Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Compatibility of toyota head / radio units

Holdstrong

Can anybody shed any light on the compatibility of head units on Toyotas, both with different part nos for the same model and using units from other models with similar part nos. I know going for a replacement with the identical part number is the safest option but other units can be sourced much cheaper.

It concerns a 2114 Auris Tourer fitted with a 86140-02030 head unit (with CD player) that will not turn on. Power supply checked and seems ok so looking for either a replacement unit or repair.

I see on eBay (and other sites) several similar units (like 02020, 02040) which look the same (both in terms of control buttons, fascia front and rear connection sockets) but will they be a direct swap replacement. Also, some have serial nos like 0D040.

Likewise, there are other Toyota models (Yaris, RAV4, GT86 & Prius) that have similar head units albeit with a different front plate. Could the Auris front plate be swapped over ?. The main unit and connection sockets appear similar.

From what I see the 02030 secondhand units seem to be going for between £150 and £200 (uk) and am exploring whether there are cheaper options given that it is the screen for reversing camera and radio that are the features which are required. The other concern is whether a replacement unit of the same age may similarly fail and installing a unit from a newer model may be more reliable in the long term.

Hi,

Toyota wiring is different from most other wordwide standards so might be worth looking a such units.

For around the same price you can purchase a new Android head unit with matching bezel, a reasonabley easy diy job using  some cable adapters, did ours last year.

Seems you can also get a conversion kit to suit any standard single or double din  unit.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Toyota-Auris-2013-complete-stereo-upgrade-fitting-kit-Gloss-Black-FK-937

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Toyota wiring is different from most other wordwide standards so might be worth looking a such units.

For around the same price you can purchase a new Android head unit with matching bezel, a reasonabley easy diy job using  some cable adapters, did ours last year.

Seems you can also get a conversion kit to suit any standard single or double din  unit.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Toyota-Auris-2013-complete-stereo-upgrade-fitting-kit-Gloss-Black-FK-937

I had a similar unit in one of my my mk2 prius to fit a Panasonic head unit with 6cd changer

the little black box is the brains that make the steering controls work. 
there are also additional wiring looms that can be daisy chained with this to provide connections for the JBL variants. 

02030 is a Panasonic Toyota Touch these suffer with age and heat usually causing the memory to fail - if you have "GO" nav module unplug it and see it the DA boots

check your 2 powers and ground

Ignore  the colour codes

Radio2.thumb.jpg.5458ca8db9b640325e704edcaca9f79a.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Clive, 

Check the firm 'Car Audio Repairs' who advertise on eBay -see listing No. 305436642463. Although they specialize in replacing Toyota cracked touchscreens, they do other radio repairs so may be able to fix your switch and check the unit over. Their feedback shows they offer excellent service. 

Just a thought, and it might be less expensive than buying a replacement unit.

John.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links