Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

YC Alarm Activation via Remote Key Fob

152bobby

Simple one this time...can I activate the alarm with the remote control ?

I have tried the usual, hold the door lock button for 5 seconds.

Does your Yaris Cross even have an alarm fitted?

32 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Yes, it does, immobilizer and alarm. The alarm being the horn.  States it in the handbook and stickers all over the windows and I have also tested it.

16 hours ago, forkingabout said:

All Toyota models sold in the UK have a Thatcham standard alarm fitted by default across the ranges.

1 hour ago, CPN said:

All Toyota models sold in the UK have a Thatcham standard alarm fitted by default across the ranges.

No they don't.

A Thatcham approved alarm would be a category 1 system - something the Yaris Cross doesn't have.

Yaris Cross does have a Thatcham category 2 transponder immobiliser fitted as standard.

• Like 2

Have you tried using the mechanical key to open the driver's door after the system has been fully locked (on a Yaris or Yaris Cross)?

I think you may be surprised.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, CPN said:

Have you tried using the mechanical key to open the driver's door after the system has been fully locked (on a Yaris or Yaris Cross)?

I think you may be surprised.

I have tested it as previously.mentioned and the horn sounds, in fact two horns.

And all don't have alarms.  My 2022 Aygo X only had immobilizer which I believe all new cars must have.

My original question was can I activate the alarm with the key fob, a bit like a panic alarm.

• Like 1

Pages 42 and 44 of the YC Hybrid User Guide 

PXL_20240607_072814960.jpg

PXL_20240607_072740074.jpg

• Like 1

I think the panic alarm is a feature on USA Toyotas (they have an extra button on the remote to activate it)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dash said:

I think the panic alarm is a feature on USA Toyotas (they have an extra button on the remote to activate it)

UK owners dip out yet again 😭

4 hours ago, dash said:

My 2008 USA Ford had it, so it's common if not required over there.

6 hours ago, 152bobby said:

My original question was can I activate the alarm with the key fob, a bit like a panic alarm.

Ah, my mistake then.

10 hours ago, 152bobby said:

My original question was can I activate the alarm with the key fob, a bit like a panic alarm

Without the special button on the fob I can't imagine you could.

You could get a US fob and try pairing it, but given the differences between there and here I'd be a bit surprised if it would pair, and more so if the car responded to the button as desired.

3 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Without the special button on the fob I can't imagine you could.

You could get a US fob and try pairing it, but given the differences between there and here I'd be a bit surprised if it would pair, and more so if the car responded to the button as desired.

US vehicle key fobs use a different frequency compared to European / UK vehicle key fobs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

US vehicle key fobs use a different frequency compared to European / UK vehicle key fobs. 

That doesn't surprise me.

5 hours ago, MikeSh said:

My 2008 USA Ford had it, so it's common if not required over there.

Like I said earlier, we in the UK just get shafted compared to other countries.

Japan is a prime example, their spec is far far better than ours.  When I was shopping around for my current YC Premiere, I saw a Japanese import one on Autotrader, you should have seen the spec it had and the interior colour was excellent.

But with imports, you get shafted on insurance and car tax.

If you mean remotely sounding the horn to help locate the car, that's not a thing on our ones. TBH I've only ever seen cars with that feature in the USA - It's very uncommon on UK/Euro-spec cars.

I kinda get why, as the one time I was in the USA I got lost in the car park of a strip mall because it was so gigantic! It's the only country where I've driven from one side of the car park to the other to go to a different shop without feeling exceptionally lazy or shameful... because it was a 10 minute drive! In a car park!! :eek: 

This just isn't anywhere near as big a problem in the UK :laugh: 

I know what you mean about the jappy-spec ones - So much cool stuff we don't get!! But that's always been the case - Did you know the GR Yaris is not the first Yaris with AWD - Literally *every* Yaris from the Mk1 onwards has been available with AWD!!! :eek: 

But only in Japan! :laugh: 

To be fair, even if those things were available, we still probably wouldn't get them here; Not because they're shafting us, but because Toyota UK are shafting us. (They still seriously believe the UK market doesn't want heated seats in the normal Yaris! :wacko: )

25 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If you mean remotely sounding the horn to help locate the car, that's not a thing on our ones. TBH I've only ever seen cars with that feature in the USA - It's very uncommon on UK/Euro-spec cars.

