Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 Corolla - crumbled heat shield

TheDispossessed

Hello,

I'm the recent owner of a 2006 Corolla with just 60k miles. Previously it had been owned by a woman who only did around 2k miles a year.

I've driven around 1300 miles since I bought it and mechanically everything seems fine, however the other day I noticed a metallic humming sound and found that the heat shield below the fuel tank had crumbled (a large chunk was missing) and was sitting just above the exhaust pipe. This seems to be a fairly common thing for Toyotas and from what I've read a lot of people get around this using oversized washers, however as a large piece is missing I'll have to either replace it or find some other way of providing a heat shield for the exhaust as AFAIK this will be a definite MOT fail given the proximity to the fuel tank.

I was wondering what others have done who experienced the same situation?

Many thanks,

Pete

438083820_973257007807798_6996874211705898782_n.jpg

Hi,

Had exactly the same problem with ours about 2 years ago, was able to use and fashion some thin aluminium sheets and pop rivet them to the original  heat shield to both replace some corroded sections over the exhaust pipe and to strengthen the rest after rust treating and using some heat proof paint.

Its passed 2 mot tests without any comment.

Did think about making something new for just around the exhaust pipe but it does need to go under the fuel tank as read its also functions to stop any objects flying up onto the tank ?

When we last looked around there were some available from Japan but  if you now look on eBay etc there are some new ones though for £199, sounds a lot but that is around what Toyota would sell them for if in stock, which again we were told before they were not available .   - just wondering of we should get one as well ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115865763644

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply oldcodger - I think I'll have to get underneath and try to cobble something together before the next MOT is due!

Thanks again,

Pete

Looking at the pic yours looks very rusty - perhaps just us getting too old to shuffle underneath these days, think we would buy a new one if you intend to keep it for any time.

Didn't click from your first post, but Durham is where we bought ours from  about 14 years ago, a private sale,  just 4 years old, 35k on the clock and one lady owner  who was emigrating,  Cost just £4750, wish we could buy something as good for that money today !!

• Like 1

Mine did the same a couple of years back.. interestingly just the rear shield is made of easy-rust stuff while the other couple of bits are either very well protected or made of a much better alloy.

Anyhoo, I sent of for a roll of 2ply aluminium dimpled sheet which retains a shape pretty well, and fashioned a replacement. Holding up really nicely so far. 

If I remember I'll try to find it in my eBay history if it goes back far enough.

60k on a 2006.. brilliant! I got mine in 2018 with iirc 80k, past 140k now and love the car!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, hubrad said:

Anyhoo, I sent of for a roll of 2ply aluminium dimpled sheet which retains a shape pretty well, and fashioned a replacement. Holding up really nicely so far. 

If I remember I'll try to find it in my eBay history if it goes back far enough.

Yes, please, would be good to know the exact product you used and the supplier.

Haha, it'd already slipped my mind!

Here we go, it turns out it was September 2020 I bought it, obviously the price has risen more than 50p since then. 🙄

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182808277569?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GKaFuNVBRSC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=BbVmrHvHQyW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Thanks 2

Iirc it came as a roll, so first job was to persuade it not to be all curled up, then to accept an ad-hoc 3d shaping!

• Thanks 1

Further to the above,  here's a pic of my foil shield. Best angle I could get with the car parked outside work!

20240618_123355.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links