Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High pitched noise while driving

Toyotaowner6582

Hi, first time poster. 

I own an Auris hybrid 62k miles. Overall, happy with it. 

Recently, I have noticed a high pitched noise when driving. Happens at low speeds when in EV mode (less than 20 mph). I think its coming from one of the driver side wheels.  The noise disappears when the speed picks up above 30 mph after engine kicks in. It also reduces when I apply the breaks initially. Some days it doesn't happen at all. Some days minimal and other days it's louder. I took a recording of it: please follow link. 

https://files.fm/u/me2t8w3sjn

Any thoughts what it could be? 

Thanks

Sounds like brake bind to me.

• Like 1

My Yaris does this sometimes; I find the best way to get rid of it is to build up some speed on a quiet fast road, flick it into N and then brake firmly (Not like emergency stop levels, but strong enough to get some strong braking force while light enough the car still moves a good distance so the wheels still go round a few times) and it seems to clear it.

My theory is the car uses the regen brakes so much the friction brakes don't get used enough and the pad and disc surfaces get covered in corrosion which is creating this squealing/screeching sound.

The other possibility is your brakes are actually worn and it's the wear indicator rubbing against the brake disc to warn you.

• Like 1

Check the brake pads for wear. If the pads are worn and indicators are touching the discs when applying the brakes the noise will disappear and appear again when not using  the brakes. Look for excessive brake dust on the wheels. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links