Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2024 Yaris Cross, anyone top this?

ashmj

Picked up new on the 15th May, this self tapping bolt decided to come home with us on the drive home, new tyre fitted on the 17th. RAC removed that with a socket set and plugged it from the outside to be able to drive it to a local fitter at 12 miles, replaced at 27, Continental and they tried to palm us off with a Hankook so had to go back again for the same as the others

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-04 at 22.47.59_6a04eece.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Unlucky and how much did the new tyre cost?

• Like 2

That should have been repairable. You've been done.

Sidewall, replace the tyre. Corner near sidewall ... urrh maybe, maybe not. 

Middle of the tread - easy peasy.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MikeSh said:

That should have been repairable. You've been done.

Sidewall, replace the tyre. Corner near sidewall ... urrh maybe, maybe not. 

Middle of the tread - easy peasy.

Looks perfectly repairable, unless it was driven on flat.

• Like 3

Rac plugged it then it's fine to use, no need to change the tyre unless driven for some distance while flat damaging the tyre. Also no need to change all 4 to hankooks either? 

My car actually had a flat from a screw on Sunday morning after arriving in Cornwall the day before.  Plugged it with a rubber strip and all good again. 

• Like 3

Since I got my Yaris from the dealer, I've noticed that it is loosing pressure slightly in one of the wheels, around 3 psi per month but because this was since it was new I was suspecting the whole valve to be faulty but this was just a slight inconvenience and soon I changed the whole set to the winter one. In spring I've changed the wheel set once more and again noticed the pressure loss. Raised this with the dealer while I dropped the car for the yearly warranty inspection, expecting them to change the faulty valve. But to my surprise, it was not a valve but the nail I had in the tyre since (probably) day 1. I did 6000 miles with it and didn't notice 🙂 of course it was much more hidden in the tread but yeah - apparently it happens more often than you can imagine 😛 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, hind said:

it was not a valve but the nail I had in the tyre since (probably) day 1.

If you don't notice it soon (before a/c we'd often have a window cracked and hear that tick tick sound like a stone) the head gets worn off and it's then silent and very hard to spot. 

Screws are often worse for leakage as the thread can provide a spiral channel for the air to escape, whereas a smooth nail gives a good seal.

• Like 2

I had a leaking tyre on a Mondeo. Nothing seen, squirt of gunk and problem solved.

A screw in the spare on the Mercedes, no pressure loss so left it alone.

Slow leak on my Corolla,  found the nail or whatever, just topped up the pressure as required until I Pxd.  Dealer never mentioned it.  Home the new buyer found it.

It wasn't driven flat. It went flat overnight. They argued that because the RAC had drilled it out a bit bigger and then plugged then it had to be replaced.

I think it was a bit hubik myself but better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 3

Same here where the dealership said hole through to the canvas but not punctured.  Car depot,  after the tyre change,  confirmed dealer opinion.

In your case, with 8mm tread, galling.  In mine, 5mm tread not so bad except I am changing the car next month.

• Like 2

Don’t worry, these often happen to me too especially after replacing a new set of tyres.
One of my cases I had was similar,  on top of the tread and my plug lasted 60k miles. Last time though the plug fitted ok but sadly the tyre was punctured on more than one place and on the sidewall so I needed to replace only few weeks after all 4 were replaced.
Good to you insisted to have the same tyre.
I don’t get it here in uk the thinking of tyre men and in general the concepts of  mix match tyres but push to put new ones on the rear because of safety concerns.   🙅🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

I remember many years ago you could buy Esso tyres, I think that was the brand rather than the supplier.  Unconditional guarantee. 

There must have been some conditions though.  Drive to bald, kerb it, new tyre please. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I remember many years ago you could buy Esso tyres, I think that was the brand rather than the supplier.  Unconditional guarantee. 

There must have been some conditions though.  Drive to bald, kerb it, new tyre please. 

I am glad you said that, my Dad had Esso tyres on his old Austin Cambridge A55. I can't say I have seen many, and people I tell that to think I am wrong.

This was our tyre starting to go flat at 12 miles and no unconditional guarantee. Not even brake dust on the wheel, it pains me and my wallet lol. Ignore the weeds etc, they are not ours.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-06 at 22.59.36_e083a8ac.jpg

• Like 1

Watching the bold shape and size it looks like those that hold the under engine cover and if it was indeed it is very likely you had that from the dealer you had bought the car. These aren’t very sharp but when it means to happen it just happens. 

53 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Watching the bold shape and size it looks like those that hold the under engine cover and if it was indeed it is very likely you had that from the dealer you had bought the car. These aren’t very sharp but when it means to happen it just happens. 

Er, wot?

• Haha 1

Flat at Cornwall, repair process. 

IMG-20240607-WA0010.thumb.jpg.d7ba23ed3ecf053ab5ab02b273c17b5c.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0005.thumb.jpg.69027400e851b6bec89986ad777ab58f.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0009.thumb.jpg.5d8f6a544b4f3986fbc6306f04f3f06f.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0008.thumb.jpg.be54f4fd0dda4f6a2316ccf2012fe5a5.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0007.thumb.jpg.9e965263820e7f968496b47b97afc129.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0006.thumb.jpg.9f333ccc357bdb00e6f1e655f382420b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Er, wot?

The car was brand new and on the way home he discovered the bolt in the tyre. These or very similar bolts with washers are the fixings of the large plastic cover under the engine, and mechanics often lose these on the floor so if the car was there on PDI check very likely the bolt puncture the tyre at that location. Dealer garages and all industrial places are horribly dirty these days. Poor culture. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Flat at Cornwall, repair process. 

IMG-20240607-WA0010.thumb.jpg.d7ba23ed3ecf053ab5ab02b273c17b5c.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0005.thumb.jpg.69027400e851b6bec89986ad777ab58f.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0009.thumb.jpg.5d8f6a544b4f3986fbc6306f04f3f06f.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0008.thumb.jpg.be54f4fd0dda4f6a2316ccf2012fe5a5.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0007.thumb.jpg.9e965263820e7f968496b47b97afc129.jpgIMG-20240607-WA0006.thumb.jpg.9f333ccc357bdb00e6f1e655f382420b.jpg

Not a good experience but at least you are well prepared. 
When things like that happen is kind of rewarding that you as a driver can do the job quickly and efficiently and be on your way in no time.
Old school motoring 👌🛞👍

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 9:22 AM, ashmj said:

They argued that because the RAC had drilled it out a bit bigger and then plugged then it had to be replaced.

If they didn't drill a huge hole it should have been an easy repair - 

On 6/6/2024 at 11:13 PM, ashmj said:

Austin Cambridge A55.

First car I ever owned.

Consider yourself lucky that the tyre was only flat at the bottom.😉

@Mojo1010 do you put anything on that rubber?

I got a set (somewhere) and hadn't thought to use it.  Mind you, I didn't have a puncture just a hole in the rubber.  

I changed the car as the garage would have known when I Px'd. 

As an aside, I once had a blow our of a front tyre when I was doing over 70 (legally) and there were no dramas.   Just a loud bang, front and back, and the car didn't swerve.

• Like 2

@Roy124 coat it with a lubricant which came with one of these kit, makes it much easier to go through. Have used without the lubricant previously, it's a lot more difficult to do. A hole in the rubber it's okay to use this, pierced the tyre like a puncture then repair if it happens in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links