Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Safety Tests Scandal

This relates to Japanese certification, rather than European.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dimitriscy said:

Toyotas stellar reputation is everything,  this is a bit of a shock to be honest !!  I assume, if there will be a recall, we will find out sooner or later.  And of course, they need to find out what batches are affected.

I sense more excuses by the car insurers for further crippling increases to premiums.

As car development testing becomes more complicated, so the possibility of issuing false safety data increases.  The big questions are: (1) Is the false data minimal to gain advantage over competitors, or is it certifying cars that should definitely not be on the road?    (2) Are there more makes and models out there which “appear safe”, only because they have not yet been found out?

It can be very worrying for we drivers, who take for granted that our scars are safe, and accept an MoT pass as trustworthy proof of this.   We should also bear in mind that “driverless cars” will be manufactured by the same car makers and subsidiary companies who presently produce our conventional cars!   How’s your trust holding out???

How far up the ranks were they aware of this?

In typical Japanese sense of honour, this could eventually end up in another change of leadership.

Daily Telegraph article today...

Toyota and rivals halt car exports over safety

TOYOTA and four other Japanese ­vehicle makers have been forced to halt some shipments amid a widening ­safety-test cheating scandal.

The government in Tokyo found the companies had submitted faulty or manipulated safety test data when they were applying for the certification of certain cars and motorcycles.

It is the latest blow to Japan’s well-­regarded auto industry after revelations of “irregularities” in certification ­processes in January, following an investigation at Toyota’s Daihatsu ­compact car unit. The companies insist the issues do not affect the performance or safety of their vehicles and that ­customers can continue driving them.

At Toyota, the world’s biggest ­carmaker, the cheating relates to the popular Yaris Cross, the Corolla Fielder and Corolla Axio, as well as four ­discontinued models. The company’s infractions included using inadequate or outdated data for crash tests and ­falsified data in engine power tests.

At a press conference in Japan yesterday, Akio Toyoda, the Toyota chairman, bowed deeply for several seconds in front of television cameras – a customary gesture used by companies that have been caught misbehaving.

Mr Toyoda said: “We sincerely apologise. These acts shake the very foundation of the verification system. They should have never been committed.”

Toyota said the halt to shipments would affect two assembly lines responsible for the production of 130,000 cars a year. The company sold 11m vehicles last year. The other companies caught up in the testing scandal are Honda, Mazda, Suzuki Motor and Yamaha Motor, who also admitted they had found evidence of inadequate testing.

Mazda, based in Hiroshima, said it falsified test results for collision testing of five models including the Mazda2 and the Roadster  RF.

Meanwhile, Tokyo-based Honda said it had carried out improper tests on 22 discontinued cars. In Suzuki‘s case, the fraudulent conduct was limited to a ­single model: a light commercial version of a previous-generation Alto.

Yamaha admitted to irregularities related to the YZF-R1 sports motorcycle.

Toyota shares dropped 1.8pc in Tokyo yesterday. The findings deepen a crisis in Japan’s car industry, with the government having ordered some 90 manufacturers to re-examine testing procedures. Investigations into 17 companies are still ongoing.

Article in today’s Telegraph. Yesterday Toyota announced it had ceased shipments of cars including the Yaris Cross. They have admitted to ‘irregularities’ in certification. They stress the existing cars are safe to drive so no issues with that - it looks like it is the Japanese equivalent of Dieselgate and maybe UK petrol hybrids are not effected