I kinda get why, as the one time I was in the USA I got lost in the car park of a strip mall because it was so gigantic! It's the only country where I've driven from one side of the car park to the other to go to a different shop without feeling exceptionally lazy or shameful... because it was a 10 minute drive! In a car park!! :eek: 

This just isn't anywhere near as big a problem in the UK :laugh: 

I know what you mean about the jappy-spec ones - So much cool stuff we don't get!! But that's always been the case - Did you know the GR Yaris is not the first Yaris with AWD - Literally *every* Yaris from the Mk1 onwards has been available with AWD!!! :eek: 

But only in Japan! :laugh: 

To be fair, even if those things were available, we still probably wouldn't get them here; Not because they're shafting us, but because Toyota UK are shafting us. (They still seriously believe the UK market doesn't want heated seats in the normal Yaris! :wacko: )

I totally relate to your USA comment, I've used that many a time in the states to locate the car😄.

My query on this in the UK was not for locating the car, because we are all bunched together, it was for emergency situations, such as seeing some toe rag near my car or if my wife needed to activate it just for some attention (hopefully).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Like I said earlier, we in the UK just get shafted compared to other countries.

Pretty sure that's not true. All businesses in every country will aim to maximise their profit, which translates to shafting their customers whenever possible.

Different countries have different cultures and thus different priorities, so international companies tailor their products to the different markets. I expect bullet resistant glass is probably an option for some/many US cars but I doubt it's in much demand here (politicians excepted).

Adding things like panic buttons to a car costs money and pushes up the sticker price. If only one in a thousand buyers wants it then they'd be effectively shafting the other 999 by forcing them to have and pay for it.

Personally I feel shafted in not being able to get a car these days without 'privacy' glass in the back - a Yaris is not a limousine. So I'm paying for something only teenagers really care about.

And what about EVERY car advert on British TV that has the small print at the bottom of the TV screen that's states Not A UK Specification!!!  That's because if it showed the UK spec car, it would be a wooden cart with a horse with a starting base price of £30k and if you want some Hay, it will be another £5k.

We are just a easy touch in so many ways!!

• Haha 3

On 6/7/2024 at 9:26 PM, MikeSh said:

Pretty sure that's not true. All businesses in every country will aim to maximise their profit, which translates to shafting their customers whenever possible.

Different countries have different cultures and thus different priorities, so international companies tailor their products to the different markets. I expect bullet resistant glass is probably an option for some/many US cars but I doubt it's in much demand here (politicians excepted).

Adding things like panic buttons to a car costs money and pushes up the sticker price. If only one in a thousand buyers wants it then they'd be effectively shafting the other 999 by forcing them to have and pay for it.

Personally I feel shafted in not being able to get a car these days without 'privacy' glass in the back - a Yaris is not a limousine. So I'm paying for something only teenagers really care about.

Just a point on the Privacy Glass comment, I totally agree, but I do personally like it and I did run my own Tinting Company many years ago, as side line to my main job and helped to pay to do the inside of our house up, because way back then, we could only afford the actual building 🤣.

After my daughter passed her driving test at 18 and after she practiced "proper" driving for a while in her wee Ford Ka I got her, I upgraded her to a Mk2 Aygo, which didn't have rear window tints.  I paid to have them done (I had already sold all my tinting materials) and also paid extra after informing the insurance company.  The reason for this was I just felt uneasy that people could easily see a young 18 year old female driving on her own.  Whether it helped or not, it did look good and it also made me sleep better at night 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links