Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any major issues with RAV4 hybrid 2019

Mike90

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am interested in a hybrid RAV4 GX 2019. It has done 50,000 km. A quick search showed that the RAV4 2019 was the first hybrid model. I was wondering if there are any major issues with the hybrid RAV4 2019. What aspects should I pay attention to during the test drive? I will be buying it in New Zealand 😁

It would be worthwhile watching a few of these to get some background. Yes, it's a different market but the cars are essentially the same.

Bear in mind that any problem on early cars are addressed on later ones.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheCarCareNut/search?query=RAV4

• Like 1

We are perfectly happy with our 2020 Rav4.  All cars will have problems, including Toyotas and Lexus, but the Rav4 isn't the biggest selling SUV in the US without good reason.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike90 said:

A quick search showed that the RAV4 2019 was the first hybrid model.

The first Rav4 hybrid was introduced in 2016 (4.4). The current 4.5 is the second.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike90 said:

I am interested in a hybrid RAV4 GX 2019. It has done 50,000 km. A quick search showed that the RAV4 2019 was the first hybrid model.

So, the question is whether the car you are looking at is a late 4.4 or an early 4.5?

But the answer doesn't really matter - there are no major issues with the RAV4 hybrid ... 😉

• Like 1

Awesome, thank you all. Great information. By the way, how to check whether it is a late 4.4 or early 4.5?

4 minutes ago, Mike90 said:

Awesome, thank you all. Great information. By the way, how to check whether it is a late 4.4 or early 4.5?

It's very obvious from the shape of the grill - the big angry one is a 4.5. Check the pictures on Wikipedia

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike90 said:

These are great cars. 
Two major problem but these are specific for the uk and other markets 

1. Car thefts 

2. On some awd models rear motor high voltage cable connectors corroded- out of warranty is an expensive repair. 
Perhaps in New Zealand you won’t have to deal with those, less crime, no salt on the roads. 👍

The car theft issue is overplayed.  It'd not a problem on more recent models, and a shield can be and often is,  fitted to older models. I've had the shield fitted to my Rav4

There's a "software update" to improve security "sometime soon" but it's very quiet on that front at the moment

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

These are great cars. 
Two major problem but these are specific for the uk and other markets 

1. Car thefts 

2. On some awd models rear motor high voltage cable connectors corroded- out of warranty is an expensive repair. 
Perhaps in New Zealand you won’t have to deal with those, less crime, no salt on the roads. 👍

yeah, theft is not an issue in NZ and NZ did not use salt on the road for de-icing, so should I worry about the Cable corrosion?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links