Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which spec of Yaris Hybrid comes with a digital speedometer?

newbu

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

that sweet collimated dashboard

Yes, I miss that especially now I need bifocals. Much easier when the info is far away, so to speak.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

That's an interesting point. He might be an AI.

Could explain some stuff 🤔

Beep boop Does Not Compute beep boop I am not an "Ayy Eye" beep boop :eek: 

(beep beep Eep they're on to me!)

I mean *ahem* I am just a normal person fellow human! Err, the beeping? Err, ignore that, it is just... the Yaris ADAS, yes! :whistling1: :fear: 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Yes, I miss that especially now I need bifocals. Much easier when the info is far away, so to speak.

If you upgrade to a Mk4 :naughty:  (Join ussss join usssss! :drool: :laugh: ) you can get one with a HUD (Launch Edition would be the easiest; finding an Excel with the Tech pack may be trickier!) and it is a nice substitute for the old collimated dash; The only real downsides are you can't wear polarized glasses and it gets blanked by bright light (Which the central tunnel on the Mk1 and Mk2 virtually eliminated), but I couldn't be without it!

(I still can scarcely believe you can even get a real HUD on a car this size and class! :laugh: )

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Join ussss join usssss! :drool: 

One of us -one of us - one of us ,is it a cult?

No really, I'd really like to have a drive in all the other MKS Yarisiss, the 2 the 3 and the 4 to compare.

I see them all around here, must be popular,all of them, but more MK1 s than the others, some even older than mine.

Some of us even bother to get RFL, insurance and MOT, but rare.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

you can get one with a HUD

I had a HUD on an Hyundai a few years ago. It was nice but wasn't a deal-breaker for me. The MK4 Yaris might be different/better, but for the £000 it would cost me to change and the miles I drive these days it's not even slightly tempting.

C'est la vie. Or perhaps c'est la mort ... cos getting old.

• Like 1

There are indeed pros and cons over displays.

In the Boeing Stratocruiser the was a block of engine instrument display,  oil pressure, temps, etc.  The dials could be rotated.  A quick glance would reveal an anomaly. 

On a distance to go display 6 5 4 3 2 1 was far clearer than a needle slowly dropping.

A speedo needle swinging to the right will show both an increasing speed and the rate of movement proportional to acceleration.  OTOH the digital readout gives the actual instantaneous reading.

The Eco or Rev counter are better displaying rate.

• Like 1

It's definitely better with a digital speed dash, I had a 2016 for 5 years with the analogue, didn't like it at all. Though it's free road tax pre april 2017 on the hybrid!

• Like 1

As a youngster I used to marvel at the American speedos, long horizontal rectangles,  speed 0-160. It the needle could be read to 10moh you were lucky.  If the car was doing the indicated speed luckier still. 

Or later, the Mercedes speed gauge a  vertical column.  As the speed increased the column would rotate and the coloured segment would rise.  Potentially I guess it might have been accurate but not at a glance. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roy124 said:

long horizontal rectangles

Early Viva HCs had a snazzy horizontal speedo. That car had a lot of American styling cues.

• Like 1

my only worry with the full digital screens is when they break and you have no speedo or anything so cant use the car so it will cost a bomb for a new display or you get some dead pixels in there. Very rare a good old fashioned dial broke.

Honestly I can't think about any situation when the screen behind the wheel is damaged by any foreign object. 

The Astra GTE had a funky Digi dash state of the art in the 80's

vauxhall-astra-gte-digital-dashboard-v0-

As most know I did the facelift dash swap - I have only done 2 others since

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The Astra GTE had a funky Digi dash state of the art in the 80's

vauxhall-astra-gte-digital-dashboard-v0-

Simple enough to retrofit in to a boy racer Nova as well - a couple of my friends did it back in the day. 

• Like 1

Oooh nice, even has the torque curve as part of the rev counter! I never understood why those didn't displace analogue dials - Even now half the new digital displays are just emulating analogue dials!

I always wanted a digital dash since I played Test Drive on the C64 and picked the Corvette :laugh: 

And also Knight Rider :naughty: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links