Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check if a Toyota Prius has CVT or eCVT

Mike90

Hi there,

I am going to buy a Toyota Prius 2019. The dealer is not able to tell me whether it is a standard CVT or eCVT. Is there any way I can check the vehicle specification online? Thanks in advance.

No need to check. All Toyota Prius models have an "eCVT" or more correctly, a power split device involving sun and planar gears. (no bands or pulleys)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PS. ...and frankly, I'm alarmed that the dealer (main dealer?) didn't know this already!

• Like 1

Just now, CPN said:

PS. ...and frankly, I'm alarmed that the dealer (main dealer?) didn't know this already!

Yeah, me too. He is from a second hand car company that mostly sells Mazda, so that would be an excuse. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike90 said:

Hi there,

I am going to buy a Toyota Prius 2019. The dealer is not able to tell me whether it is a standard CVT or eCVT. Is there any way I can check the vehicle specification online? Thanks in advance.

The 2019 is a great upgrade from the 1st gen4 revision 2018 you have, but bear in mind that although that years release had the lights and some external changes the head unit was not made aa/carplay capable until late 2020. There is no dealer software upgrade to make a 2019 model capable. Also the 2020 models should include the internal wifi as standard where the 2019 doesn't…

Oh, so do you recommend to buy Prius 2020 onwards? Is there any other problem with 2018 or 2019 models as those are the most popular ones at my place?

4 hours ago, Mike90 said:

Oh, so do you recommend to buy Prius 2020 onwards? Is there any other problem with 2018 or 2019 models as those are the most popular ones at my place?

I love this model and it is the first prius hybrid that drives like a ‘normal’ car in my opinion. I would recommend any of the variants  

i have owned all 3 variants (current model 2022 excel - one of the last 32 imported post covid before the model was withdrawn)

gen4 2016 (mar)-2019 (mar), early models had a fragile front screen liable to cracking, this was addressed by a toyota recall, radiator mount bolts also addressed by recall notice. the “Zorro” rear lights are not popular with everyone, cheaper to tax than later models (due to legislation changes).

gen4 facelift 2019 (mar)-2020 (sept) some 2019 recalled (and fixed) due to bad display unit / wiring issue with main display. Some models not delivered with wifi due to production availability. Because of Covid these models tend to have lower milage but look out for bad 12v as they took a hit with cars not being used for months.  Slight remapping of the power output so feels sportier.

gen4 facelift 2020 (sept)-2022(mar) carplay / aa integrated into head unit. Low availabilty of these models due to factory shutdowns during Covid. Chipageddon compounded this issue and some models were sent to customers without parking sensors enabled but retrofitted by dealers later.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul john said:

I love this model and it is the first prius hybrid that drives like a ‘normal’ car in my opinion. I would recommend any of the variants  

i have owned all 3 variants (current model 2022 excel - one of the last 32 imported post covid before the model was withdrawn)

gen4 2016 (mar)-2019 (mar), early models had a fragile front screen liable to cracking, this was addressed by a toyota recall, radiator mount bolts also addressed by recall notice. the “Zorro” rear lights are not popular with everyone, cheaper to tax than later models (due to legislation changes).

gen4 facelift 2019 (mar)-2020 (sept) some 2019 recalled (and fixed) due to bad display unit / wiring issue with main display. Some models not delivered with wifi due to production availability. Because of Covid these models tend to have lower milage but look out for bad 12v as they took a hit with cars not being used for months.  Slight remapping of the power output so feels sportier.

gen4 facelift 2020 (sept)-2022(mar) carplay / aa integrated into head unit. Low availabilty of these models due to factory shutdowns during Covid. Chipageddon compounded this issue and some models were sent to customers without parking sensors enabled but retrofitted by dealers later.  

Wow, awesome info. Thank you 🙂

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links