems so test and replace the Battery. Its possible that something might be draining the battery while the car is off and could be a parasitic draw. Loose or corroded battery terminals are another possibility so clean and secure the battery connections.The brake and power steering warnings may be due to low voltage from the battery problems. I would test the battery.Check and clean all electrical connections.Scan for error codes with an OBD scanner.If these steps don't resolve the issues,take the car to a  mechanic or Toyota dealership so they can identify the issue.Hope this helps :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bob is right, charge the Battery not just an hour but at least overnight.

"A short journey" and "5 minutes" does not cut it.

Toyota recommend it should be in Ready mode for an hour a week.  When it has actually been flat you need rather more than an hour to bring the charge up. 

Although we have said an hour accumulated time I have found that 6 or more trips (on/off cycles) adding up to 60 minutes is no good as the frequent cycles deplete the Battery.   As a minimum I would suggest 3x20 or 2x30 as a sustaining charge.  For recovery you need much longer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bper said:

If the alternator is not charging then test the alternator

That's a new one on me.  I didn't know the Yaris Cross had an alternator. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

they will be looking for a long time, ask them to find the aux belt, tensioner and water pump they may want to put up a wanted poster for the starter motor too 🤪

has Bper's account been taken over by an AI bot recently

@Mike Gray your Battery is screwed get a new one, if it is ultra flat it will not take a jump start

ps. All UK mk4 Yaris and Yaris grumpies are 1.5 hybrid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I think eyeryone is entitled a senior moment, lol.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Roy124 said:

With all the Battery related issues posted on this forum it would benefit from one 😉

• Haha 5

Lead acid batteries aren't designed to go flat, they never fully recover from it. So, if it's happened on more than one occasion, it probably needs replacing. Think of a flat Battery as a cardiac arrest and the jump starter as a defilbrillator. You might be able to revive it, but it will never return to 100% of it's former health.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, flash22 said:

they will be looking for a long time, ask them to find the aux belt, tensioner and water pump they may want to put up a wanted poster for the starter motor too 🤪

has Bper's account been taken over by an AI bot recently

@Mike Gray your battery is screwed get a new one, if it is ultra flat it will not take a jump start

ps. All UK mk4 Yaris and Yaris grumpies are 1.5 hybrid

💯 

Thanks for all your replies. I’ve charged the Battery up and it works fine.

I’m going to check the Battery level this morning to see if something is draining it down.

whatever the outcome I will contact the local Toyota dealership as the vehicle is still under warranty 

• Like 2

Mike, sounds like you got it recovered,  but as others have said, once flat it will never be fully fit.

That than hot foot to Toyota, I suggest you check the Battery over the week.  If the car is not in use then you can check daily voltage drop.

If you are using it, try logging the voltage first think before starting,  the time in Ready mode, the time the car is parked before going home and then voltage before starting.

In the first case you may note the steady decline over the week.

In the second case, with a good Battery the figures should all be very similar each day.

If you can then show a steady drain you might be able to get the garage to do something. 

1 hour ago, Mike Gray said:

Thanks for all your replies. I’ve charged the battery up and it works fine.

I’m going to check the battery level this morning to see if something is draining it down.

whatever the outcome I will contact the local Toyota dealership as the vehicle is still under warranty 

Something is draining it down, that’s normal.  The 12v Battery only runs the door locks and dash electrics but the GPS flight attendant button draws all the time so it will go down.  Buy yourself a Yuasa 5000 replacement Battery for about £75 and you’ll virtually eliminate your problem unless you leave it stood many weeks.  

• Like 2

Mike, of course it depends on how long you plan on keeping the car.

37 minutes ago, anchorman said:

GPS flight attendant button draws all the time so it will go down

DCM module for remote communication does that. I know you wrote that as a joke, but I'm not sure if the author knows the inside jokes of that matter to get it 🙂

BTW I have a feeling that GPS is not enabled if the car is closed and locked. It reports it's position on ignition off and probably on ignition on which indicates journey start and end (or possibly on the open/close state change) but I don't think it periodically reports it's position. Should be easy to check if you close the car and get it towed somewhere else. But that's off topic 🙂 

• Like 4

I went through a couple of weeks with my Dad's Ford Fusion having a parasitic drain, which this maybe could be. Other replies you have are correct that a quick spin around the block (for example) does not charge a flat Battery. I know from experience you need a good 12 - 18 hours on a slow trickle charge to get sufficient amps back into your Battery after it goes flat. If you think you have a parasitic drain, let me know and I will tell you how I tracked that down (or search my username for recent posts about this which you may find helpful).

• Like 2

Marek, regardless of the GPS, the car DCM is continually active ready to respond to any App requests.

• Like 2

Yes, this is true, but the power draw from just the comm module being active is much smaller than from active GPS receiver unit 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hind said:

Yes, this is true, but the power draw from just the comm module being active is much smaller than from active GPS receiver unit 🙂

Take your word for it, but they two together.....

The op could have had no issues with the Battery if after returned from holiday and restarted the car they went on a long drive 40+ minutes this would have saved the Battery from going dead. But instead unknowingly they had started and shut down shortly after which was the final nail in the coffin. The 12v Battery supply power to everything in the car except electric motors and air conditioning compressor. 
When I had my battery completely died few weeks ago, I managed to jump start , leaving it connected to a smart charger for an hour and then start the car while still connected and after disconnecting the charger the car remained ON and I was able to drive to the dealer and buy new battery, however the voltage remained low during my journey and the hybrid battery got extra loaded and extra discharged and engine was constantly running. 
Conclusion : - low or dead 12v battery loads unnecessary the hybrid system and reduce efficiency a bit. After both hybrid and 12v battery got replaced my Auris drives totally different and very much like a new car. Let’s see how long they will last, the original ones did 13.5 years 👌

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The op could have had no issues with the battery if after returned from holiday and restarted the car they went on a long drive 40+ minutes this would have saved the battery from going dead. But instead unknowingly they had started and shut down shortly after which was the final nail in the coffin. The 12v battery supply power to everything in the car except electric motors and air conditioning compressor. 
When I had my battery completely died few weeks ago, I managed to jump start , leaving it connected to a smart charger for an hour and then start the car while still connected and after disconnecting the charger the car remained ON and I was able to drive to the dealer and buy new battery, however the voltage remained low during my journey and the hybrid battery got extra loaded and extra discharged and engine was constantly running. 
Conclusion : - low or dead 12v battery loads unnecessary the hybrid system and reduce efficiency a bit. After both hybrid and 12v battery got replaced my Auris drives totally different and very much like a new car. Let’s see how long they will last, the original ones did 13.5 years 👌

Don’t forget Tony, it’s a time function not a distance function.  He could have achieved the same charging and saved fuel, wear and tear by just putting the car in ready mode.  👍

• Like 5

When my car had a flat Battery I went to my Dealer who dismissed my request to fit a new Battery & said they would check my Battery & ,if it met certain conditions .they would put it on a 24hr, charge.

I told them what this Forum position was & was told a Dealer has a state of the Art Charger that costs 000's & their solution would work.

Never had any issue in the last 7 months & ,when garaged for over 2 weeks, started perfectly.

Tel

1 minute ago, Tel 2 said:

has a state of the Art Charger that costs 000's

well, it still has to obey physics and chemistry laws 😛

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links