Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla HB back pain - help please!

CTDublin

Hi all 👋

I purchased a lovely 2019 Corolla Hatchback Luna (pics attached) this year and I love almost everything about it, but unfortunately I've developed lower back pain from driving it (I have never had an issue with my back, ever) 😒 Hoping someone might be able to give me some advice please. I own the car two months now and have not done any serious mileage yet (city driving only and no motorway driving). I have developed lower back pain (lower middle to right of my back), and less obvious hip pain (it's there but not pronounced yet). I'm based in Ireland so it's right hand drive and automatic.

Could the car just not be right for me? I am a first time car owner, so I'm sure it could be user error in terms of seat positioning etc...but perhaps not? I passed my test earlier this year after doing all my lessons in a Yaris. I frequently did 2 hour lessons on back to back days and not once did my back hurt, so I'm surprised at the difference.

Anyone else experienced similar and have any worldy advice for me please? Also, could anyone recommend any cushions/supports (not that I think I should need one)?

Thank you!

Car 1.jpg

Car 2.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CTDublin said:

Hi all 👋

I purchased a lovely 2019 Corolla Hatchback Luna (pics attached) this year and I love almost everything about it, but unfortunately I've developed lower back pain from driving it (I have never had an issue with my back, ever) 😒 Hoping someone might be able to give me some advice please. I own the car two months now and have not done any serious mileage yet (city driving only and no motorway driving). I have developed lower back pain (lower middle to right of my back), and less obvious hip pain (it's there but not pronounced yet). I'm based in Ireland so it's right hand drive and automatic.

Could the car just not be right for me? I am a first time car owner, so I'm sure it could be user error in terms of seat positioning etc...but perhaps not? I passed my test earlier this year after doing all my lessons in a Yaris. I frequently did 2 hour lessons on back to back days and not once did my back hurt, so I'm surprised at the difference.

Anyone else experienced similar and have any worldy advice for me please? Also, could anyone recommend any cushions/supports (not that I think I should need one)?

Thank you!

Car 1.jpg

Car 2.jpg

Speaking as someone who had a back operation in 2006 for a trapped cord caused by an rta.

lower your seat as much as comfortable. 
move it forward  

lower the steering wheel and pull it towards you

and make sure the ac is not pointing at your shoulders. 
give it a go and let us know 

• Like 3

Thank you both so much,  I appreciate you taking the time to reply 😊 I'll follow your advice (seat position sounds different to my approach) and the details in the PDF and give it a go for a few days. I shall let you know how I get on. Thanks again!

• Like 1

In my Corolla the lower part of the seat can be adjusted with inflation. Fully inflated it feels really uncomfortable.

I'm from Denmark, so trims and equipment does'nt match.

• Like 1

When I first drove a similar Corolla I had a sore back too.

For me, putting the seat height all the way up helped as it seemed quite a bit lower than my auris. also, not having the lumbar support set too much, I’ve had loan cars where the previous driver had it fully out which was very uncomfortable  

It’s similar with the newer Honda civics, they have been getting lower. Probably one reason why SUV style cars are popular with the better driving position  

this guide helped me set the seat up:

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/services/recaro-seat-fit-guide

apparently the facelifts are 2cm higher than before, so they seem to now be going back more to the seat height my auris had  

• Like 2

It may be because the seat shape is odd if it's like mine: the seat has a small diagonal section between the horizontal bit you sit on and the vertical bit you rest your back against. I've not seen a seat like that before. It doesn't affect me but this diagonal section could be pressing up on your back badly.

Also the horizontal part you sit on slopes down from front to back which might not be ideal. You can search for a wedge-shaped medical support cushion to try and make the seat more level and not sloped (but check the dimensions of the seat first to make sure it fits).

If you don't want to use a cushion and can't find a decent position unfortunately you might be best off in the long run looking for a different car. Unless someone can suggest swapping the driver seat or something.

In future it's best to try to go on an extended test drive or even just sit in the car for extended period to make sure it's compatible with you. Don't let the salesman pressure you into believing his car is the only one for you.

• Like 3

I like to sit upright and I set the seat for this when I got my Corolla, however I did get back ache.  I overcame it by reclining the backrest one notch.  not my preferred driving position but better for my back.  I also agree with Paul John, try lowering the seat.

Best to try one thing at a time.

• Like 5

Being of a certain age, I sometimes suffer with lower back pain.   Generally speaking, medical advice seems to be to recline the seat back as far as is consistent with being able to reach the steering wheel, controls, etc., because doing so means that the seat back supports more of your upper body weight.    This compared with sitting upright where more of your upper body weight presses on your lower back.   On a long journey I find that varying the amount of lumbar support helps.

• Like 3

The latest gen4 Yaris actually gave me lower back pain and another member here too. Bought a back cushion and it has helped. Ali express for £10-11. Screenshot_2024-01-17-11-50-39-059_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.thumb.jpg.f02045754819bcc40f3125ad9273187c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm back with an update and thankfully it's good news. First off, thank you for your help and suggestions 👍 After a break of a few days I started to make adjustments. I ended up with the seat higher than I had it and I've finally found the right angle for my hip and knees (started low and adjusted the height in increments of 3 pumps daily until it felt right). Lowering the seat was initially comfortable but not for very long. Also I tilted the seat a little further back than I had it - only by a notch or so but it made a difference (now 110 degree angle). And lastly my arms are in a more natural position after lowering the wheel slightly. I bought two cushions (the one above and another) but thankfully they're confined to the boot in case of an issue!

One driver behaviour change since I posted in case it helps anyone. When learning in the Yaris there was a physical handbrake, which was obviously used with frequency. My Corolla doesn't have one and instead has the very handy 'Hold' feature. On reflection I was riding the brake more often than I think I should have been doing and started to use 'Hold' more frequently since adjusting the seat. I think it was a contributing factor when combined with a dodgy seat setup!

Thanks again Corolla community 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Until it goes in for a service!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, fred88 said:

Until it goes in for a service!

It’s not too bad getting the position back once you know where the best one is. 

I’d tried marking the seat with small white stickers on a previous car. Depending on the frame and seat it gives you an idea of where to reset things. 

• Like 2

My comment  was a bit tongue in cheek, I suppose they have to do it particularly if a test drive is required but I'm sure they do it sometimes just driving it into the garage.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links